• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I just remembered that these crazy bastards actually landed on USS America many years ago....

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Maybe we should lay off the critique of nosewheel steering for the U-2 pilots, since their nosewheel does not exist. :)

HuggyU2

None
Maybe we should lay off the critique of nosewheel steering for the U-2 pilots, since their nosewheel does not exist.
We have a winner! To clarify a few things:
- the tailwheel and rudder are connected directly to cables going to the pedals. There is no "engaging the steering". It's full time steering, like in any WWII aircraft with tailwheel steering. And you better be on it immediately at touchdown.
- the tailwheel only deflects 6 degrees either way, giving you a 189' turn radius with no wind. Yes, even at 10 knots taxi speed, the wind affects your turn radius. Will a 189' turn radius be acceptable on a carrier???
- We fly the final/base turn at 90 KIAS, we strive to hit 10' altitude at 73-80 KIAS, depending on fuel weight, with touchdown around 65-70 KIAS.
- Landing the U-2 is probably a lot like landing on the boat (as my boat friends tell me): when it's a nice day, you're fresh, everything is working well, etc... it's a great time. It starts to get sporty when the great conditions start falling apart: fuel imbalance, crosswind, wet runway, 9+ hour sorties, night,... did I mention you wear a pressure suit?? That suit takes away about 20-30 IQ points at the end of the day.

The video was actually done by one of our Navy transfer guys. He's pretty amazing with a camera. Search youtube for "F-14 Rockstar", and you'll see one of his very first videos from the 90's.

InPursuit: are you an LSO?? If so, get on out here!! We can easily make you a U-2 chase car driver!! It's pretty much an LSO at 90 MPH!!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Would the "lack" of x-wind and added ships knots have made landings any easier for the U-2 on the carrier, or would it have been more difficult considering it's a carrier?

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Hugggy,

We're you around for Lane Wallace's U-2 flight? I thought I saw your name mentioned. Nice story in Flying Magazine.

MR-

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Huggy,

I noticed in one of the videos on Youtube that you guys are still shooting on film. Is there something to be gained from film that can't be done with digital? I'd figure digital would be the way to go, especially with C4ISR stuff these days.

HuggyU2

None
Would the "lack" of x-wind and added ships knots have made landings any easier for the U-2 on the carrier, or would it have been more difficult considering it's a carrier?
Well, they didn't have to worry about the post-landing directional control issues once the cable grabbed the jet. The U-2 lands with 35 degrees of flap, but on the carrier trials, they increased that to 50 degrees. That's a LOT of drag, and they flew the groove with very high power, which certainly helped control it.
That said, it's still landing an F-104 fuselage with a 104' wingspan on to a boat. Not much about that sounds easy to me. As I told my boss back in Oct (about something we were going to try): "This idea is dumb, and is really pushing the safety envelope. But if it gets approved, I'm an enthusiastic volunteer." You can bet I'd go try this on the boat if given the chance.
So while the post-landing roll might be simplified, I'd guess the approach and landing would be pretty sporty, based on what I've read on AW.

We're you around for Lane Wallace's U-2 flight? I thought I saw your name mentioned. Nice story in Flying Magazine.
I was the backup pilot, which made me the "mobile" or chase car guy. I oversaw her getting strapped into the jet, and did the preflight. Chased the landings too. In the magazine, that's me in the briefing room with her and Cabi; reaching out the shake her hand; and on the far left side of the group picture; plus, I'm in the front seat on all 3 air-to-air photos of the 2-seater.

I noticed in one of the videos on Youtube that you guys are still shooting on film. Is there something to be gained from film that can't be done with digital? I'd figure digital would be the way to go, especially with C4ISR stuff these days.
Digital is timely, no doubt about it. But when time is not of the essence, there is a certain clarity/high resolution that wet film brings the Combatant Commanders. Plus, as we've all seen, you can doctor digital photos pretty easily. When there's an issue of trust and accuracy, wet film is necessary.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... on the carrier trials, they increased that to 50 degrees. That's a LOT of drag, and they flew the groove with very high power, which certainly helped control it. That said, it's still landing an F-104 fuselage with a 104' wingspan on to a boat. Not much about that sounds easy to me. ....

...You can bet I'd go try this on the boat if given the chance.
I wonder what the test conditions were like: i.e., things like -- was it a straight-in approach or racetrack pattern, what was the basic angle (looks very shallow, but you can't really tell from the clip), what was the natural wind-over-the-deck, ship's speed, relative wind, etc., etc. ...??? Any clue?? I can imagine that the guys in white coats w/ hornrims and slide rules would want to MINIMIZE the 'BURBLE' effect with all THAT wing and "?" power response comin' aboard !!! Or were the extra flaps the rough equivalent of speed brakes and therefore your power was "up" .. probably didn't take much to make that 'kite' go 'up' ???

And a U-2 TAILHOOKER??? You would be a legend in Naval Aviation and your money would be no good at any NAS bar ... forever !!! :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So Huggy, do you get to keep the space suit when you retire?

I'd stuff it and stand it in the corner....great conversation piece...."Ya ever shit in a space suit? Well I did in that one right over there in the corner. Nasty incident but what can you do when your at FL700 over bad guy territory?..."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So Huggy, do you get to keep the space suit when you retire?

I'd stuff it and stand it on the corner....great conversation piece...."Ya ever shit in a space suit? Well I did in that one right over there in the corner. Nasty incident but what can you do when your at FL700 over bad guy territory with the bubble-guts?..."

Just amended for clarification. :D

MasterBates

If there was a way to remove turd from suit, drop out chute and bomb bad guy with frozen poop from FL700+... Now THAT would be awesome.

Awesome in a totally immature Beavis & Butthead way, but still AWESOME!

HuggyU2

None
I wonder what the test conditions were like:...
I've got an article around here about the whole evolution of the U-2 carrier-thing. If I can find it, I'll figure out some way to post it, or let you know. They had a pretty experienced Navy LSO work with these guys to get them up to speed (duh!). I've heard some great stories from my A-4, F-14, S-3, etc.... buds from their days landing on the boat. Sounds like fun when everything is perfect,... and goes downhill quickly from there. Do the sims re-create the burble?

And a U-2 TAILHOOKER???
No kidding! I'd thought that would be pretty cool to show up to 'Hook in Reno with THAT on my resume! Our Dash-1 Flight Manual had the carrier pattern in it until around '93.
As an aside, I'm still trying to get to the ship on something that will allow me to become a Regular Member of Tailhook, vice an Associate. It will happen,... but not in a Deuce,... unless we're talking a C-2.

HAL, I wish we kept the suits. But they get reused once you leave. That said, they "go bad" after 13 years: I plan on "acquiring" one of those at some point.

Clux4

Banned
Huggy:
How do the helicopter guys do in the transition? Also, what is the completion rate for the transition course?