• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
That's an instrument approach that uses larger DME arcs like that. Trust me, Ellington has a tower pattern. Not only did I grow up ~3 miles from the field, I've personally taken a jet into there for the airshow. It has a break that, like most airforce fields, is ridiculously high.
Yeah, I have flown there in a 172 a few times. For us, it was a 600 ft pattern to keep us below mil aircraft and such. I have the seen the 16's break there a few times, and they looked like ~1200 to ~1300 ft on the run in. I fly out of LaPorte, T41, and live in Deer Park.

As a Harrier guy, ever do time w/ VMA 223? Had a bro there that was a tech or crew chief.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
BTW ..... in case none of you have noticed .... this has "morphed" into an excellent discussion of .... FLYYING ..... as in "stuff that counts" .... instead of the usual AW drivel about video games, what do I use to clear up my pimples, who has the baddest car and, of course, who has the largest penis on AW ??? .... :)

.... and of course, the answer to that is: none of you. :)) once again)

I don't know what usually goes on here because I've been deployed 18 of the last 24 months, but I can imagine that being frustrating. I agree that any discussion about flying is better than those things you mentioned. If you look at my first post in this thread you'll see I didn't mean to cause a stir. A moderator called me out on some stuff he had no frame of reference about, and a member asked me to clarify what I thought was unsafe about the break. I clarified, and my opinion stands. Schnug questioned my integrity, and now somehow thinks the best way to fix that is to threaten to ban me. That'd be cool I guess, at least it would be solved, but it doesn't settle the fact that he basically called me a liar and hasn't said a thing about it since. So if I'm the bad guy, I'll take that on board, but come on gentlemen?

Screamtruth

นักมวย
BTW ..... in case none of you have noticed .... this has "morphed" into an excellent discussion of .... FLYYING ..... as in "stuff that counts" .... instead of the usual AW drivel about video games, what do I use to clear up my pimples, who has the baddest car and, of course, who has the largest penis on AW ??? .... :)

.... and of course, the answer to that is: none of you. :)) once again)
That is why I like this thread because I am getting answers about flying from aviators in the fleet, who do it.

Right on.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
One side from a single, inexperienced, over-enthusiastic first tour JO, the other from a handfull of more seasoned aviators from a variety of platforms. You do the math. If he thinks that a slower break is dangerous, then God bless. His opinion is not replicated in the Naval Aviation community at large. I'm not here to mallign the guy. He is entitled to his opinion, it just happens to be wrong.

Brett

watch out bro, I hear d!cks get banned around here.

but to clarify, once again, my concerns relate to the Hornet specifically so as much as I've enjoyed and appreciated the opinions of the "more seasoned aviators from a variety of platforms" I don't really think they apply

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
my bad, thought it was to identify hazards

You're absolutely right, it is to identify the hazards, but ultimately why does anyone care? To prevent a mishap, whether it's dropping piece of equipment someones toe or preventing a big gray thing from meeting the ground abruptly. I know you know this, just clarifying for those who don't.

As for large flying d!cks and those that are banned.... Just keep in mind that this place tends to be run like a ready/wardroom. If you're the new guy, you have no street cred. Right or wrong, it happens in real life as well as here. Doesn't matter if you're deployed 40 months out of the last 36 while fighting al Quaida uphill in the rain and snow. I'm not getting in the middle of you and Schnug, just giving some perspective on what goes on here from time to time.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
You're absolutely right, it is to identify the hazards, but ultimately why does anyone care? To prevent a mishap, whether it's dropping piece of equipment someones toe or preventing a big gray thing from meeting the ground abruptly. I know you know this, just clarifying for those who don't.

As for large flying d!cks and those that are banned.... Just keep in mind that this place tends to be run like a ready/wardroom. If you're the new guy, you have no street cred. Right or wrong, it happens in real life as well as here. Doesn't matter if you're deployed 40 months out of the last 36 while fighting al Quaida uphill in the rain and snow. I'm not getting in the middle of you and Schnug, just giving some perspective on what goes on here from time to time.

no worries, my first username was just chiplee, which I had years ago, but I never have posted much here. That name was somehow lost in one of the many "flight school" moves we're all so familiar with. Just never had time to try to recover it so I registered again as chiplee1. I'm all about hazing the new guys but threats of banning are not my MO. At least not publicly, and definitely not after questioning someone's integrity. To each his own, especially when he's in charge. In any case, thanks for trying to explain.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Dick=
ban.gif

sorry, just trying to get the post count up so I can get some props

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right, like you've never posted anything about guns, right? WTF does a guns post have to do with flying? :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right, like you've never posted anything about guns, right? WTF does a guns post have to do with flying? :D

Airplanes have guns. The military is, to its general core, about killing people with guns (and explosives of course). So, it makes sense to me. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Excellent observation, (above) FLY-GUY .....

Oh .... Steve, Steve, Steve .... crazy Steve ..... precocious Steve .... bawdy Steve .... insane Steve ..... SWO Steve ..... humorous Steve ..... humor (him) Steve ...... :icon_lol: I think, without checking, that most/all of my post on guns that I originated went into the "Miscellaneous" forum .... you know; the one described as "for anything not covered elsewhere" ????? I don't make the rules, Steve .... :)

And "guns" and "flying" and the "military" ??? I carried two when flying OCCONUS B-I-T-D ..... but you're right, jocular yet insightful Steve .... I can't see any connection(s) ..... time for lime squeezing ..... :icon_rast

Status
Not open for further replies.