• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

JustAGuy

pilot
Do the sims re-create the burble?

Nope. Nor do they recreate the seat of the pants feel or the "holy crap I could actually die doing this" feeling, or the "hey I can see the screws of the carrier because the back of the ship is moving up and down as high as a six story building."

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Huggy,
I thought the U-2 program had provisions for some ex-helo guys as well. The latest recruiting information says all your time has to be F/W or 500 fighter.

MR-

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Huggy,
I thought the U-2 program had provisions for some ex-helo guys as well. The latest recruiting information says all your time has to be F/W or 500 fighter.

MR-

Last time I was in PSAB the guy who gave us the U-2 tour was an ex-USCG helo guy who got recruited as a fixed wing instructor out of Whiting but that was getting on 8 years ago.

HuggyU2

None
Helicopter transition guys to really well. We have quite a few, including guys/gals that flew the Phrog, Cobra, UH-1, SH-60, MH-53, MH-60, HH-65.... probably a couple of more that slip my mind.
Last week we hired a C-130 Reservist, who was a USCG HH-65 pilot before joining the Reserves.
Helicopter pilots have to have 500 hours of F/W time somewhere in their military past.
Also, they must have been a graduate of a military fixed wing course. The Army pilots that go through Flight Safety for a fixed wing conversion aren't eligible. It must be a "military" course,... not "military approved".

HuggyU2

None
Close, but no cigar. It's the America.
And the reason there are so many Navy/Marine aviators is because back in '97, me and 5 other guys sat in a room on a Friday with a bottle of Scotch, trying to figure out a way to get more aviators into the U-2.

Exchange program? No way. That's a reciprocal deal, and there was no way THAT was going to happen. I know: I was slated to be the guy going to a Marine two-seat squadron back in '92 when the Marines tried to initiate a U-2/Hornet Exchange Program. Unfortunately, the USAF fighter mafia at ACC killed it. C'est la vie.

How about starting an "interservice transfer program"? That works! Within a short period of time, we got an application from a Navy and a Marine pilot. We ended up hiring both. Word spread.

Fast forward to 2009: the virus is uncontrollable.

Now, it's common to hear pilots talking about "section takeoffs", "out and ins" , and "soap on a rope".

What have I done!!!

MasterBates

Soap. That is on a rope.

soap-on-a-rope.jpg

I know you guys use exfoliating washes and loofahs at "Teh Institute" but it does exist.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Great video. That was the USS Ranger.

I know you guys use exfoliating washes and loofahs at "Teh Institute" but it does exist.

The Des Moines Institute for Impotency? We're familiar with it...
airplanetwo133.jpeg

HuggyU2

None
Great video. That was the USS Ranger.
I stand corrected. I didn't watch the video, and was going off of memory. The USS America was used for the U-2R test work. All the video appears to be a U-2C (actually, a G, which is a C modified for carrier work). The C/G had a wingspan of around 80' whereas the -R model has a 104' wingspan and is a much larger aircraft.
The G flew off of the Ranger and the Kitty Hawk. Don't know if any other ships were used.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

HornyU2

pilot
None
As an aside, I'm still trying to get to the ship on something that will allow me to become a Regular Member of Tailhook, vice an Associate. It will happen,... but not in a Deuce,... unless we're talking a C-2.

Now I know why you were so encouraging of mine and Crips transfer to the Navy............................... and we thought it was just because you didn't like us. Now, I feel so cheap and used, and hurt.

Seriously though, getting Huggy to the boat will definitely be at the top of my "things to accomplish" list in the T-45 program.