• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Game!

Nose

pilot
I ran into one of the pilots immediately following the game at a tailgater. He told me that the FAA decided to be gay and not give the required waiver for lower and faster. They were stuck with the standard 1000 AGL/ 250 KIAS. Apparently the night before the game they were at some function with the CNO who asked them to "make sure it was a good flyover, low and fast."
"uh, sir, can you guarantee that we wont lose our wings if we do that?"
"ehh, it will be a fight but we'll see"
"Thats ok, sir, we'll pass and do as we are told by ATC. Nobody likes flight violations"

I've always been told FAA cannot violate you if you are Navy. CNO has to do it. (Kind of like a grounding chit from a flight surgeon is just a "recommendation." FAA fwds all violations to OPNAV and then they decide if it gets passed on. Thats why you can fly a Navy aircraft without any FAA pilot ratings, they don't "own you" like they do a civ. pilot, they only own the airspace you use.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've always been told FAA cannot violate you if you are Navy. CNO has to do it. (Kind of like a grounding chit from a flight surgeon is just a "recommendation." FAA fwds all violations to OPNAV and then they decide if it gets passed on. Thats why you can fly a Navy aircraft without any FAA pilot ratings, they don't "own you" like they do a civ. pilot, they only own the airspace you use.
You are correct.
OPNAV 3710 Chap 3.9.1.4 b said:
Note
The authority to issue a flight violation lies solely with the Chief of Naval Operations.
Though I hardly believe the current CNO knows anything about 3710.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The thing the FAA needs to file flight violation in your name...is your name.

Guess what is broadcast all over for the crews of the flyby?

Nose

pilot

I know. I thought it was funny that all of the pilots were named "Smith"

phrogpilot73

In theory if they never took the military competency exam, the FAA may have their name - but they don't have any civilian licenses and then we're back to the CNO, right?