• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Did they say what they were doing with that S-3? And why do we keep B-36s, other than for museum pieces?

There must be some pretty screwed up O-Plans if one of them involves pulling B-36s out of the boneyard, loading them up and flying them toward the commie hordes.

Well, the USS CONSTITUTION is still listed on the Naval Vessel Register as an active ship in commission...
http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/active/fleet.htm

She's 13-0 in battle and expirienced in counter-piracy (Barbary Pirates), I think C5F is missing out on a great capability with Old Ironsides. She's just been through refit, she is able to sail and think of how easy UNREP would be if when you don't need to tranfer JP-5 or DFM!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Constitution_v_HMS_Guerriere.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is your guys take on this one? Do you guys honestly think these guys did not consider the DA? I am curious because I have given these guys the benefit of the doubt that they at least did some pre-flight planning.
Did the guy hit some part of his tail on the building on the first pass? That's what it looked like to me, but hard to tell.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did the guy hit some part of his tail on the building on the first pass? That's what it looked like to me, but hard to tell.

I intentionally didn't want to elaborate on my comment because it starts to tread into speculation about a mishap which we try and avoid here. Generally speaking, though, control authority goes away with a higher DA. Having seen Apache demos in real life and on TV, they're usually more agile than in the video. You can also see lots of coning on the pull out. I'm not saying it's the "cause," just something that makes sense.

I don't think he hit anything, I think he just was really low and then did a rotor over (if his tail rotor did start to fail, he would have rotated the other way). I do know that I've been up at 10K' and banked a little too much without thinking. No matter how much flight planning I had done would have prevented me from just not paying attention to my surroundings.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

Pags

N/A
pilot
I intentionally didn't want to elaborate on my comment because it starts to tread into speculation about a mishap which we try and avoid here. Generally speaking, though, control authority goes away with a higher DA. Having seen Apache demos in real life and on TV, they're usually more agile than in the video. You can also see lots of coning on the pull out. I'm not saying it's the "cause," just something that makes sense.

I don't think he hit anything, I think he just was really low and then did a rotor over (if his tail rotor did start to fail, he would have rotated the other way). I do know that I've been up at 10K' and banked a little too much without thinking. No matter how much flight planning I had done would have prevented me from just not paying attention to my surroundings.
I concur that I doubt he hit his tail rotor on the first pass.

Even if this guy had done all sorts of preflight planning it can be easy to forget when you're goofing off. I don't know what the apaches Ps charts look like, but I know the 60s would show that at a high PA you wouldn't have a lot of excess power so recovering from a high descent rate would be harder then at sea level. Additionally, at a high PA almost any angle of bank is going to cause your descent rate to increase. If you're already low, you might not have enough power to recover from the descent rate that the bank put in.

srqwho

pilot
While looking for aircraft with more than 12 engines, I came across the Mil V-12 Homer prototype:

Aeroflot_Mil_V-12_%28Mi-12%29_Groningen_Airport.jpg

This is pretty close to what my wife would come up with if you sat her down in front of a bunch of fixed wing and helo parts and told her to make a flying machine.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Pavehawk.jpg

An Alaska Air National Guard HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopter practices high-altitude landing operations March 14, 2012. The primary mission of the Pave Hawk is to conduct day or night personnel recovery operations into hostile environments to recover isolated personnel during war. (U.S. Air Force photo by Master Sgt. Sean Mitchell)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
CGlighthouse.jpg

A U.S. Coast Guard MH-65C Dolphin helicopter crew assigned to Air Station Los Angeles conducts a flyover of the Point Vicente Lighthouse as part of the memorial service for Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Fernando Jorge March 18, 2012, in Los Angeles. Jorge, along with Lt. Cmdr. Dale Taylor, Lt. j.g. Thomas Cameron and Petty Officer 3rd Class Andrew Knight were killed when their helicopter crashed in Mobile Bay, Ala., during a training mission Feb. 28, 2012. (DoD photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Adam Eggers, U.S. Coast Guard/Released).

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Lightning Strike. We had a storm roll through a couple nights ago and as I took this picture, lightning struck close by. This picture was taken at 11 pm, after it was fully dark outside.

Attachments

• IMG_1034_2.JPG
    IMG_1034_2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.