• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

D

Deleted member 72085

There are conditions mentioned, then there are conditions covered under "other", the best thing you can do is get the documents together and let your OR run with it, my concern if I was your OR would be that you said the kidney is "functioning normally to its size", to me this does not equate to a "normal functioning kidney" which would raise lots of red flags.
ok thank you. I will be careful of the wording and make sure to include my recent blood tests. These showed an eGFR above even the normal range for my age.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
ChemTeach,
Per DODI 6130.03, "Asymmetry in size or function of kidneys" is disqualifying for entry into military service. You will need a waiver of standards simply to commission or enlist. Obtaining a waiver for aviation would be the next step, and, in my opinion, is not a sure thing. Prior urologic surgery and an abnormal kidney in an applicant may not be an achievable outcome.

My recommendation would be to have all your surgical reports and a recent nephrology consultation to include in your commissioning package. I think that will afford you the best opportunity, recognizing that it will be uphill all the way.

V/R

D

Deleted member 72085

ChemTeach,
Per DODI 6130.03, "Asymmetry in size or function of kidneys" is disqualifying for entry into military service. You will need a waiver of standards simply to commission or enlist. Obtaining a waiver for aviation would be the next step, and, in my opinion, is not a sure thing. Prior urologic surgery and an abnormal kidney in an applicant may not be an achievable outcome.

My recommendation would be to have all your surgical reports and a recent nephrology consultation to include in your commissioning package. I think that will afford you the best opportunity, recognizing that it will be uphill all the way.

V/R

Well this is concerning, but I will work on getting the necessary paperwork. Thanks for your help.

Cooperd0g

pilot
@ChemTeach I'll respond to your PM on the other forum as well. MANMED 15-47 does not specifically say anything about a smaller kidney. DODI 6130.03 does have that line. However, just because something is disqualifying doesn't mean you can't get a waiver. The current ARWG also says it is disqualifying, but that a waiver may be granted on a case by case basis. @TimeBomb is both experienced and correct. While there is no guarantee, if you legitimately have normal kidney function you will likely get a waiver.

exNavyOffRec

@ChemTeach I'll respond to your PM on the other forum as well. MANMED 15-47 does not specifically say anything about a smaller kidney. DODI 6130.03 does have that line. However, just because something is disqualifying doesn't mean you can't get a waiver. The current ARWG also says it is disqualifying, but that a waiver may be granted on a case by case basis. @TimeBomb is both experienced and correct. While there is no guarantee, if you legitimately have normal kidney function you will likely get a waiver.

One thing the OP said that caught my eye was that he said it was 1/3 the size and had normal kidney function for a kidney that size, so does that mean it has 1/3 the function of a normal size kidney? If that is the case then not having same function as a normal kidney might sink him, but the data in the test will be vital.

Cooperd0g

pilot
One thing the OP said that caught my eye was that he said it was 1/3 the size and had normal kidney function for a kidney that size, so does that mean it has 1/3 the function of a normal size kidney? If that is the case then not having same function as a normal kidney might sink him, but the data in the test will be vital.

Lab tests don't work that way. You can't test an individual kidney function without invasive procedures. He could have one kidney and normal labs and would likely get a waiver.

exNavyOffRec

Lab tests don't work that way. You can't test an individual kidney function without invasive procedures. He could have one kidney and normal labs and would likely get a waiver.

ah ok, when he said it had "normal function for a kidney that size" I was under the impression they had a way to determine kidney function on each kidney.

D

Deleted member 72085

ah ok, when he said it had "normal function for a kidney that size" I was under the impression they had a way to determine kidney function on each kidney.

To provide some insight, I was actually wrong about the size. Recently (as in this past Monday) got an ultrasound before going to the nephrologist. Turns out the "smaller" kidney (right) is 10cm, and my left kidney is 13cm. Both fall within the normal size range now, and given my completely normal kidney function, seems like it is even more of a non-issue than I originally thought.

Doc, quick question. If a friend I knew had a bb (from a BB gun), and was hit as a young child in the corner of the eye between the nose and eyelid would that DQ him/her from pilot? All vision tests since childhood have been perfect. Including military vision tests.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doc, quick question. If a friend I knew had a bb (from a BB gun), and was hit as a young child in the corner of the eye between the nose and eyelid would that DQ him/her from pilot? All vision tests since childhood have been perfect. Including military vision tests.

Ralphie?!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

“A friend” is codeword for “myself”.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not at all.. that’s why I’m posting. Friend wants to remain anonymous and I was trying to help him out.

Think of it this way... Growing up, I'm sure I cut myself with a knife (cooking, working on line, whatever), but I didn't cut myself to the point of giving me a disability. And I didn't put any of those "injuries" on my medical paperwork.

Remember, keep it simple. Were you diagnosed with something? If yes, put it down. If no, then don't.

Question for the docs, here's the situation. In 2014 I was diagnosed with (1) a stress fracture in the lower back, (2) one ruptured, one bulging disc, and (3) degenerative disc disease in the lower back. I am currently asymptomatic, and have multiple doctor's reports speaking to the fact that I am fine. MEPS has all of this paperwork, and has disqualified me from getting a physical.

I am currently a professional pilot, and am looking for advice on how to proceed. Is this the end of the line for a SNA slot? Is this waiverable? I'm not quite sure how this will play out.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Look for DODI 6130.03. Commissioning standards are in that instruction. Sounds like you have an uncorrected herniated disc, which, if I'm reading the instruction correctly, is disqualifying. Nearly any condition can be waived, but there may be something in your records that is giving the medical reviewer pause. I'm surprised you can't even get a physical; what does your recruiter say?

V/R