• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every time I fire up x-plane to 'practice course rules' I end up trying to fly the Habu from Flomaton to the break at Mach 2.3, or do loops around the Pensacola beach bridge in a P-51. I guess there are worse things to waste my time on.
Some Fury love from my logbook. Per the log book, the flight of NG 404, (Buno 139472)... was flown on either 12, or 18 Nov. 1958. Both flights originated/terminated at NAAS Fallon, where we were deployed for self-famming our recently assigned FJ-4s.:)
VA-94 FJ-4's At Fallon.jpg0423131313.jpg
*Blast from the past!:D
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Some Fury love from my logbook. Per the log book, the flight of NG 404, (Buno 139472)... was flown on either 12, or 18 Nov. 1958. Both flights originated/terminated at NAAS Fallon, where we were deployed for self-famming our recently assigned FJ-4s.:)
View attachment 12250View attachment 12251
*Blast from the past!:D
BzB

It's good to see that Orville was able to get a good deal on buying those blue log books in bulk....some things will hopefully never change.

KBayDog

I'm ok... single car slide. I think I did about two full rotations. Almost pulled it out... after the 2nd rotation, and most speed gone, the 'Vette rolled, NASCAR style, slowly into the wall, ass-end first. I was driving too fast getting on the wet on-ramp (concrete to asphalt transition), with old tires (and a, thank you, 0645 brief)~ my bad, but all ok.

1. Should have cut it to idle as the nose approached the windline. :D

2. Thanks. Long after you're gone, we'll all have to sit through 'Vette training at our safety stand-arounds.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
1. Should have cut it to idle as the nose approached the windline. :D

2. Thanks. Long after you're gone, we'll all have to sit through 'Vette training at our safety stand-arounds.

And fill out tons of ORM forms if we decide to buy a sports car, as well as take a sports car drivers course annually, and a drivers safety course prior to driving on base.

jmcquate

Contributor
Seeing your photos of that beautiful F-86, reminded me that on occasion, they have had a tragic side. On 24 September 1972, a private F-86 (N275X) on the airshow circuit, was taking off from Sacramento, CA Airport, suffered engine failure just after liftoff. Having no other recourse, the pilot ejected & barely escaped. Unfortunately, the Sabrejet bellied in past the runway... slid at high speed through a perimeter fence, across a highway, through a parking lot directly into a crowded Farrells Ice Cream Parlor, where many familys/children were celebrating children's birthdays. 22 lives were lost in the parking lot & inside the building, of which half were children. It was a dreadful disaster for the 'Sacto' community, as well as a slow death knell for the previously popular 120+ store Farrells chain, of which only one last store exists today.:(

It was sad for the lives that were lost, fortheir families, the community, and for a thriving business chain that bore no responsibility for the carnage that occurred on their property (although their were some "after the fact" inquiries, questioning the wisdom the of locating such a mini-mall so close near the extended centerline of a major airport runway".:confused:
View attachment 12249 View attachment 12248
*Google F-86 crash Sacramento for particulars.

"Spun the Vette"? Hope no one injured, min damage... pix?:eek:
BzB
Are civilian jet warbirds allowed to arm their seats, or did the FAA nix that?

Flugelman

Contributor
390 total hours, and you were flying that? Brass ones, sir...

They did things a little differently in the way-back when.

My Dad went from CQ in an SNJ directly to F8F Bearcats at Cabaniss Field for advanced and then to JTU-1 flying ex AF F80's for jet transition at Whiting. I have some pictures around here somewhere from those days. He lost his logbooks when his Reserve squadron at NAS Dallas moved hangars and the Ops Office managed to lose the box containing all the logbooks.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are civilian jet warbirds allowed to arm their seats, or did the FAA nix that?
Remember, that tragedy happened over 40 years ago. If FAA banned armed seats, I suspect it was more recent than 1972. Airshow Huggy would probably know?:)
They did things a little differently in the way-back when.
Sure did. There was no RAG/FRS yet at that time, the squadron veterans (front office/DHs), briefed and chased all the fam hops for us 7 "nugget" ENSs. It was only a couple of months after winging (350 total hrs) on my first Fury flight!:D
My Dad went from CQ in an SNJ directly to F8F Bearcats at Cabaniss Field for advanced and then to JTU-1 flying ex AF F80's for jet transition at Whiting. I have some pictures around here somewhere from those days.
I believe RonDebMar flew A-1s in advanced at Cabiness in the early '60s, probably a few years after your Dad.
He lost his logbooks when his Reserve squadron at NAS Dallas moved hangars and the Ops Office managed to lose the box containing all the logbooks.
The two things I've guarded jealously and more securely in life than my wallet, are my Navy Flight Jacket & my 4 Flight Logbooks!:cool:
BzB

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I believe RonDebMar flew A-1s in advanced at Cabiness in the early '60s, probably a few years after your Dad.

BzB

Cabiness? ...OLF Corpus? ...I think we did FCLP there.

VT-30 was just a very busy, hazy, fun-filled blur for this NavCad with wheels. Spent most (many?) weekends in Matamoros, Reynosa, or Nuevo Larado, Jun to Sep 1962 or thereabouts. Good times!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
390 total hours, and you were flying that? Brass ones, sir...

A check of the ol’ logbook shows I had only 144.5 hours total time when I first flew the TA-F9 with VT-24 in Beeville. Got to fly the single-seat AF-9 later... but the instructors usually hogged those single seat fighters.

Regardless, I always loved and wanted to fly the FJ Fury even more than the Cougar.

f9formationbig.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm ok... single car slide. I think I did about two full rotations. Almost pulled it out... after the 2nd rotation, and most speed gone, the 'Vette rolled, NASCAR style, slowly into the wall, ass-end first. I was driving too fast getting on the wet on-ramp (concrete to asphalt transition), with old tires (and a, thank you, 0645 brief)~ my bad, but all ok.

Pushing the envelope, I see. BTDT. Some cars and some people were made for it. (And some are conversely not, sometimes tragically.] As long as no one hurt, no harm, no foul.

Once upon a time I 'knew' I could go much faster than my vehicle could. Now - having pushed way too many envelopes in my youth - I know my Porsche is far faster than I now want to go... but damn, we both still push some envelopes ...albeit more 'gingerly'.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Not as old as Banty, BzB, or Cat, but I stepped into the A-7E (the TA-7C hadn't been invented yet) with 244.0 total hours. Even though I was chased by the XO of VA-174 on that first flight, the ol' ticker was still beating pretty quickly, stepping into a heavier-than-air jet propelled machine for the first time, solo.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cabiness? ...OLF Corpus? ...I think we did FCLP there.

VT-30 was just a very busy, hazy, fun-filled blur for this NavCad with wheels. Spent most (many?) weekends in Matamoros, Reynosa, or Nuevo Larado, Jun to Sep 1962 or thereabouts. Good times!
Ah so, when I did advanced at Beeville in early '58, A-1 advanced was at NAS Cabaniss. From Chase, we also did weekends in Nueva Laredo (& a couple in Monterey, Mex.), plus San Antonio. You're right, a blur... but good times.;)

A different era, I wouldn't go ANYWHERE near the border these days!:eek:
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK. You guys got me lookin’.

1st F-4J flight in the RAG after winging and the instrument RAG of VF-126…….@ 296.4 total flight hours.
1st F-4 ‘green ink’ combat flight Vietnam ....... @ 493.7 total flight time.

FWIW.... which is neither here nor there, just the timing of the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.