• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

I had a second flight physical performed in April because the first paper copy was missing some information and Millington kicked it back. I got my NAMI PQ back in December because the electronic copy was good to go. Since I will probably be at OCS past the latter's calendar year mark, someone suggested I go to Newport with more up to date flight physicals because OCS medical is apparently a pain in the ass. I'm wondering what that gouge is as far as anyone else who has shown up WITH paperwork and if that is indeed a valid recommendation, or I should just ignore that suggestion.

I had a second flight physical performed in April because the first paper copy was missing some information and Millington kicked it back. I got my NAMI PQ back in December because the electronic copy was good to go. Since I will probably be at OCS past the latter's calendar year mark, someone suggested I go to Newport with more up to date flight physicals because OCS medical is apparently a pain in the ass. I'm wondering what that gouge is as far as anyone else who has shown up WITH paperwork and if that is indeed a valid recommendation, or I should just ignore that suggestion.
Dude you'll be completely fine and not have to do any medical at ocs as long as it's updated in aero health. Many snas and SNFOs PQ letter were over a year old and didn't have to redo anything at ocs. Myself included.

Dude you'll be completely fine and not have to do any medical at ocs as long as it's updated in aero health. Many snas and SNFOs PQ letter were over a year old and didn't have to redo anything at ocs. Myself included.
Dope, exactly what I was looking for. I would rather not wait around in a waiting room for no reason lol. Never once had to wait here to be seen which has been super nice.

jotaiza

Currently enlisted wanting to commission for SNA. As soon as I got into the reserves I transferred to Tricare Select. I've since used that Tricare select to take an allergy test and found out I'm allergic to a lot of things. I've survived my whole 24 years of life without an epipen or emergency reactions or anything crazy along those lines but have suddenly been prescribed an epipen and inhaler?? Can I still be an Aviator? Can I take allergy shots and still be an aviator? Is it possible I can just commission without disclosing this? I know lying is wrong and could get me in trouble but this is a passion and a dream I've had since i was 5 and don't want it taken away for something that feels wrong.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Currently enlisted wanting to commission for SNA. As soon as I got into the reserves I transferred to Tricare Select. I've since used that Tricare select to take an allergy test and found out I'm allergic to a lot of things. I've survived my whole 24 years of life without an epipen or emergency reactions or anything crazy along those lines but have suddenly been prescribed an epipen and inhaler?? Can I still be an Aviator? Can I take allergy shots and still be an aviator? Is it possible I can just commission without disclosing this? I know lying is wrong and could get me in trouble but this is a passion and a dream I've had since i was 5 and don't want it taken away for something that feels wrong.

Go get a pulmonary function test and if it comes back normal then the inhaler won’t even get mentioned. Same thing happened to me and I did the PFT and got it all cleared no waiver needed for “asthma”

exNavyOffRec

If you are on TRICARE they will know. If you were given an epipen your allergies must have had a strong enough reaction to cause that doctor to feel it was necessary. It is possible to be find and then start to develop allergies later in life, it happened to me.

Should you not disclose when it is found out things could go quite bad.

Tumbleweed33

If you are on TRICARE they will know. If you were given an epipen your allergies must have had a strong enough reaction to cause that doctor to feel it was necessary. It is possible to be find and then start to develop allergies later in life, it happened to me.

Should you not disclose when it is found out things could go quite bad.
I was wondering what happens to the guys and gals who are caught lying about these things?

exNavyOffRec

I was wondering what happens to the guys and gals who are caught lying about these things?
If you fail to disclose or lie it could be really nothing, or it could end up at a courts martial, there has been one case where a individual was caught lying and it was significant enough they were sent to court martial, convicted and sent to the brig.

In most cases when caught lying it just results in an entry level separation, it is more commonly seen on the enlisted side due to some recruiters saying to keep quiet and also just due to the numbers that go enlisted vice officer.

If it is just an oversight such as not knowing and not waiverable they will just send you home, I have seen a few of those where the kid was so young he just didn't remember and then it came up later down the road. If waiverable they will do what they can to keep you.

HuggyU2

None
Question: for Navy/Marine pilots getting a total hip replacement (anterior approach), how long from surgery to back on flying status?
Does that time change for ejection seat aircraft?

jotaiza

If you fail to disclose or lie it could be really nothing, or it could end up at a courts martial, there has been one case where a individual was caught lying and it was significant enough they were sent to court martial, convicted and sent to the brig.

In most cases when caught lying it just results in an entry level separation, it is more commonly seen on the enlisted side due to some recruiters saying to keep quiet and also just due to the numbers that go enlisted vice officer.

If it is just an oversight such as not knowing and not waiverable they will just send you home, I have seen a few of those where the kid was so young he just didn't remember and then it came up later down the road. If waiverable they will do what they can to keep you
How do we find out if something is waiverable? Where can I find out what medical situations would be disqualifying for pilots?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
How do we find out if something is waiverable? Where can I find out what medical situations would be disqualifying for pilots?

In the NAMI guide those are parameters in which I’ve seen people get waived for being outside the parameters. Waivers are case bay case basis so it all depends on your current situation. To give yourself the best shot though you want to be within parameters…