• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously though, getting Huggy to the boat will definitely be at the top of my "things to accomplish" list in the T-45 program.

In the front seat or the trunk riding behind you?

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Didn't have time to view the entire clip...but a very brief "Google" brought this (and much, much more) up:

"RADM James Flatley, USN (Ret) recently retired as Executive Director of the USS Yorktown museum in South Carolina. A 1956 graduate from the Naval Academy, RADM Flatley commanded both Fighter Squadron VF-31 and the USS Saratoga. As a Lieutenant he won the admiration of the aviation community by demonstrating how Air Force C-130 transports could land and take off from carrier decks."

Jim was a friend, back in the early sixties...knew him as CAG 3 LSO...waved me aboard a couple hundred times on USS Saratoga, which he later commanded...(IIRC) we chatted at the decommissioning of Sara at Mayport in the '90's...a terrific stick, officer, and man!

While still in charge of the Yorktown exhibit at Charlestown, SC, he helped spearhead a drive to convince the city of Jacksonville FL to accept the Sara as a gift from USN...(I also was a small part of that effort)...but to no avail. :(

MasterBates

If it involves great feats of drinking and strength, I'd be in.

If it involves superior rudder work, I'm not.
(I'm probably out of Anthros for the Deuce anyways, but it's one of 2 USAF birds I'd switch over to fly)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Isn't the E-2/C-2 a rudder monstrosity behind the boat? Won't you have to get good at it eventually?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doolittle Raid II?

In 1942, LtCol Jimmy Doolittle became even more famous than he already was from his peacetime aviation exploits. By stripping down sixteen B-25 Mitchell Bombers to bare necessities, they were able to launch from the deck of the USS Hornet and strike back at Japan in the dark days (and months) following the attack on Pearl Harbor.

DoolittleRaid.jpg

Lesser known is the Navy's testing of a fully configured Mitchell in 1944. Unlike Doolittle's Mitchells, a Navy PBJ-1H (BUNO 35277) was configured for both catapult launch and arrested recovery. USS Shangri La (CV-38) appropriately served as the test platform* in late 1944.

pbj-1h_no-am_mtichell_cv38_shangrila_1944.jpg

*When President Roosevelt was asked where Doolittle took off from during a press session, he jokingly replied "Shangri La", which later became basis for naming CV-38.

blackbart22

pilot
The 130 landing on the carrier was done by LCDR Flatley. Supposedly they bypassed the squat switch (the WOW switch for the AF types) so that he could go into reverse just before touch down. Sort of like getting a cut for AD drivers.