• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....A4's,.....Call me a pussy....
Well, normally I wouldn't .... but since you seem determined and you ARE one of our favorite AF weenies, I must try to accommodate you.

You are a pussy. So's your jacket.

Just tryin' to please, that's all .... :)

HuggyU2

None
...if a uniform (or Nomex jacket) is in clean, presentable condition, it can be worn off-base. If not, it can't.
Whoa, whoa...!! This is WAY too common sense an approach! Don't you know you're in DoD?? It can NEVER be this simple!!

Anyway, the only thing I've ever heard about Nomex jackets is back in the late '90's when they started trying to Air Force-ize the jackets. Certain number of patches, squadron and nametag only, etc. This was at the tail end of the Tailhook crackdowns, and Naval Aviation seemed to put its collective foot down when it came to jackets and patches and ignored the new rules.
Although it isn't our tradition in the USAF, Naval Aviation has a pretty neat tradition with the cruise patches they wear on their jackets. Please do not let the shoe clerks succeed in killing that tradition.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa, whoa...!! This is WAY too common sense an approach! Don't you know you're in DoD?? It can NEVER be this simple!!

Although it isn't our tradition in the USAF, Naval Aviation has a pretty neat tradition with the cruise patches they wear on their jackets. Please do not let the shoe clerks succeed in killing that tradition.

Never said I actually thought it would happen. :icon_tong

I think that was why the jacket "cleanup" was DOA. So many senior dudes, skippers and such, had their jackets festooned with all their "USS Boat-That's-Now-Razor-Blades Centurion" and cruise patches. Who'd want to give up all that salt?

I think the sort of armed truce that evolved between Big Navy and the Fleet was that leather jackets would be minimally patched, and would be "uniform" jackets, while Amazing Technicolor Nomex Jackets were still allowed, but if so they were considered "working uniform". Patching up leather jackets (I mean all over, not name/squadron/airplane type) seems to be going out of fashion anyway, so everyone lived with it. It's not regulated, but seemed to be one of those great Navy unwritten-rule things.
The on-the-Boat/off-the-Boat thing is strictly a Shoe thing, and it's up to the discretion of the Skipper, or the pier SOPA, or base CO. So, I'd say to the CMC in question, "When Skipper tells me to stop wearing it, I'll stop. But first you gotta tell him to stop wearing his."

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'd say to the CMC in question, "When Skipper tells me to stop wearing it, I'll stop. But first you gotta tell him to stop wearing his."
I wouldn't even given him that. I'd stick with Fudog's "Noted". The second time he did it, I'd probably tell him to "go away".

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only "green" flight jacket that's worth a damn is in reality a "liner" for a winter flying suit --- it was referred to as "green nylon" but I don't think it was REALLY nylon but rather some other fire resistant material. It's not in the system any more as far as I know ... it had a knit collar, knit sleeve cuffs, knit waistband, and was the usual resting place for most fellows' patch collection. It was worn with khaki's, working blues, and flight suits and was a constant companion in the aircraft on cold days or on X-country's to cold climes ... it could even be worn while you were strapped into an ejection seat. If you wanted to get really fancy, you would couple it with a wolverine fur-rimmed hood to make an outfit that would stand up to the coldest WX we'd encounter on the platform in the Sea of Japan ... it was also what we wore to Cold WX survival in the middle of winter on Mt. Baker.

The later "nomex" kinda gray-green jacket was reserved for pussies and O-4's and above. It was NOT something that was lusted after ...

The good "green nylon" jacket material is represented in the background under this patch ... it's similar to helmet bag material.

I liked it's light weight and look, but found it almost too warm. Some of the companies that still offer it call it the "WEP" jacket, but it is a Winter Flying Suit Jacket (as noted by A4s) that was designed to be worn over a dry or "poopy" suit. It was a ultra popular jacket for the Marines for years and when "Snort" had VF-33, literally all his JOs took to wearing Aviation Working Greens (when not in bags) with that jacket. It was actually part of a two piece ensemble that included pants as well (with buttons that attached the two together). Never saw anyone wear it as designed, but saw plenty of them worn as Flight jackets and when I started checking, only found a couple that were issued as it was so popular, most folks bought them for themselves. I also agree that is looks and feels axactly like the helmet bag material.

g8wep.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Winter Flying Suit Jacket (as noted by A4s) that was designed to be worn over a dry or "poopy" suit. ....

g8wep.jpg

THAT's right --- OVER the poopy suit, not a "liner" .... ergo the little buttons on the inside. Don't know where that one came from, except it might be the result of the years that have passed since I made a conscious decision NOT to wear underwear anymore .... underwear ....THAT goes "under" .... what a waste. :) That's why I like 'da Territory so much ... it's warm.

Still ... while "the green" ain't a leather flying jacket --- it's probably the best overall jacket we had and I had several. It worked with your zoom bag and soooooooo many uniforms and was patch friendly, to boot .....

Cold WX man-up Sea of Japan '74-'75-ish ... complete with a type of "poopy/dry" suit and (long) underwear ... and Baby it's COLD outside ... let's go back to the P.I. :D

dsc02001brightsmalltm5.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I was told that those jackets are still in the supply system. I've always meant to order one. Several pilots (including the skipper) in my last squadron wore them. I just never got around to it. I have my leather one (which I normally wear) and 3 or 4 green nomex jackets of varying thickness. My favorite one was in my leads blivet when it exploded on the VR-222 south of Vegas. Some meth-head desert rat is probably wearing it as we speak.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AF, obviously, is far more aviation focused than the Navy. They can even wear flights suits in DC. The warrior culture of the AF is centered on the pilot. In the Navy and Marine Corps, it's not.

The Joint Staff started letting everyone, Navy included, wear their flight suits almost very day. This has led to many other Navy types in the area to wear their flight suits, they are quite common where I work.

snake020

Contributor
The Naval Aviators stationed at my last air force base for their joint assignments also regularly wore their flight suits every day like the AF, even though none of them were on flying orders. Perhaps it's time to elect someone with wings as the next CNO?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps it's time to elect someone with wings as the next CNO?

We elect our president who nominates our three and four star admirals (rank comes with position, not through a promotion board after reaching two star rank (0-8)) after interview process and counsel of CNO and SECNAV. President also nominates the SECNAV and other key "appointees" all of which must be confirmed by the Senate. Note: same process in effect for other services as well.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
There is also a legal cap on how many flag officers there can be in all services at one time, correct?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There is also a legal cap on how many flag officers there can be in all services at one time, correct?

God, if only .... do you realize that there are MORE Flag/GO's on active duty today than at any time during the 2nd World War, i.e., when we had from 14-16 million personnel under arms, depending on what source document you care to use ???

Talk about medal inflation ... :)

/ green flight jacket threadjack ...