• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Incidentally, for those really cold flying days, two words: heated socks. Gerbings and some other companies make socks that have heating elements (like an electric blanket) and are battery-powered. It's amazing how much better you feel overall just with warm toes.

If you wish to go with the non-powered version a pair of polypro sock liners with a smart wool or Thorlo sock over it helps a tremendous amount with the standard boot. My last squadron also bought us the nice wolverine brand winter boots. With that combination it's the only time I can remember my feet being warm in the back seat of the drumstick which can turn into a damn icebox while the guys in front are sweating (and ECMO1 controls the temp)

phrogpilot73

I'm here to tell you that the Nomex fleece is warm! The system is a pretty sweet setup. What I ended up getting to test was: 3 different weights of long johns, Fleece Jacket & Vest, Fleece Farmer John, Goretex Pants & Jacket, and Fleece Mask. I never wore the Fleece Mask, but I wore all of the rest. It took a bit of time to figure out what combo wasn't too hot. There were times in the winter time when I was sweating because I had selected stuff that was TOO warm. My only gripe about the system - the gloves. There were none. So I was stuck with the crappy, bulky winter gloves. My toes also got very cold, but I had invested in the battery powered socks. I actually had ones that had a remote battery pack, so the wire went up my pant leg, out my zipper and into my thigh pocket. It was nice...

Green kept you warmer even if it did have certain static electricity hazards especially around 115/145 but the leather had the same effect as wearing a 10 lb sausage in your pants. The chicks just flat out loved it.

VAmookie

Under what circumstances can i wear a "similar" G1 jacket out in town. I've a black civvy leather jacket that is ok, but I prefer the brown leather, and like navy style jacket.

What I am pretty much saying is, I want to wear my leather flight jacket as a regular jacket, but am near certain that is not permitted. Would I be permitted to purchase a near identical jacket from a civilian supplier and be able to wear that out in town? Assuming i can, how would anyone know the difference, because in theory, i could buy an old navy issue from a GI surplus store (civilian retailer right?)

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Under what circumstances can i wear a "similar" G1 jacket out in town. I've a black civvy leather jacket that is ok, but I prefer the brown leather, and like navy style jacket.

What I am pretty much saying is, I want to wear my leather flight jacket as a regular jacket, but am near certain that is not permitted. Would I be permitted to purchase a near identical jacket from a civilian supplier and be able to wear that out in town? Assuming i can, how would anyone know the difference, because in theory, i could buy an old navy issue from a GI surplus store (civilian retailer right?)

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is completely legal to wear the Leather Jacket in civvies provided there are NO patches/nametags/velcro affixed to it. Here's a source... kinda:
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/Unireg/summary.pdf

Search for civilian, and the second or third hit shows the allowed uniform items for use with civilian clothes. It doesn't specifically mention the Leather jacket... but it mentions all the others. I would interpret this to allow the leather jacket under the same permissions... besides, who ever follows the rules when it comes to their leather jacket anyway? I've seen them covered in patches... customized to no end... and worn in civvies by a lot of superiors.

MasterBates

I caught Joboy at the bar in his G1.. He did not know it was me, but I knew it was him..

Of course, I was an asshole as expected and went "Wow!!! You must be a pilot!" and then walked away, leaving Joboy confused as to what the hell just happened, and why Shrek is no longer green.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Under what circumstances can i wear a "similar" G1 jacket out in town.

If you have your own jacket, nobody can restrict you from wearing it.

If you keep your leather jacket in "virgin" condition, then I doubt anyone but a certain Master Chief on a certain carrier would object. It's not like there's Shore Patrol sweeps looking for that. On the flip side, you might want to upgrade to a vintage jacket (with honey brown mouton collar) or one with better leather. Nobody can begrudge you wearing it in town and you'd look better in uniform.

Note: My original issue jacket was stolen out of my car pierside during an onload, but it was two sizes too big anyway (leather jackets were cancelled in late 70s and all that was left when I got there were really small or really big jackets) that were made to relaxed standards. I found a new surplus jacket in a PCola surplus store for $60 and wore that until mid 80s when I bought a new Willis&Geiger jacket made to WWII spec. World of difference in heft and feel and look.

phrogpilot73

I think he's a Marine, so "Technically" he can't wear it with civvies:

Marine Corps Order P1020.24G w/Approved Changes said:
3. The flight jacket may be worn with the service uniform by only those Marines properly issued and required to maintain an authorized flight jacket according to existing regulations. The flight jacket may be worn with the service "B," "C," and service with sweater uniforms. These uniform combinations will only be worn on base, or while traveling in a private/government vehicle between local military facilities, or to and from a domicile. While traveling outside a military installation no stops are permitted. The jacket will not be worn when the service "A" uniform is considered more appropriate, nor will it be worn on leave or liberty, or with the utility uniform or civilian clothing. When the flight jacket is worn with the service uniform, only one unit/squadron (CNO/CMC approved) patch may be worn. The patch, if worn, will be on the right front of the jacket, level with the nametape on the left side.

But if it clearly looks vintage I think he can get away with it. I'm taking advantage of the "I'm not back in the Reserves yet." clause, and wearing it with civvies while I can!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I decorated my very first issue flight jacket from 1985 with patches. I eventually traded it in for a larger size. Remember I was a svelte 38R back then at age 23.

The jacket I received is made in the USA by a company called Excelled. I never put any patches on it as I didn't want any holes in the leather. I wear it with my uniform and out in town in civies. I've never had a negative comment on it yet.
CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

CIMG0269.jpg

And yes, I was an F-14 Fighter Puke...when we had them... :eek:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who's the company making the embossed-leather patches these days? Tipsy Gypsy finally got some competition...and they could deliver an order in under six months. My squadron picked up a bulk order, and nice quality work. Can't recall the company name, though.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I just hope the stain on the bottom of that bag isn't a validation of the "Jets make you poo" thread :D.

/end threadjack