• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Fantastic, I'll look that document over ASAP. Additionally, I know that the flight physical comes after OCS. Is there any similar document that I would be able to access and look for information? The end goal is Pilot, and I'd hate to commission only to be told no to the front seat.

Edit: Looking at subsection f, it appears the disqualifying factor would be "vertebral fractures including but not limited to..."
To answer your question, my recruiter is a bit befuddled. It kicked back a MEPS file from 2017 when I attempted to enlist in the ANG but called it quits because I was too close to graduation. File said I am DQ'd but can submit more data. Not too sure where to look for waivers, but I'm about to turn 22 so I've got 10 years to fight this. Just gotta be armed with the right information. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
The Aeromedical Waiver Guide covers physical standards for aviation. Note that some conditions are disqualifying for candidates, with no waiver recommended. Candidates must be able to qualify for all airframes. If your back is bad now, it is only going to get worse in the military, regardless of what you do.

V/R

exNavyOffRec

Fantastic, I'll look that document over ASAP. Additionally, I know that the flight physical comes after OCS. Is there any similar document that I would be able to access and look for information? The end goal is Pilot, and I'd hate to commission only to be told no to the front seat.

Edit: Looking at subsection f, it appears the disqualifying factor would be "vertebral fractures including but not limited to..."
To answer your question, my recruiter is a bit befuddled. It kicked back a MEPS file from 2017 when I attempted to enlist in the ANG but called it quits because I was too close to graduation. File said I am DQ'd but can submit more data. Not too sure where to look for waivers, but I'm about to turn 22 so I've got 10 years to fight this. Just gotta be armed with the right information. Thanks for your help.

They won't see you because you are already DQ, do you still have a ruptured disc, a bulging disc, and degenerative back disease?

TimeBomb, understood. Going to the doctor next week for a "full workup" and release for physical activity. We'll see if that does the trick.

NavyOffRec, to be honest, I'm not really sure if those are things that go away. I did not have surgery, but if there is a way to "get rid" of those things I would love that. By "they won't see [me]" do you mean MEPS in general, or the flight surgeon? I'm really not sure what to expect when it comes time for a flight physical.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
TimeBomb, understood. Going to the doctor next week for a "full workup" and release for physical activity. We'll see if that does the trick.

NavyOffRec, to be honest, I'm not really sure if those are things that go away. I did not have surgery, but if there is a way to "get rid" of those things I would love that. By "they won't see [me]" do you mean MEPS in general, or the flight surgeon? I'm really not sure what to expect when it comes time for a flight physical.
As mentioned, if it's DQ in the aviation waiver guide for SNA or SNFO, it's hard (probably impossible) to fight. Do some research there. I needed two waivers just to get accepted. Do fight if it's not auto DQ though. My OR basically told me not to bother when I had mentioned childhood asthma.. And had no records proving it had ever gone away, despite playing high school football and no issues etc. Spending 100 bucks to get a pulmonary function test probably got my waiver (side story, got pneumonia while at OCS and had to do the test again just before moving into H class. Failed miserably. Luckily was allowed to retake).

Cooperd0g

pilot
Doc, quick question. If a friend I knew had a bb (from a BB gun), and was hit as a young child in the corner of the eye between the nose and eyelid would that DQ him/her from pilot? All vision tests since childhood have been perfect. Including military vision tests.

Is the BB still stuck in the eye? If so, that’s a problem. If not, and they pass they exams, they will be fine.

Cooperd0g

pilot
Question for the docs, here's the situation. In 2014 I was diagnosed with (1) a stress fracture in the lower back, (2) one ruptured, one bulging disc, and (3) degenerative disc disease in the lower back. I am currently asymptomatic, and have multiple doctor's reports speaking to the fact that I am fine. MEPS has all of this paperwork, and has disqualified me from getting a physical.

I am currently a professional pilot, and am looking for advice on how to proceed. Is this the end of the line for a SNA slot? Is this waiverable? I'm not quite sure how this will play out.

If MEPS won’t give you a physical then you aren’t even qualified to be in the military. You have to at least be qualified to be in the military before aviation medicine will look at you. All I can say is work with your recruiter, or a different one. Look up MANMED Ch 15, that has the medical rules for entry to service.

exNavyOffRec

So you have listed items that I and others that I have served with are getting a decent amount of disability pay for, and given that MEPS won't even see you again is kind of telling that your path is over.

HootyHoo

Currently AD Army w/ an Airborne unit. I jump out of Aircraft often.

I had an Alpha Gal (Meat) allergy, and would have a history of Anaphylaxis that I never reported until 2 years ago. I was never prescribed an Epi Pen or an Inhaler for it.

I am back to eating meat, and have not had an episode for a year and ten months.

Are my shots at being at being an SNA FUBAR? Hopefully, I didn’t screw my self over.

I passed a SERE physical this year.

I’ve heard NAMI is quite difficult, and had banked on attending OCS and being a navy Pilot or NFO.

I received an appt with my Dr. at the Allergy clinic yesterday. He has made the encounter in AHLTA stating that “SM no longer sensitive to Alpha Gal allergy. SM is not required to carry an Epi Pen. SM can conduct all duties with no restrictions. SM is released from Allergy/Immunology care.”

Will my medical history even pop up? Or will it be a clean slate? Is there really anything I can do about this situation? I’m among few people who have had this Allergy, and had it fade away.

rymo96

I cannot find anything about cosmetic/elective surgery such as liposuction in the aeromedical waiver guide or AW. Does anyone here know of any possible affects of liposuction with aviation duties?

geoca

Hello everyone,
I have a question for the flight surgeons out there or anyone that can help. I went and got my flight physical, everything went well except I had an abnormal EKG (look below). I was pretty confused and a little worried because this the first time a doctor has ever brought up a heart issue. I was ordered to see a cardiologist and get a TTE. I got a TTE and the report said everything was normal except “There is physiologic tricuspid valve regurgitation”. When I asked the doctor about this he said it was trivial and made it sound like its not a big deal. I saw in the waver guide in 3.6 VALVULAR CONDITIONS (OTHER) that there is a waiver for this. I sent my report to NAMI and hopefully they’ll get back to me soon, but my question is this something I should be worried about, will this be an issue, or will this restrict me from certain aircraft? I’m graduating in 5 weeks and hopefully going to OCS in September so I’m a little worried about my things might play out...

EGK results
  • Normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia
  • Right axis deviation
  • Pulmonary disease pattern
  • Abnormal ECG

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everyone,
I have a question for the flight surgeons out there or anyone that can help. I went and got my NAMI physical, everything went well except I had an abnormal EKG (look below). I was pretty confused and a little worried because this the first time a doctor has ever brought up a heart issue. I was ordered to see a cardiologist and get a TTE. I got a TTE and the report said everything was normal except “There is physiologic tricuspid valve regurgitation”. When I asked the doctor about this he said it was trivial and made it sound like its not a big deal. I saw in the waver guide in 3.6 VALVULAR CONDITIONS (OTHER) that there is a waiver for this. I sent my report to NAMI and hopefully they’ll get back to me soon, but my question is this something I should be worried about, will this be an issue, or will this restrict me from certain aircraft? I’m graduating in 5 weeks and hopefully going to OCS in September so I’m a little worried about my things might play out...

EGK results
  • Normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia
  • Right axis deviation
  • Pulmonary disease pattern
  • Abnormal ECG

How did you get a NAMI physical without going to OCS yet?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Your tricuspid regurgitation (TR) has been labeled "physiologic" so I wouldn't worry about that. "Trace" or "mild" TR is extremely common, almost to the point of being a "within normal limits" finding in a young, otherwise healthy person.

In my experience at NAMI, the most common cause for an abnormal axis on an EKG in the standard issue SNA/SNFO was that the corpsman inadvertently reversed the left and right arm leads, but that's pretty easy to diagnose when reviewing the EKG. Second most common cause was that the candidate was a tall, skinny kid whose heart was positioned more vertically in the chest and pulled the main voltage axis toward the right.

V/R