• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
An Apache had to land somewhere outside the FOB so these needed getting rid of. (it's kind of aviation related)

DSC00760.JPG
Camp Victory 2004
PB210028.JPG

last "semi aviation" related picture. Well planned hoax being filmed, this was taken from a -58
Donkey IED 2.jpg

navyao

Jake042.jpg
Jake039.jpg
Jake035.jpg

More from AMARG: A-7E formerly of VA-94; I took a photo of her because the Shrikes were flying A-7E's on my World Cruise in Enterprise, that was their last with the Corsair II. Former NF100, VF-154's CAG F-14A and a few of the S-3B's that are sitting in the sun.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I thought we sliced and diced the Tomcats to prevent our Iranian frenemies from getting their paws on parts?

navyao

Jake047.jpg
Jake051.jpg
Jake050.jpg

Lots of Phrogs, 2-seat Harrier's and the last eight F-14's, mostly A & B-mods I think. I haven't seen A-4M's since I left Alameda in '89. I thought the guy who gave us the tour said the A from 154 and the D from 31 would survive while the other one's would be cut up. 213's CAG jet was parked outside of a hangar, not sure what will happen to her. I still don't understand why we're sweating the Iranians getting parts, they've been flying their Tomcats for sometime now and apparently making their own parts. That airplane has been a political tool for its entire flying career, even in retirement...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WRT parts: Yeah, but they have to expend a LOT of effort and money to keep those things flying. We don't need to make their task any easier.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I still don't understand why we're sweating the Iranians getting parts, they've been flying their Tomcats for sometime now and apparently making their own parts. That airplane has been a political tool for its entire flying career, even in retirement...

They also caught individuals removing parts from the airframes there at AMARG in order to sell them. That was one of the last straws before the decision was made to just cut them all up, other than a couple of planes to put on sticks.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I know it's supposed to be a "war reserve," but what kind of reserve is it? It looks like a lot of the airframes will need a decent amount of work before returning to service. Are they glorified parts queens or legitimate standbys for WWIII?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
AsK the Prowler bubbas who's jets did some time at D-M before joining the fleet!

I know the salvaged some jets to become drone years ago... But I do agree that most of the aircraft there are too obsolete or too far gone to be useful again.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe some of the T-39s at P'cola were resurrected from D-M as well. I'm sure other a/c flying now did too, just can't cite specifics offhand. But AMARG is less of a "war reserve" and more of a pik-a-part for DoD.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe some of the T-39s at P'cola were resurrected from D-M as well. I'm sure other a/c flying now did too, just can't cite specifics offhand. But AMARG is less of a "war reserve" and more of a pik-a-part for DoD.

I know they took some lower flight time wings off T-39s from DM in order to re-wing a few of the high flight time aircraft via Saberliner. Not sure if they took they reserected a whole aircraft.

-ea6bflyr ;)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know it's supposed to be a "war reserve," but what kind of reserve is it? It looks like a lot of the airframes will need a decent amount of work before returning to service. Are they glorified parts queens or legitimate standbys for WWIII?

Remember that these aircraft are being stored for 4 reasons: long-term future use or short-term future use (no idea how that is determined), parts picking, or DOD excess defense articles (planes with usable "life" on them, but considered obsolete in terms of sophistication or mission set by the U.S.). EDA aircraft are often sold or granted to partner nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.