• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Corpsmanup780

pilot
I posted a place in VA Beach that does it earlier in this thread. Highly recommended, even if you have to ship it up there. You only get one leather jacket, don’t fuck it up by being a cheap ass (not to you specifically).
I saw that post but it seemed like you had to go to the place in person based on the post. I will check them out.

For those of you interested but not wanting to look back at all the pages to find the name of the place it is called "Bikers Depot" in VA Beach.

Last edited:

travdoc

I saw that post but it seemed like you had to go to the place in person based on the post. I will check them out.

For those of you interested but not wanting to look back at all the pages to find the name of the place it is called "Bikers Depot" in VA Beach.

Thanks for the info! Also, congrats in advance on getting your Wings, from a fellow HM :)

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Would it really make sense to shoot them an email and get in line if you're currently in flight school? It looks like a lot of squadrons (in VFA land at least) do custom name tags so do you just rock the normal one through the RAG and then swap it out for a squadron specific one later?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Would it really make sense to shoot them an email and get in line if you're currently in flight school? It looks like a lot of squadrons (in VFA land at least) do custom name tags so do you just rock the normal one through the RAG and then swap it out for a squadron specific one later?

I think it looks terrible when not sewn on (when the alternative is velcro). I'd highly recommend getting a Tipsy Gypsy generic one and not get another one that's specific to your squadron. I always thought that was stupid until you make Skipper and you can be like "yeah, that was my command." Not only that, but of the two orders I saw happen in my squadron, the first order, literally every single person except one had completed their entire tour and moved on to the next tour before actually getting their order from TG; the second order, almost the same scenario- only slightly better.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Dan’s right. The leather patches look best when sewn on. There’s not an elegant way to take them off once they’re on unless your new patch completely covers the holes in the leather. I think I had a different leather name tag sewn on my jacket and was able to remove it for a TG one once I got one. But I ended up layering my two squadron patches because the shore tour patch was smaller than the 26 patch. I don’t have a boat patch but if I did I wouldn’t have layered it on top of my last squadron patch because the VX-1 patch looks a lot cooler than the random collection of stuff that makes up a boat patch.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

They’re so hard to get these days I doubt anyone would say anything if yours wasn’t a custom job. Just name only or name over “United States Navy”/“U.S. Navy” with wings. Add a flag and fleet squadron patch when you can, and that’s a classic look.

Pags

N/A
pilot
They’re so hard to get these days I doubt anyone would say anything if yours wasn’t a custom job. Just name only or name over “United States Navy”/“U.S. Navy” with wings. Add a flag and fleet squadron patch when you can, and that’s a classic look.
No one ever said a thing to me about the customization of my leather jacket. Once you've had more than one tour I think it's expected that your jackets will have a "personal touch" to go with all the salt you've accrued.

Bottom line is that you're the one who's going to have to wear it so make it something that YOU like.

I'd also recommend getting a nice leather jacket to go with nice leather patches.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
No one ever said a thing to me about the customization of my leather jacket. Once you've had more than one tour I think it's expected that your jackets will have a "personal touch" to go with all the salt you've accrued.

Bottom line is that you're the one who's going to have to wear it so make it something that YOU like.

I'd also recommend getting a nice leather jacket to go with nice leather patches.

I meant custom leather name tag.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are a few of us "Docs" Around here. Apparently Navy medicine just isn't exciting enough for us haha.
And the fun callsigns that come from your previous career. To name a few: Flick (Deflate an old guy), Knuckles (Big Hands), Coors (Silver Bullet), HotDoc (too soon? :D)...

Tigerjr

"Druncle"
Any gouge on where to get a blood chit sewn into your jacket? I've heard that Korea just outside of Osan is the place to go, but was wondering if there were any other suggestions / alternatives...