• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Nax

Good to know I can redesignate if available, guess I can always revisit my top 6 job wishlist. Appreciate all the responses!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Redesignate if the rate is available or go home

Small point of order, but it's not a "rate." It's a "designator" or "community." Navy enlisted have "ratings" which is often referred to as a "rate." That's technically incorrect, but everyone understands the lingo and uses the terms interchangeably (myself included).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Andrew_franny

Hey all, I have an interesting situation that I'm hoping someone can assist with.

First time at MEPS (2 years ago) I failed the PIP color vision test scoring an 8/14. Shortly after I found out that the Navy is now using the Rabin Cone Contrast test as a secondary screening for color vision. I found the RCCT test with a private optometrist and took it. I am able to pass the RCCT according to NAMI standards. I submitted the paperwork to my recruiter, and they let me apply for aviation boards. I was recently selected for SNA last month, slated for the OCT 9th OCS class. My physical was expired by a month and so I needed to redo the medical exam. When the color vision test came around, I scored a 3/14 or something really low. They moved the room in which they provided the test, and I believe it may have impacted my results.

Two main questions here:

1. I recognize that my RCCT was not administered by a Navy Physician, but I'm having a difficult time understanding why I was able to restart this application process on the premise that I can pass the RCCT, only to have it not hold any weight in the N33 conclusion of being medically DQ'd.

2. Since I do feel as though my PIP scores were influenced by the room environment, is there any possible way to get retested by another MEPS or contest the scores?

I would also like to say that I understand the importance of color vision in aviation, I just don't want to count myself out until I've tried absolutely everything.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy quandary.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all, I have an interesting situation that I'm hoping someone can assist with.

First time at MEPS (2 years ago) I failed the PIP color vision test scoring an 8/14. Shortly after I found out that the Navy is now using the Rabin Cone Contrast test as a secondary screening for color vision. I found the RCCT test with a private optometrist and took it. I am able to pass the RCCT according to NAMI standards. I submitted the paperwork to my recruiter, and they let me apply for aviation boards. I was recently selected for SNA last month, slated for the OCT 9th OCS class. My physical was expired by a month and so I needed to redo the medical exam. When the color vision test came around, I scored a 3/14 or something really low. They moved the room in which they provided the test, and I believe it may have impacted my results.

Two main questions here:

1. I recognize that my RCCT was not administered by a Navy Physician, but I'm having a difficult time understanding why I was able to restart this application process on the premise that I can pass the RCCT, only to have it not hold any weight in the N33 conclusion of being medically DQ'd.

2. Since I do feel as though my PIP scores were influenced by the room environment, is there any possible way to get retested by another MEPS or contest the scores?

I would also like to say that I understand the importance of color vision in aviation, I just don't want to count myself out until I've tried absolutely everything.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy quandary.
First, this is why they stopped letting people apply without a physical and valid PQ letter for the designator they are applying to, this isn't on you but those that let this happen.

You need to pass the basic entrance standards, then NAMI comes into play, N33 or N3M as sometimes referred to has standards that are more relaxed than NAMI 10/14 vice 12/14 for NAMI, but then if you don't make the 12/14 for the NAMI physical the other test come into play.

You can't MEPS jump, your best bet is to submit a civilian test and hope for the best, the secondary test are Waggoner, CAD and CCT.

Since you were supposed to start OCS Oct 9th I am guessing they have rescinded the Pro Y due to being NPQ for SNA, you would need to see if you get PQ what they want to turn that back on.

Andrew_franny

First, this is why they stopped letting people apply without a physical and valid PQ letter for the designator they are applying to, this isn't on you but those that let this happen.

You need to pass the basic entrance standards, then NAMI comes into play, N33 or N3M as sometimes referred to has standards that are more relaxed than NAMI 10/14 vice 12/14 for NAMI, but then if you don't make the 12/14 for the NAMI physical the other test come into play.

You can't MEPS jump, your best bet is to submit a civilian test and hope for the best, the secondary test are Waggoner, CAD and CCT.

Since you were supposed to start OCS Oct 9th I am guessing they have rescinded the Pro Y due to being NPQ for SNA, you would need to see if you get PQ what they want to turn that back on.
Thank you for getting back to me on this. I did submit my passing CCT scores to my recruiter who then passed it on to N33. It appears that it didn’t make a difference in being NPQ.

The only thing my recruiter said I could do was get a 12/14 with a private optometrist on the Ishihara test.

Should I try to find the Waggoner and the CAD test and to submit those passing results to him?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I did submit my passing CCT scores to my recruiter who then passed it on to N33. It appears that it didn’t make a difference in being NPQ.

The only thing my recruiter said I could do was get a 12/14 with a private optometrist on the Ishihara test.

Should I try to find the Waggoner and the CAD test and to submit those passing results to him?
That would be something to try, even 10/14 might work as that is the standard they use.

CropDuster0524

Hello, does anyone know where I can find more details about NAMI dental standards? I have searched the site and have read through the NAMI document outlining standards for SNA. It specifically notes that applicants must have Class II dental readiness. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I just want to make sure what I am dealing with isn't disqualifying, otherwise, I will get it fixed before applying for OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello, does anyone know where I can find more details about NAMI dental standards? I have searched the site and have read through the NAMI document outlining standards for SNA. It specifically notes that applicants must have Class II dental readiness. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I just want to make sure what I am dealing with isn't disqualifying, otherwise, I will get it fixed before applying for OCS.