• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Additional fun fact: when getting out from overseas you can pick from an approved list of places to function as your TPU. I chose Pensacola vice getting treated like a criminal at Norfolk.

When was that? I tried similar coming back from Bahrain, but it was an uphill battle and I ended up giving in and going through TPU Norfolk (in actuality, not bad at all. I was in and out on Terminal leave in a few days)

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
When was that? I tried similar coming back from Bahrain, but it was an uphill battle and I ended up giving in and going through TPU Norfolk (in actuality, not bad at all. I was in and out on Terminal leave in a few days)
Early 2020, right before COVID hit (which caused my HHG to get delayed until late Summer). MILPERSMAN 1910-812 is the relevant instruction, specifically paragraphs 4 and 5 (which has the short list of alternate separation locations). I called the PERSO at Pensacola, referenced the instruction and asked nicely if they could support me. I then had to deal with the SWO-minded Sixth Fleet PSD, which may have been an uphill battle but I came armed with the printed out (and highlighted) instruction, along with the PERSO's contact info. I essentially did the legwork for them, which made it a lot harder to give me the brush off. Just because it's not the typical thing they usually do doesn't mean "No" is a valid answer...especially when it's specifically authorized.

*Link provided for the Bubbas who may be in a similar situation soon: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Porta...ion/1910-812.pdf?ver=1srkdYWUPjBAUkoV0pwrEg==

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Early 2020, right before COVID hit (which caused my HHG to get delayed until late Summer). MILPERSMAN 1910-812 is the relevant instruction, specifically paragraphs 4 and 5 (which has the short list of alternate separation locations). I called the PERSO at Pensacola, referenced the instruction and asked nicely if they could support me. I then had to deal with the SWO-minded Sixth Fleet PSD, which may have been an uphill battle but I came armed with the printed out (and highlighted) instruction, along with the PERSO's contact info. I essentially did the legwork for them, which made it a lot harder to give me the brush off. Just because it's not the typical thing they usually do doesn't mean "No" is a valid answer...especially when it's specifically authorized.

*Link provided for the Bubbas who may be in a similar situation soon: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Reference/MILPERSMAN/1000/1900Separation/1910-812.pdf?ver=1srkdYWUPjBAUkoV0pwrEg==
Fair. I tried to do the same at NS Great Lakes and they could support, but couldn’t guarantee the correctness of my DD214 as they don’t do many. That was enough to scare me into Norfolk

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I remember a dude who got the contract PRs in Corpus to make him a standard issue leather nametag like everybody gets when they check into API, and had that sewn onto his….G1.

Total blasphemy.
If this guy's initial's are NW, we may know the same guy. I saw him wearing it once and probably visibly cringed.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I’ve always gone with Wings & Things in P’cola for jacket-related sewing. They do online orders and you can ship to them to have work done. Turnaround time was reasonable last time I had anything done - sewed on a couple of Tipsy Gypsy leather squadron patches - maybe a week from when I shipped it to when I had it back. Maybe a little more time and effort but you know they know what they’re doing, including exactly where things should be placed. A local biker shop probably wouldn’t.

I vaguely recall a few years ago that the uniform regs were changed to only permit a nametag on leathers. But yeah, everyone ignored the change and kept doing whatever they felt like doing.
Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I don't think Wings & Things exists anymore. I placed an order like 6 weeks ago for a subdued ASO patch since the school ran out when I went through the class and they never showed up. The brick-and-mortar establishment out the front gate of NAS Pensacola has been replaced by a gun shop, too.

GroundPounder

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I don't think Wings & Things exists anymore. I placed an order like 6 weeks ago for a subdued ASO patch since the school ran out when I went through the class and they never showed up. The brick-and-mortar establishment out the front gate of NAS Pensacola has been replaced by a gun shop, too.

Their Yelp review's 2nd entry is someone describing paying for 45.00 worth of patches that they never got, and can't get refunded for, from 18 June 23.

THEFT by SWINDLE or OUTRIGHT THEFT?

I ordered an embossed name patch online on Feb 8, 2023. The website indicated it would take eight plus weeks. I received no acknowledgment so I emailed them.

I received a reply that they received my order but it would take TWELVE weeks to get my order and they immediately charged my credit card $45.44

12 WEEKS came and went, no patch. 13 WEEKS passed and no patch or contact.

I emailed THREE TIMES and called TWICE, NO response. After leaving a message a THIRD TIME I received an email indicating my order status as "REFUNDED."

I checked my credit card statement, the "people" at Wings and Things did NOT refund my money. More emails, no response. I then contacted my credit card company to get my money back. It's been TWO weeks and Wings and Things still REFUSES to return the money.

Again, THEFT by SWINDLE or OUTRIGHT THEFT?

AVOID this company and use VanguardDotCom, FlightjacketDotCom, Gibson-barnesDotCom OR any other reputable company.

If you do make a mistake and order from them, be certain to check that they deliver what you ordered, and if you request a refund, they actually return your money.

*TO WINGS & THINGS, don't bother trying to contradict this review, I have documents of everything I wrote in the review.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weird…I ordered patches/custom command nametags from them early in the summer and actually received them (AFRICOM uses them of all places for patches and name tags). It did take forever though. I placed my order at the end of April and got it the second week of June.

Google maps shows they moved closer to downtown.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Weird…I ordered patches/custom command nametags from them early in the summer and actually received them (AFRICOM uses them of all places for patches and name tags). It did take forever though. I placed my order at the end of April and got it the second week of June.

Google maps shows they moved closer to downtown.
Was just inside Wings and Things. They used to have two locations. They have since closed their shop outside the Pcola main gate. They're now solely on Hwy 98. Still have all the same services. Just picked up my jacket before I PCS'd. Ended up getting leather nametape with first/last and American flag on left shoulder.