• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Very smart looking Intruder.....
That Jolly Rogers Tomcat, Victory 202, is absolutely gorgeous.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Very smart looking Intruder.....
That Jolly Rogers Tomcat, Victory 202, is absolutely gorgeous.

It always irks me to see museum aircraft sitting outside. I know buildings are pricey, but it still bugs me especially after Ivan damaged so many of the Museum of Naval Aviation's aircraft that were sitting on the flight line.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
It always irks me to see museum aircraft sitting outside. I know buildings are pricey, but it still bugs me especially after Ivan damaged so many of the Museum of Naval Aviation's aircraft that were sitting on the flight line.

Particularly some of the rarer pieces in the collection....the Vigi, the P2V Truculent Turtle, etc....(me and a buddy actually got into the P5 Marlin outside and sat up in the flight station....hey it was open, prolly still is...and pissed off a very angry colony of wasps)
There were also several dozen A4 tailhooks just sitting propped up against the fence as well...this was 8 years ago.
The old straight wing FJ Fury that is inside now was outside for a long time when I was a kid there in the mid 80s...
dscn1283-med.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Particularly some of the rarer pieces in the collection....the Vigi, the P2V Truculent Turtle, etc....(me and a buddy actually got into the P5 Marlin outside and sat up in the flight station....hey it was open, prolly still is...and pissed off a very angry colony of wasps)
There were also several dozen A4 tailhooks just sitting propped up against the fence as well...this was 8 years ago.
The old straight wing FJ Fury that is inside now was outside for a long time when I was a kid there in the mid 80s...

Exactly. A lot of those aren't "just" aircraft, they're irreplacable examples of Naval Aviation History. It's nice to be able to ride the trolly past them, but part of me just feels it'd be better if they were stuffed in a hangar ala the Garber Facility until the Navy could find a safe place to display them.

The local museum here has a fenced off enclosure with examples of prominent test aircraft from the past 40yrs or so including a Vigi (1 of 2 on base. VX-23 has one on a stick in front of their hangars), a Stoof, and an F4D. The F-14 was recently repainted and our Framers are going to start working on a NA-4M soon. They're supposed to get a building made for them, but until that happens they just sit out in the sun while the birds crap on them.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I know of this SMIB museum...!!

Attachments

• Pax 010_800x600.jpg
    Pax 010_800x600.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Pax 011_800x600.jpg
    Pax 011_800x600.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Pax 012_800x600.jpg
    Pax 012_800x600.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Pax 013_800x600.jpg
    Pax 013_800x600.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Pax 016_800x600.jpg
    Pax 016_800x600.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 113

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

I went to this museum at Boeing Field about two years ago and was very disappointed to see how run down they let the planes outside get. Specifically the Concorde, 747, and 707. The paint jobs were all faded and the planes were just out there rusting.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kinda funny how they already have an F-35 on display before it even hits the fleet.

Not exactly, it's one of the subscale demonstrators used for deciding whether Boeing or LMCO would win.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
IMGP2139.jpg

MV-22 Ospreys land at MCAS New River(by VMM-162)

IMGP1996.jpg

MV-22 Osprey lands on the deck of USS Nassau.(by VMM-162)

IMGP1870.jpg

AV8-B Harriers fly over USS Nassau before landing during COMPTUEX.(by VMM-162)

IMGP1917.jpg

An AV8-B Harrier ands on the deck of USS Nassau.(by VMM-162)

Status
Not open for further replies.