• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

exNavyOffRec

In the NAMI guide those are parameters in which I’ve seen people get waived for being outside the parameters. Waivers are case bay case basis so it all depends on your current situation. To give yourself the best shot though you want to be within parameters…
Epipens were a non starter, a start would be to make sure a doc clarifies it isn't needed.

Nax

Question for NAMI waiver

BLUF: Asymptomatic asthma with no history until recent diagnosis looking for advice and chances of waiver at NAMI for Pilot.

Got an interesting situation and I've looked through all the documents regarding NAMI, but looking for advice form a flight surgeon since my recruiter cant get me in contact with one. I'm hoping to maybe get waived for asthma at NAMI.

I did AFROTC for four years and was medically disqualified for service because when I went for flight physical there I was diagnosed with asthma (to much of my surprise) due to a below normal PFT. I have never had an issue with asthma, no medications, no hospitalizations, and no physical restrictions needed (I always passed the air force PT test with 90% or higher). Since I didn't take kindly to that I went to the nearest Navy recruiter and set out for MEPS and the Navy gave me a full waiver with no restrictions. I have also received a special issuance flight third class medical from the FAA.

Since then, I have received my dream slot and been awarded a Pilot slot for OCS, which I am expected to attend next year. I ask here though because I wondered if anyone could tell me, is NAMI going to take one look at me and med DQ me like the Air Force did for an essentially non-existent asthma? Or is it possible for me to get a waiver for flight?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Question for NAMI waiver

BLUF: Asymptomatic asthma with no history until recent diagnosis looking for advice and chances of waiver at NAMI for Pilot.

Got an interesting situation and I've looked through all the documents regarding NAMI, but looking for advice form a flight surgeon since my recruiter cant get me in contact with one. I'm hoping to maybe get waived for asthma at NAMI.

I did AFROTC for four years and was medically disqualified for service because when I went for flight physical there I was diagnosed with asthma (to much of my surprise) due to a below normal PFT. I have never had an issue with asthma, no medications, no hospitalizations, and no physical restrictions needed (I always passed the air force PT test with 90% or higher). Since I didn't take kindly to that I went to the nearest Navy recruiter and set out for MEPS and the Navy gave me a full waiver with no restrictions. I have also received a special issuance flight third class medical from the FAA.

Since then, I have received my dream slot and been awarded a Pilot slot for OCS, which I am expected to attend next year. I ask here though because I wondered if anyone could tell me, is NAMI going to take one look at me and med DQ me like the Air Force did for an essentially non-existent asthma? Or is it possible for me to get a waiver for flight?

From what I’ve heard they look at a PFT and another test I forgot the name, I went to MEPS childhood asthma came up and I took a pulmonary function test and methocholine challenge test and passed and required no waiver and got PQ.

Had a buddy with same scenario as me and he’s flying F-35C’s now.

Nax

From what I’ve heard they look at a PFT and another test I forgot the name, I went to MEPS childhood asthma came up and I took a pulmonary function test and methocholine challenge test and passed and required no waiver and got PQ.

Had a buddy with same scenario as me and he’s flying F-35C’s now.
Well thats my whole issue though, I barely failed my PFT, hence why the Air Force DQed me, but I also had to take an MCT for them, which I passed. This was all known when I went to MEPS and I gave all the documents I had, so the Navy is well aware that I have this condition, and gave me a full waiver.

But its the fact that I cannot produce a normal range PFT that I am concerned greatly for NAMI. Especially considering I have heard of people getting waivers and some getting totally denied (my own recruiter was a pilot and he said he had asthma).

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Hit the treadmill then, I’m no doc so I don’t know how to fix that PFT. I do know that running opens your air ways and clears out your lungs.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Air Force is more strict on waivers as well. Each branch has their own policies when it comes to granted a waiver. Air contracts in the Air Force, I know they are now starting to let people in with glasses, but other than that I haven’t seen anything else get waived

taxi1

pilot
But its the fact that I cannot produce a normal range PFT that I am concerned greatly for NAMI.
Pulmonary function is primarily a physical test, correct? If so, you can train for it.

The reason why I know about it.

If you care enough, you will do what needs doing.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Pulmonary function is primarily a physical test, correct? If so, you can train for it.

The reason why I know about it.

If you care enough, you will do what needs doing.

The PFT you breath into a tube in a chamber, and the the MCT has these agents that will induce asthma if you have it and you’ll breath into the tube and it measures your lung volume, force, oxygen, etc…

I had to do it since childhood asthma came up and I passed it and did not require any further action or waiver

exNavyOffRec

Hit the treadmill then, I’m no doc so I don’t know how to fix that PFT. I do know that running opens your air ways and clears out your lungs.
Not necessarily, there is athletic induced asthma where the increased flow of air in and out of your airway causes breathing issues.

Nax

So my pulmonologist I saw diagnosed me with Exercised Induced Asthma because it was the mildest diagnoses he could put on record. However, never in my many years of physical activity, have I had issue with any activity. I run plenty now and did good with the Air Force too, I currently am prepping for OCS by running multiple times a week with an altitude mask on ask well to try to train my lungs more, but I will check out the links, thank you.

Just concerned that NAMI will do to me what Wright-Patt AFB did and take one look and DQ me.

exNavyOffRec

So my pulmonologist I saw diagnosed me with Exercised Induced Asthma because it was the mildest diagnoses he could put on record. However, never in my many years of physical activity, have I had issue with any activity. I run plenty now and did good with the Air Force too, I currently am prepping for OCS by running multiple times a week with an altitude mask on ask well to try to train my lungs more, but I will check out the links, thank you.

Just concerned that NAMI will do to me what Wright-Patt AFB did and take one look and DQ me.
Just do what you can, there are those things in life we can't control, at the end of the day it sounds like you will be able to look back and say you did everything you could.

Nax

So then, say I do get NAMI whammied, what happens to me at OCS then? Do I drop from the class, different job?