• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
shoulda tried this with a p-3.

edit: on second thought, i'm glad they never tried this with a p-3. as long as they'll still pay it, i'd love to collect per diem to not live on USS Prisonboat.
Don't know if a P3 can land and take off of a carrier but C130 crews are not safe.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I get the feeling that X-wind landings in the Dragon Lady require a little bit more than just "wing down...top rudder!"

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
How 'bout engaging nose wheel steering and getting that wicked PIO on touchdown under control?! Geez....

Kind of like me critiquing your F-18 landing don't you think? How many hours do you have in a U-2?

I have a few friends that transfered to the USAF to fly U-2s. Landing was always challenging even with winds straight down the pipe. Throw in a wicked cross on the single runway at KBAB and you can see the result. The plane basically has to be stalled to land.

found this vid with huggy giving an interview......but the one with the x-wind landings looks like a nice lil ride trying to set the lady down on the runway

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm guessing that U-2 touchdown is maybe 80-90KIAS??? I know that if you try to get on nosewheel steering in a P-3 >50 knots you're flirting with having the tires come off the rims...this has happened to more than 1 P-3 pilot in the left seat.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I know that if you try to get on nosewheel steering in a P-3 >50 knots you're flirting with having the tires come off the rims...this has happened to more than 1 P-3 pilot in the left seat.
Isn't that the FE's fault.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Dear Lord! I have had many sporty landings in my day, but seeing those wings touch the runway ties my stomach in knots, and I am just watching it on a 2 inch square! Looks like fun, though.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
No....

FE or other pilot in the right seat do not call out "hey you're below 50 knots guy in the left seat...safe to get on nosewheel"....P-3 also has quite a bit of rudder authority and asymmetric thrust can also be your friend when it comes to centerline control.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
that looks sweet. I wonder if it'll still be around in 8 years when I'm toying with options...

In Pursuit

pilot
Kind of like me critiquing your F-18 landing don't you think? How many hours do you have in a U-2?

I have a few friends that transfered to the USAF to fly U-2s. Landing was always challenging even with winds straight down the pipe. Throw in a wicked cross on the single runway at KBAB and you can see the result. The plane basically has to be stalled to land.

You're probably spot on but hey, anyone can be a "PLAT LSO" so I'm not gonna let a little thing like a lack of U-2 time from keeping me from pinging on my AF brethren. Military aviation is a tough business. Critiques from others in the profession of arms come with the terrritory. I'm sure those guys would have a field day grading some of my passes at the boat too :D