• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And yet, for all the controversy and orders to remove it from jackets, I don't remember hearing anything from Fox or Groening about this.
hook patch.jpg
With the news playing out the way it did, I could see them wanting to squash it.

not_the_lasagna

pilot
So it looks like Wings N Things will do the embossed name tags and flags for the leather jacket. Does anyone know of a good place to have them sewn on over here in Jax?
I can vouch for Gus' luggage repair like Waveoff suggested. They open up the liner and put em on for you for $40. Did solid work.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Reading over this thread, there is much debate on the merits of the Wings-n-things patches, with no examples. As Typsy Gypsy still has no Navy license to make patches, and the Jax NEX personnel quitting, I pulled the trigger on the w-n-t embossed ones and figured I'd post an example of what they actually look like to let ya'll be the judge. I ordered the flag as well because I figured that was a requirement, only to learn that officially, the opposite is true. 'Course, there seems to be absolutely zero consistency in how anyone is wearing their leather, which is just fine by me. Personally, I'll probably just stick with the name tag.

Also, to the ensign in API/NIFE whatever it is now reading through this thread, heed the advice of your seniors and get a size up. Odds are you will not be the lanky lad/lass you are fresh out of -insert commissioning source here-.

Gouge I hear is to go out in town to have them put on, let ya'll know how that goes.
Nobody will give a single shit about you having a flag on your leather jacket. That said, yes it's technically against the regs.

Now sunglasses, as an LSO? Hands in Massif jacket pockets? The chiefs will be all over you.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Nobody will give a single shit about you having a flag on your leather jacket. That said, yes it's technically against the regs.

Now sunglasses, as an LSO? Hands in Massif jacket pockets? The chiefs will be all over you.
Also, Tipsy Gypsy is typically 6 months behind, at least as of 6 years ago. So might just be backed up and not wanting new orders? Although my understanding is they loved taking the money and delivering late, so might not be their MO to turn down business.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Anyone have a lead on who makes the oval ‘Hornet 4000 Hours’ embroidered patches? Wanted to order a custom riff on that patch for a buddies CoC, and have been noodling around on different patch company sites, trying to figure out who would be good and cost effective for a very limited order.

johnboyA6E

None
The copyright thing in this case, and we aren't too far apart in age and in my ~20 years of dealing with patches I've never heard of a vendor ever having an issue with 'copyright' either with one exception.

The only copyright issue that I've heard of is with VAQ-209 and their squadron patch that some vendors had questions about, but apparently they have a letter (framed) supposedly from George Lucas saying they are allowed to use Darth Vader on their patch. Even then they didn't have a lot of issues.

View attachment 34941

I don't think we ever had a problem with this one

1652269666840.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone have a lead on who makes the oval ‘Hornet 4000 Hours’ embroidered patches?

They may come from MD/Boeing. For the -60 patches, you could just ask the local tech rep who would then order them from Sikorsky for you.

You may have to just make your own.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think we ever had a problem with this one

View attachment 35025

There are plenty of patches out there that have copyrighted stuff on them but few that are 'official' and from I can see that was an unofficial one for VA-36 in its last iteration.

What a squadron's official patch is and the one they actually use can occasionally be different, my first squadron's 'official' patch on the Naval History and Heritage Command's website is not the same one we wore nor is our former sister squadron's though the website doesn't appear to have been update for a while.

Notanaviator

Contributor
They may come from MD/Boeing. For the -60 patches, you could just ask the local tech rep who would then order them from Sikorsky for you.

You may have to just make your own.

Yep, this would be sort of a joke patch modeled on that one - wasn't sure if there was a good go-to for custom jobs, and probably not so much for a one off non-squadron sized order.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, this would be sort of a joke patch modeled on that one - wasn't sure if there was a good go-to for custom jobs, and probably not so much for a one off non-squadron sized order.
Just another thought: Maybe a wooden plaque with the patch engraved on it with his odd number of flight hours would be cheaper and easier to accomplish prior to the COC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What a squadron's official patch is and the one they actually use can occasionally be different, my first squadron's 'official' patch on the Naval History and Heritage Command's website is not the same one we wore nor is our former sister squadron's though the website doesn't appear to have been update for a while.

I was curious to see what that site would show for HSL-41. The information on there is half right. The patch displayed on there is the correct "approved" patch, but the dates are incorrect.. Apparently the original patch (Osprey attacking a sub) never technically was approved by Congress (or at least never fully went through the approval process), so the patch that the community had been using since day 1 was all of sudden determined to be unauthorized in 2001-2002. They quickly got a new one approved (the one on that site) with the Seahawk breaking the sub in half in 2002.

The irony is that now if you go to HSM-41, they sell throwback patches that are of the original, unapproved patch, and everyone wears them. What's old is new again.

joe dirt

pilot
Any follow-up on this? Looking to have my pockets opened up and the liner replaced with something warmer.
Took 10 jackets from guys in the squadron to San Diego Leather a few months back to have the side entry pockets put in…think it was like $20 a jacket or something pretty cheap. They did a good job and turnaround was quick.