• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
For 30 years ... my 2-3 airline BRAIN-BAGs were adorned w/ USN, A-4, A-6, 'been there', and American Flag stickers ... amongst other things that 'mattered' to me ...

I wanted all those M-Fuckers overseas to KNOW that I was a product of American sunshine ... :)

I knew the potential 'risks' ... and I decided to do what I did ...

Wouldn't your US-based airline's uniform, plus the US-based aircraft you were either piloting, on, or traveling to/from, kind of give it away?

Of course, I'm in no way questioning your judgement on what was obviously a wholly personal decision for you as a civilian. I just don't see much of a difference.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wouldn't your US-based airline's uniform, plus the US-based aircraft you were either piloting, on, or traveling to/from, kind of give it away?

Of course, I'm in no way questioning your judgement on what was obviously a wholly personal decision for you as a civilian. I just don't see much of a difference.

Not in town ... or in the airport ... or on the way to/from town ... a uniform is a uniform and a round-eye is a round-eye. We could have been Swedes for all our uniforms advertised. Besides, the company wouldn't let us take our US-marked Whale w/us to the layover hotel and we didn't want to sleep on the airplane at the airport. It all averaged out.

They guys who were the most 'invisible' OCCONUS were the El Al guys ... I always thought staying at THEIR layover hotels would be the safest, but they'd never tell us where they stayed. Security and all ... ;)

PLUS ... when you're a round-eye and the locals are 'used' to seeing airline crews around for years (decades???), they kinda figure it out. They ain't stoopid, you know ... :)

By the way ... some of the most DANGEROUS layover hotels in the world are in the good ol' USA ...

Believe it. :)

Crazy8

I wore my leather for check in at Vance. A couple Ensigns said that a Navy IP had admonished them for wearing their jackets and putting a dip in their covers. Needless to say, I was bitterly disappointed.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A couple Ensigns said that a Navy IP had admonished them for wearing their jackets and putting a dip in their covers. Needless to say, I was bitterly disappointed.

Either the IP is a douche, or the Ensigns were afraid to wear their jackets and came up with a bullshit excuse.

How is it ninety-nine IP's and INFO's can say it's okay and Ensigns won't listen, but one asshole gives you a hard time and you all trip over yourselves trying to hide your leather jackets and brown shoes?

Kids today. Grow a mustache, put on your brown leather and harden the fuck up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Either the IP is a douche, or the Ensigns were afraid to wear their jackets and came up with a bullshit excuse.

How is it ninety-nine IP's and INFO's can say it's okay and Ensigns won't listen, but one asshole gives you a hard time and you all trip over yourselves trying to hide your leather jackets and brown shoes?

It's not that far fetched a story. Pickles can probably attest to getting shit for wearing a leather as a prior AW at Vance. The AF IPs were pretty ghey about it too, since AF studs didn't get their jackets til they were winged.

The douche abides in Enid, America.

Crazy8

I haven't been here that long, but this place doesn't seem as bad as people make it out to be. After all, how can I complain about being in flight training, regardless of where it is? I just like wearing the leather and putting the dip in my cover because I like my community and its culture.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
"Civilian Clothing" Allowance For Enlisted...

<<< I wouldn't advertise that you are an American overseas... >>>

Sometimes by USN/Gov't fiat...

Left AQ "A" School in Millington in late 1958 as an E-3...PCS'ed to VQ-2 at Rota, Spain. Was informed prior to transfer uniform clothing was NOT authorized off base at Rota...civilian clothing only...even received a substantial (for that time) "clothing allowance" prior to departure!
icon10.gif

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
What about passing out on a couch in Dalewood wrapped in an American flag?

That would be a Marine Corps flag, actually.

Hard to believe I agree with A4. In that case, I MUST be wrong :icon_wink

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

THIS. I saw a kid who was on SMS today wearing the leather in the sim building today. With khakis. THAT is the attitude you need. If the fat lady comes on stage, kick her in the teeth.

Screw it. I think I'll wear my greens to work tomorrow, with a dip in my cover, just for all you nancy students (note I don't say studs) out there who refuse to embrace the trappings of the community you chose. "Oh, I think I'll jinx myself." SACK THE F UP.

MasterBates

Nice Nitt.. I should wear AWGs on duty next Wednesday (next day I actually go to work).

Commodore wore them last time he was over.. Gotta be legit..

(XO will probably lose his shit.. He loves the Aquaflage)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice . . . I always called them smurf cammies or digi-smurfs. But that'll work too.

Part of me thinks I need to buy a set on the off-chance I'm ordered to wear them. I'm still torn on whether I like the look of the actual uniform or not, but the principle of the whole thing still irks the crap out of me.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Nice . . . I always called them smurf cammies or digi-smurfs. But that'll work too.

Part of me thinks I need to buy a set on the off-chance I'm ordered to wear them. I'm still torn on whether I like the look of the actual uniform or not, but the principle of the whole thing still irks the crap out of me.

Yeah, i've been wondering the same thing. I don't see any officers around here in anything but a bag or khakis, but I haven't been over to the "fleet" RONs yet. I think i'll pick up a set of AWGs before the aquaflage.

MasterBates

Its spread in Nofawk..

As in the E2C2 RAG had a all students uniform inspection in them. And the first thing I was told when I got verbal orders to my squadron here.. "If you don't have NWUs.. GET THEM NOW".

Because we had quarters in them my 3rd day in the squadron.