• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Gentlemen/ladies,

I've got a quick question (apologies if it has been asked/answered previously, I couldn't find anything)

I have been told that NAMI is closed until further notice. I am trying to get contracted with the Marine Corps and my final requirement is going to NAMI. So my question would be, Is NAMI closed, and when do you think I should start giving my OSO frequent calls/emails regarding the topic?

Thanks for any information you all have.

Fable0027

Gentlemen/ladies,

I've got a quick question (apologies if it has been asked/answered previously, I couldn't find anything)

I have been told that NAMI is closed until further notice. I am trying to get contracted with the Marine Corps and my final requirement is going to NAMI. So my question would be, Is NAMI closed, and when do you think I should start giving my OSO frequent calls/emails regarding the topic?

Thanks for any information you all have.
Interested in this as well. Please update me if you get an answer! Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I would just ask your OSO. "Closed" might not be the best word, but perhaps not allowing USMC aviation candidates to fly to Pensacola to complete their NAMI.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I got my waiver through NAMI two or three weeks ago. No idea what that means for accessions, but the lights are definitely on and people are working.

STOVLer

pilot
I got my waiver through NAMI two or three weeks ago. No idea what that means for accessions, but the lights are definitely on and people are working.
Were you able to monitor the progress of your waiver request? Saw previously that your turnaround was a week or less.. that is awesome.

On the NAMI waiver guide website it seems there is an application to track it, but I don't have access (I believe it is flight surgeons only). Just curious what to expect for a timeline- my waivers are pretty complex and the package was submitted this week. Your recommendations for the next guy are spot on.

Does anyone know the aviation waiver path for Urethritis (non-std variety)?

I found it in the Ascensions guide (disqualifying) but only for current and easy to get a waiver for according to my recruiter. However I couldn’t find it in the NAMI waiver guide, so no idea how it affects aviation. Recruiter couldn’t find it either.

Rycast

Anyone know if a waiver for an eye scar will go through? I have good vision, 20/20, etc., but they found a cornea scar near the pupil and said I need a waiver. I've already been selected SNA (I'm at OCS right now). Guessing I can't graduate until the waiver is approved.

I've searched this forum and Baseops. Sounds like a few people have been DQ'ed over this, but I'm not sure if they got waivers.

hdr777

pilot
Anyone know if a waiver for an eye scar will go through? I have good vision, 20/20, etc., but they found a cornea scar near the pupil and said I need a waiver. I've already been selected SNA (I'm at OCS right now). Guessing I can't graduate until the waiver is approved.

I've searched this forum and Baseops. Sounds like a few people have been DQ'ed over this, but I'm not sure if they got waivers.

I got a waiver for a hole in my retina with 0 issues, the doc at OCS wasn't at all concerned about it, and I don't know if I had scarring from it but I had a pretty large corneal abraison, did not need a waiver for that. The feeling I got was that if it didn't interfere with vision, or wasn't likely to interfere it shouldn't be a big deal

I didn't have any status on the waiver when I was going through ocs, but I got my orders at the same time as everyone else so I just assumed that meant the waiver went through and I was good to go, your results may vary

Bigmac99

Good afternoon all,
I just found this thread and have had my doubts about NAMI ever since I entered the NROTC program given my medical history. I was curious if anyone had any knowledge on how much trouble I'll have with it. I'm trying to become an NFO and was wondering if my childhood lymphoma (non-Hodgkin's, no long term side effects) would hold me back. I'm about 14 years in remission, but I had 11 months of red tape to get through with DODMERB and was wondering how that would compare to NAMI. I've looked through the aeromedical waiver guide but haven't found much definitive information, presumably due to a lack of prospective candidates with my medical history trying to join the naval aviation community. Thanks for any insight, and if you need further details I can provide you with more information.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
We saw a couple candidates come through with a history of childhood leukemia who got waiver recommendations. I don't remember seeing anyone with a history of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. You'll get a lot of interest, but the fact you're 14 years out from treatment is something in your favor. I would recommend submitting all your treatment records along with a current heme-onc evaluation to start off what I'm sure will be an involved process.

Best of luck.
V/R

cyrusu

pilot
During the flight physical, what exactly do the doctors look for during the chest x-ray? As a child, I had a mild breathing condition that I have long since outgrew. I took a pulmonary function test a year ago and my results were fine. Should I be concerned?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Mild breathing condition?
Honestly, a chest x-ray isn't that great for screening asymptomatic young people for pulmonary disease. Most of the abnormalities I see in young people aren't clinically relevant, and usually open the door for more testing. The American College of Radiology says routine chest films are usually inappropriate in the demographic we're talking about. If you have a history of TB exposure, that's a different story.
I hope this requirement goes the way of the dodo.

V/R