• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 2 July 2008

VFA161NKX.jpg

VFA-161 F/A-18A

The "Rock Rivers" (tactical callsign... they were officially the Chargers) stayed around for awhile after getting rid of their F-4S Phantoms in 1985. They were part of the ill-fated CVW-10 in the mid/late '80s finally getting the ax in April 1988.

B

Blutonski816

^ ah, yes... the rarely photographed Rock River hornet...
This is only the second photo I've seen of said aircraft...

very cool pic, R.O.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Speaking of Fallon...

How about good times in July 1975.

75Fallon.jpg

Top pic includes a future CO of Cubi Point and a future CO of NAS Oceana... plus some other riff-raff, as they brief a division-sized contribution to a CVW-2 Alfa Strike.

Other pics are F-4Js from CVW-2 -- VF-21 and VF-154 (which has Mk 82s loaded on wing stations 2 and 8... hard to see as they blend in to the centerline tank)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
VFA-161 F/A-18A

The "Rock Rivers" (tactical callsign... they were officially the Chargers) stayed around for awhile after getting rid of their F-4S Phantoms in 1985. They were part of the ill-fated CVW-10 in the mid/late '80s finally getting the ax in April 1988.

That's not as bad of a callsign as Fat Beagle... er... I mean, "Fast Eagle" :tapedshut

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 3 July 2008

KC10F4SYuma.jpg

VF-301 hosted a 4-ship of F-16s from Luke one drill weekend in 1984. On their way home from NAS Miramar, they obtained the services of a March AFB KC-10A and there was a 4v4 (x2) over the Yuma ranges that Sunday. Fight .... tank.... fight... RTB.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KC10F4SYuma.jpg

VF-301 hosted a 4-ship of F-16s from Luke one drill weekend in 1984. On their way home from NAS Miramar, they obtained the services of a March AFB KC-10A and there was a 4v4 (x2) over the Yuma ranges that Sunday. Fight .... tank.... fight... RTB.

Nice shot -- 'cept where's the SCOOTER ADVERSARIES ??? :D

We finally moved into the 20th Century of air warfare @ NAS DALLAS (FIGHT--tank--FIGHT--RTB) when someone discovered there was a surfeit of KC-10's at TINKER (sometimes BARKSDALE) usually wondering what to do and how to get more flight time for their airline applications. As such, they were always hot to trot over to the BROWNWEED (sic) MOA (actually "BrownWOOD for the starched amongst us :)) to aerial refresh our woebegotten NAVAIR Weekend Warriors in the DFW Metroplex.

It was the first time I plugged a KC-10, and we just did it. No brief, no nuthin', other than what "technical details" the -201 coordinator could provide. He said something like: "it's just like you've done before, only bigger ... "

His brief "brief" was spot on. My only conscious thought as I slid in behind the basket for the first time was "this sure is a big sucker ... " :D

Lobster

fly1.jpg

Sunrise over Guam, F/A-18F, MODEX 107, VFA 154.

...And some days - when the scheduling gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Since some of you are into "family" pix of late, here's some of my boys and girls in Calamba City, P.I. @ 1973: :D

dsc01893smallko9.jpg

Photo by A4sForever

Status
Not open for further replies.