• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do y'all recommend the velcro nametape for the Leather Jacket or sewing?

Honestly my mind immediately jumped to how it's harder to steal one with the nametape sewn on, but not by much.

Sewing. Sometimes near Navy bases there will be a place people go regularly that knows how to do it well. Whoever does it needs to open up the liner. It's not something I would have a PR3 Timmy do for a few Monster energy drinks. The G1 is something you'll cherish later on, take care of it.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Sewing. Sometimes near Navy bases there will be a place people go regularly that knows how to do it well. Whoever does it needs to open up the liner. It's not something I would have a PR3 Timmy do for a few Monster energy drinks. The G1 is something you'll cherish later on, take care of it.
I remember a dude who got the contract PRs in Corpus to make him a standard issue leather nametag like everybody gets when they check into API, and had that sewn onto his….G1.

Total blasphemy.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The G1 is something you'll cherish later on, take care of it.
Not to mention nearly impossible to replace if you lose or fuck it up. I'm convinced the Navy keeps closer tabs on its stock of G1s than its nukes.

I heard once it's due to years of folks abusing the supply system - Chiefs getting their buddies to hook them up with a cool jacket, etc - but there it is.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I remember a dude who got the contract PRs in Corpus to make him a standard issue leather nametag like everybody gets when they check into API, and had that sewn onto his….G1.

Total blasphemy.
Meh. It’s not so bad.

1695652842926.jpg

Edit: If it gets worn or you get tired of it, the custom name tags are large enough to cover the spot where the old one used to be.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention nearly impossible to replace if you lose or fuck it up. I'm convinced the Navy keeps closer tabs on its stock of G1s than its nukes.

I heard once it's due to years of folks abusing the supply system - Chiefs getting their buddies to hook them up with a cool jacket, etc - but there it is.
I was issued my first G1 in 1986 at Aircrew School. When I returned as an SNFO for gear issue during API (1996), the gear issue folks said, "you have already been issued a G1." My mind was blown.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I am...shocked...that such a thing would occur. But in the end it is justified, can't be messing up their nice new Corinthian leather office chairs all the Chiefs in Maintenance Control happened to get...checks calendar...right about now.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about a leather American flag on the left shoulder?
Whatever you think looks good is fine. I’ve seen flags and wti patches on leather jackets, and some people just choose to leave the shoulders empty. There’s no right or wrong way to do it.

TyKing

pilot
Anybody know a place in Jax to have the side entry hand pockets install on your leather jacket?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Anybody know a place in Jax to have the side entry hand pockets install on your leather jacket?

I forgot to say in my above post, but if you don't get Jax suggestions, consider calling motorcycle gear stores and asking.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I had my nametag in Jax sewn on at Adamec Harley. The woman who does it has the heavy duty thread and needles. I’ve also had work done at leather repair stores.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ve always gone with Wings & Things in P’cola for jacket-related sewing. They do online orders and you can ship to them to have work done. Turnaround time was reasonable last time I had anything done - sewed on a couple of Tipsy Gypsy leather squadron patches - maybe a week from when I shipped it to when I had it back. Maybe a little more time and effort but you know they know what they’re doing, including exactly where things should be placed. A local biker shop probably wouldn’t.
Whatever you think looks good is fine. I’ve seen flags and wti patches on leather jackets, and some people just choose to leave the shoulders empty. There’s no right or wrong way to do it.
I vaguely recall a few years ago that the uniform regs were changed to only permit a nametag on leathers. But yeah, everyone ignored the change and kept doing whatever they felt like doing.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

If you want to get all "dot the I and cross the T" like:
(a) Brown Jacket Insignia/Patches. Insignia/patches will be worn on brown leather flight jackets as follows:

(1) Attachments. Logos may be affixed either hook and pile or directly to the jacket. Hook and pile fasteners will be black or brown and cut to the shape of the logo to be affixed.

(2) Left Breast. Black or brown 2 inches by 4 inches leather name tag. Centered in the top field will be the aircrew designation insignia (i.e., pilot, NFO aircrew EAWS, etc.). The name in block letters will occupy the lower field and will include a minimum first name or initial and last name. The use of name accents is authorized. Where appropriate, billet title (i.e., CO, XO, CAG, etc.) is optional.

(3) Optional Logos. One command patch may be worn over the right breast pocket. Maximum width may not exceed 4-1/2 inches. No other patches are authorized.
That being said, almost everyone I know has the flag, nametag, and squadron patch.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
For what it’s worth, they will issue
I was issued my first G1 in 1986 at Aircrew School. When I returned as an SNFO for gear issue during API (1996), the gear issue folks said, "you have already been issued a G1." My mind was blown.
For what it's worth, the API gouge of "just bring back the original and your NATOPS Jacket for a replacement" is 100% valid. My original issued jacket was damaged in a small garage fire (thank you sketchy Italian definitely-not-to-code wiring) and during my time checking out of Pensacola I just swung on by the Paraloft with my burnt up G1 and NATOPS jacket. The nice lady there laughed at my old burnt G1, made a notation in section 1 of my NATOPS jacket and handed me a brand new leather jacket. That's it. No wrangling with my orders, nothing. The most painless Navy related thing of my entire life. Thankfully I thought ahead of time and threw my spare Tipsy Gypsy patch in my luggage and after a trip to Wings & Things to get it sewn on I was good to go!

Additional fun fact: when getting out from overseas you can pick from an approved list of places to function as your TPU. I chose Pensacola vice getting treated like a criminal at Norfolk.