• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The CRF!!!!

batman527

Banned
raptor10 said:
WOW, I was totally off track until I read this, I started praying for you and everything. Stay safe.

Second That. However, I coulnd't figure out where in the freaking world Centralia was. I was starting to google maps of west Africa and everything... :dunce_125

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Ah, and its Alpha on FEX I... Bravo is here with us at the Hawk, enjoying the kegs provided courtesy of the ground combat element's tribute to aviation night. Note that they had it on a Monday...

Malice 1

pilot
I've returned unscathed from my tour in the highlands of Centralia. I was the saw gunner for my team. That damn thing gets heavy after a while, but it's cool to slide into cover and hip fire the weapon rambo-style during blank fire squad attacks.

It was cold at night, and the 50mph headwind on R5 started LOTS of fires during the night live fire. only two squads got to go, and the rest were called off. About 15% of R5 is burned up. Bivvy sacs are awsome, and putting on cold clothes/boots in the morning is the worst part about the FEX.

I had remedial land nav the sat. before the FEX and I have it the saturday after the FEX. I've never failed a land nav event. My SPC hates me....

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Cold Wx training

Former Arctic Alpha Lt here....

During admin bivvy (i.e. FEX I and MOUT), sleep in your skivvies, with your boots and cammies inside your sack with you. they'll still be moist in the morning, but won't be frozen. During tactical bivvies, make sure you have some extra layers to wear at nite, and try to at least cover yourself with poncho w/ liner and/or open bivvy sack. Make sure you're on your isomat when you're laying behind a SAW in the defense. I know you get cold during the day when you don't fire the FPF on warming layers/gortex, but believe me, you'll thank yourself at night when it's -90 degrees and wet. 4 hours of semi-comfortable sleep beats 20 hours of uber-cold state of daze.

The best TBS advice you'll ever get: don't get recycled; the summer also sucks. Trust me.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
TBS basically sucks in general, be it Winter or Fall. On a positive note, I just got back from karaoke night at the Hawk... While there, we suceeded in turing virtually every song into an anthem for Fox Co. 'Let it be' was 'Fox Company', etc... it was excellent, to say the least. The sad thing is, now that I'm off to Pensacola and the big wait, that a part of me will miss this place. The friends I've made and the things I've done at Camp Barrett have been awesome. Though you WILL find yourseld hating life and questioning your resolve, realize that this whole thing is an important part of becoming an officer of Marines. Its good training, good times, and an awesome experience. Good luck-

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Well said. Im with Alpha, half way through, and Im now just beginning to realize what this place is all about. Good luck, and have fun in P-cola. See you there in a few months.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Wookie said:
Did they ever get around to fixing up the classrooms? Nothing more motivating than falling ceiling panels...

Some things never change... They just finished remodeling classroms 3 and 4, both of which are nice. 1 and 2 still put you at risk for catastrophic head injury by ceiling panel. O'Bannon Hall is on the brink of collapse, as evidenced by the weekly floods, power outages, and constant lack of hot water. In 10 days, it will cease to matter, as I am heading for the warmer climates of A-pool. Farewell, Quantico.:D

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
Oh yeah, gotta love the AC unit across the hall that exploded and flooded out my room. The MIKE Company LD's saved the day though. In an attempt to save clothes I had folded on the floor (which were already completely drenched in black water), they picked up the pile and threw it on top of my computer...This place is a major pain in the ass, but it's something that every Marine officer has to do, and there are a lot of good times. Regardless of how bad days can be, you always do it together!

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
ghost119 said:
So with all these complaints about the current state of the buildings, would you say it would be better if they just set up tents outside?

Why do you think people say FEX I is actually kinda fun.... and that is without tents!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
ghost119 said:
So with all these complaints about the current state of the buildings, would you say it would be better if they just set up tents outside?

NO, regardless of how bad the buildings are the buildings do provide a MUCH better guard against weather than tents. I went through with Alpha and while the buildings were far from ideal they were a much welcomed sight on many cold cold days...that and rain.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
You guys are better Marines than me....I never liked the field time so much, I got used to it...but in the rain and mud in FEX III defense...I never thought to myself that it was "great"...

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Just give me a poncho, ka-bar, some 550 cord, and my uniform and boots and i'll be happy. :)

Hey, thats the most 'oo-rah, hard core' Marine stuff some of us are gonna get. When is the next time we are going to dig in and be in the D for a few days, or go on the O for a few days. Yeah, its cold and wet and sleep is not easy to get, but its some good trash. Semper Fi ghost...

motv8r

Where do I sign up?
graduated with "Easy" Company this January. We probably had the some of the worst weather of '05... triple digits at first and 8" of snow, freezing rain during all of our FEXs. I had fun through all of it. Enjoy your FEXs who knows if you will ever be doing that type of training again. I happen to be former CRF turned 2ndLt... The enlisted CIs are some funny guys and they know their stuff. Have fun!