• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

navyao

6843780524_db77404ff9_z.jpg

Flaps, we're you with 211 during DS?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
naw. i was with vmfa 314 in rvn in '69.
was doing tomcat flight test for grumman during ds

r/s
old fart flaps

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Not to detract from a few of the gems just posted... but how did these two didn't end up killing anyone else or themselves is beyond me.

Note the guy who just ducks under the TR at :24 and of course the whole pack that almost gets mowed down shortly there after.

Proves the old adage, the only spectacular thing you can do in a helicopter is crash!

Pags

N/A
pilot
High DA is a bitch.
Note: your helo won't work the same at high DAs

*extra special note for those who don't look at the bar alt very often: high DAs can sometimes look like low agls. Don't be fooled.

Also, the time to look at Ps charts is during flight planning not when your windshield is full of the ground, your collective is full up, and the vsi is still negative.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
very cool... first guy to fly flapping his wings.
i'm impressed.

(looks like a down wind landing)

exNavyOffRec

Not to detract from a few of the gems just posted... but how did these two didn't end up killing anyone else or themselves is beyond me.

Note the guy who just ducks under the TR at :24 and of course the whole pack that almost gets mowed down shortly there after.

A question for the aviators here, but assuming these guys are physically able to fly after they recover what are the odds they will? Is this a not going to fly again type accident or thanks for your service accident?

MasterBates

Thinking at a minimum give me your wings accident.

Hell, when I left AD, I didn't even get a thank you, and I didn't leave VIA crashing a plane.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
A question for the aviators here, but assuming these guys are physically able to fly after they recover what are the odds they will? Is this a not going to fly again type accident or thanks for your service accident?

I think someone on here was saying that the guys who crashed the -64 in another famous online video ("think we can make it?" "nope") are still flying. There were some guys that had a wire strike, obviously much different scenario than the above instance, this was Iraq 2005ish and those two guys are still flying.

exNavyOffRec

I think someone on here was saying that the guys who crashed the -64 in another famous online video ("think we can make it?" "nope") are still flying. There were some guys that had a wire strike, obviously much different scenario than the above instance, this was Iraq 2005ish and those two guys are still flying.

I guess each service would do things different, I thought I remembered that my old boss (a former SH-60 pilot) said that the guys in the Lake Tahoe incident were not flying anymore and thought this would be about the same.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
I guess each service would do things different, I thought I remembered that my old boss (a former SH-60 pilot) said that the guys in the Lake Tahoe incident were not flying anymore and thought this would be about the same.

Your boss definitely has more credibility than I do, I'm not an aviator. But I'd reckon that no matter what punishment is doled out, it's probably proportionate to the level of the screw up, however big that might be. I did see that not so credible web sites were reporting the pilots were facing criminal charges. Guess the worst part here is that guys on the ground really look up to their Army air counterparts, so this taints the reputation a little bit. That aside, the army still has a 15-20 million dollar loss on their hands, ouch

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the old days the average Naval Aviator had an ejection every 5 years, among other stark statistics. The winnowing process was far different back then. It rarely involved a board, much less a few days grounded.

If you died because of pilot error, you were in many cases deemed not good enough to keep. If you lived regardless of pilot error, you were lucky and maybe even good. Thus, a keeper. In most cases, the Navy tended to keep the lucky and good, even if they did extreme and stupid stuff, and the Navy didn't have to worry about those others.

Not saying all the above was right or wrong. Just saying that is the way it was.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Depends on the service. As has been said, there are several Army types still flying after mishaps. The Navy it's hit or miss. Seems to depend on the circumstances, publicity, and loss of life. The Air Force seems to be more generous with allowing guys to keep flying post mishap. Including several Class A's directly relating to pilot error, and at least 1 fatality. But those are just the cases I am personally aware of.

navyao

naw. i was with vmfa 314 in rvn in '69.
was doing tomcat flight test for grumman during ds

r/s
old fart flaps

Roger that sir and wow! I can only imagine the stories you must have - all of them good of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.