• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rescue swimmer ops in San Francisco Bay
Obviously the Coasties are the exception to SF's rejection of the eeeeeeevil military.

Like my Coastie form partner said back in Primary, "I'm a lover, not a fighter . . ." :D

H60Gunner

Contributor
Obviously the Coasties are the exception to SF's rejection of the eeeeeeevil military.

Like my Coastie form partner said back in Primary, "I'm a lover, not a fighter . . ." :D

Nawww, they only allowed that Coastie helicopter to operate in the bay for a short period of time. Just enough time to cause a distraction to allow Barbara Boxers drug runners to make another pass unnoticed. She's clean just ask her...

RyanF

unimportant

Nawww, they only allowed that Coastie helicopter to operate in the bay for a short period of time. Just enough time to cause a distraction to allow Barbara Boxers drug runners to make another pass unnoticed. She's clean just ask her...

Actually, there is one more exception, the 129th ANG rescue wing out of NAS Moffett Field/Sunnyvale:

....and sometimes they even get to break out the guns :icon_smil
129thguns.jpg

Two HH-60 Pavehawk helicopter from the 129th Rescue Wing at Moffett Federal Airfield, Calif., takes-off for a night mission during an Operational Readiness Exercise. (U.S. Air Force photo by Master Sgt. Dan Kacir) (RELEASED)

I checked out the wing about a month ago and visited the little museum on base. Looking at the old photographs, it's pretty amazing to think that just 50 odd years ago the bay area was literally crawling with a Navy presence at SF, Moffett, and the tropical island off the coast of oakland aka Alameda. There was also a photograph in there from the 30s or 40s of over 400 ships in SF bay for fleet week. :eek: As a bay area native, if I had not visited that museum, I would of never believed that the Navy had such a presence just a generation or two ago.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
I checked out the wing about a month ago and visited the little museum on base. Looking at the old photographs, it's pretty amazing to think that just 50 odd years ago the bay area was literally crawling with a Navy presence at SF, Moffett, and the tropical island off the coast of oakland aka Alameda. There was also a photograph in there from the 30s or 40s of over 400 ships in SF bay for fleet week. :eek: As a bay area native, if I had not visited that museum, I would of never believed that the Navy had such a presence just a generation or two ago.

It was SUCH a big deal when NAS Sunnyvale was originally built... there was a parade for the event... it was the Bay Area civilians who raised money (half a mil in 1930!) for THREE YEARS to acquire the land they sold to the Navy for $1 - that's how much it was welcomed! What the hell happened, ah dunno, but it's painful seeing the looks military folk get around the Bay these days.
If you get a chance, check out the museum again in late summer or fall. There is supposed to be a new exhibit for NASA test flight stuff and contemporary goodies (stuff for the ANG and Airship Ventures), also getting a U-2, hopefully an F104, and the army just loaned a helo flight simulator that's currently being rebuilt.

Among the many things preserved there:

from 1985...

picture.php

picture.php

exhelodrvr

pilot
It was SUCH a big deal when NAS Sunnyvale was originally built... there was a parade for the event... it was the Bay Area civilians who raised money (half a mil in 1930!) for THREE YEARS to acquire the land they sold to the Navy for $1 - that's how much it was welcomed! What the hell happened, ah dunno, but it's painful seeing the looks military folk get around the Bay these days.
If you get a chance, check out the museum again in late summer or fall. There is supposed to be a new exhibit for NASA test flight stuff and contemporary goodies (stuff for the ANG and Airship Ventures), also getting a U-2, hopefully an F104, and the army just loaned a helo flight simulator that's currently being rebuilt.

Yes - in addition to Alameda, there was the sub base at Mare Island, Hunter's Point ship yard, the Concord Naval Weapon's station, Oak Knoll Naval Hospital, and Treasure Island Naval Station. And not just Navy - the Coast Guard station on Yerba Buena Island, the Presidio (Army), the Army base (I forget it's name) on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge, mostly housing, but they also had Nike missile batteries there, the Oakland Army Depot, and the Army Air Field in Navato.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Photos from WESTPAC

b867c4ab.jpg

Headed west over the Pacific.

b44d4d53.jpg

A little bit closer view.

cca7b6b9.jpg

A bit of history on a stopover. Also, the best diving I've ever seen.

95d015b3.jpg

Thai Tracker. They do their statics a bit differently - it was sitting in a parking lot next to the hangar.

36e650e3.jpg

Thai SLUF.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....... the Army base (I forget it's name) on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge, mostly housing, but they also had Nike missile batteries there, the Oakland Army Depot, and the Army Air Field in Navato.
I think it may have been Ft. Barry. That Nike site SF88L on the Marin Headlands has been partially restored, and is available for tours.

There were a number of Nike sites (very similar to the Soviet SA-2) around the Bay area, back in the day.

mapc.jpg

http://www.acme.com/jef/nike/

exhelodrvr

pilot
I think it may have been Ft. Barry. That Nike site SF88L on the Marin Headlands has been partially restored, and is available for tours.
/

Thanks (and to A4s also) - I was lumping Fort Barry, Fort Baker, and Fort Cronkhite together, and couldn't remember any of the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.