• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

geoca

Your tricuspid regurgitation (TR) has been labeled "physiologic" so I wouldn't worry about that. "Trace" or "mild" TR is extremely common, almost to the point of being a "within normal limits" finding in a young, otherwise healthy person.

In my experience at NAMI, the most common cause for an abnormal axis on an EKG in the standard issue SNA/SNFO was that the corpsman inadvertently reversed the left and right arm leads, but that's pretty easy to diagnose when reviewing the EKG. Second most common cause was that the candidate was a tall, skinny kid whose heart was positioned more vertically in the chest and pulled the main voltage axis toward the right.

V/R
Good to know that tricuspid regurgitation shouldn't be a big issue, I also didn't know that was very common. A few other people I talked to said the same thing about being tall and thin, I'm 5'11" 170 lbs so that could explain it. Thank you so much for your help!

ML24

Could use a flight doc's opinion.. I have many symptoms for PCOS and am currently a P-8 NFO. Is PCOS disqualifying for aviation and any advice for going to the flight doc or OBGYN for remedies?

j.kir

Anyone know if “floaters” in your vision (which can be spotted by eye doctors) is disqualifying for SNA? They’re only annoying, not prohibiting. Just a floating black/brown dot. Thanks for any input

j.kir

Anyone know if “floaters” in your vision (which can be spotted by eye doctors) is disqualifying for SNA? They’re only annoying, not prohibiting. Just a floating black/brown dot. Thanks for any input
There are old threads (2006ish) but they don’t have much of an answer regarding this, and could be outdated

sharkbait1

pilot
There are old threads (2006ish) but they don’t have much of an answer regarding this, and could be outdated
Not a FS. But if it doesn't severely impact your vision, and doesn't interfere with your ability to read a snellen chart, randot test (depth), and ishishara test (colorblindness), I think you'll be fine. (Pretty sure most people see these when looking up at a clear sky anyway)

adudin

I was recently PRO-REC-Y for SNA awaiting my FINSEL, anyone aware of what a very mild T1D managed primarily with diet and exercise and recently prescribed metformin would disqualify me from? It's very recent, recruiter mentioned I'm good to go for OCS but I'm pretty sure I'll be disqualified from flying, will I have opportunity to be redesignated or will this completely disqualify me from Navy?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Diabetes (either type 1 or type 2 ) is disqualifying for accession. Don't know where your recruiter is coming from on this one. If you're truly a type 1 in the early phase of the disease, my guess is that you're in the "honeymoon" period where a degree of insulin production remains. I'm afraid your military aspirations are over.

V/R

jvjack18

I was recently PRO-REC-Y for SNA awaiting my FINSEL, anyone aware of what a very mild T1D managed primarily with diet and exercise and recently prescribed metformin would disqualify me from? It's very recent, recruiter mentioned I'm good to go for OCS but I'm pretty sure I'll be disqualified from flying, will I have opportunity to be redesignated or will this completely disqualify me from Navy?
How did you successfully clear MEPS with T1D? Just curious since you mentioned you got the ProRec Y

adudin

How did you successfully clear MEPS with T1D? Just curious since you mentioned you got the ProRec Y
I cleared the MEPS before I had the T1D diagnosed, a few months later was when I had a high blood sugar result come up, and when I put my app in, I wasn't aware of this.

adudin

Diabetes (either type 1 or type 2 ) is disqualifying for accession. Don't know where your recruiter is coming from on this one. If you're truly a type 1 in the early phase of the disease, my guess is that you're in the "honeymoon" period where a degree of insulin production remains. I'm afraid your military aspirations are over.

V/R
It seems the recruiter isn't aware of the health disqualifiers. Navy does their flight physical after OCS so as much as the Navy knows from my initial MEPS (where I didn't have T1D) I am cleared for going to OCS. Recruiter says that after OCS when I do the physical is where (I know for sure I'll be disqualified from flying) I will find out what (if anything) I'll be redesignated to. But I didn't want to waste time going there not knowing I'll most likely be disqualified from service in general. Thank you for your reply.
V/R

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Might want to show him/her DODI 6130.03 pretty soon, along with your updated medical information. I think that will save a lot of effort all around. You cannot be commissioned. As soon as the medical staff sees your record, you'll be sent home.
Sorry for the bad news.

V/R

Astro_Rekt

Hello,

Getting ready to apply for SNA this upcoming board. Was cleared at MEPS this past week, but wanted to ask if there were any medical tests I can do in preparation for OCS for the waivers I'll probably need?

Childhood asthma (ended age 11-12). I have a Methacholine test that was completed last July (2018) for the Air Force. So it'll be longer than <1 year requirement NAMI has.
PVCs. Had a workup done by MEPS when I applied for the Air Force originally in 2016, they were found to be benign and I was cleared back then.

The Air Force didn't grant my waiver(s) when I was selected as a pilot applicant in February (2018). Not completely sure why and they weren't very clear on that reasoning.

Thanks for any help.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello,

Getting ready to apply for SNA this upcoming board. Was cleared at MEPS this past week, but wanted to ask if there were any medical tests I can do in preparation for OCS for the waivers I'll probably need?

Childhood asthma (ended age 11-12). I have a Methacholine test that was completed last July (2018) for the Air Force. So it'll be longer than <1 year requirement NAMI has.
PVCs. Had a workup done by MEPS when I applied for the Air Force originally in 2016, they were found to be benign and I was cleared back then.

The Air Force didn't grant my waiver(s) when I was selected as a pilot applicant in February (2018). Not completely sure why and they weren't very clear on that reasoning.

Thanks for any help.

Unless you’re specifically asked don’t waste your money getting medical tests or evaluations.

Hey Doc,
Had muscle spasms at OCS that were reported as heart palpitations. On the medical documents, it says that they didn’t find anything on EKG and I was returned to my class on active status. Am I alright or should I be worried?

I leave for OCS in 2020. Just had a regularly scheduled physical done and mentioned some regular heartburn I have been having (spicier than normal diet on a visit to Texas). Doctor ordered an endoscopy just to rule out GERD or anything like that. Do I have to mention this to my recruiter if it comes back negative?