• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
and I will not qualify another of your posts with a response, unless it is to say "I stand corrected"

sorry bro, i don't usually get in on cat fights, BUT....

not to bag on A4's (much :) ), but the above has not happened to my knowledge on AW (and won't anytime soon so long as A4's is still alive and kicking)

(also, just in case you haven't read it in the forums, A4's apparently has lots of experience. he'll tell you himself, a lot (smiles for A4's :) :) )

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
And my wife wonders why I sit here and read this "stuff". This is so good.:D
I really don't try to instigate this stuff, but this is not the first time something I've posted has done this... All I can say is I'm LEARNING A LOT.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
sorry bro, i don't usually get in on cat fights, BUT....

not to bag on A4's (much :) ), but the above has not happened to my knowledge on AW (and won't anytime soon so long as A4's is still alive and kicking)

(also, just in case you haven't read it in the forums, A4's apparently has lots of experience. he'll tell you himself, a lot (smiles for A4's :) :) )
AWWWWLLLRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT !!!!!

Here you go, Squidley : I am soooooooooooooooo SORRY I said "chiplee"-whatever was constipated and would go insane in 5-10 years. Experience tells me I should say this ..... :) ..... and I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ..... sometimes.

apocalypsebrando.jpg
kurtz_kurtz.jpg
..... time to go squeeze some limes ..... :)

Chubby

I don't mean to be the dumbass here, but what do you mean by the groove? Also I cannot see the pictures with the pattern numbers on them, but what are yall talking about with the 180's and the 90's?:confused:
Alright here goes, take your box pattern at the field and round the edges. Now you have an oval. The 180 is where you start your turn to the field read "turn to base" only you continue the turn and dont go wings level as you would on base. It is 180 degrees off of your runway heading. The 90 is the point at which you are 90 degrees off your runway heading "base" only we're still turning. The groove is your short final. Help any?

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
for clarification

This is the pattern, except in A4 land where you just call the different positions anything you want 'cause thinking is for idiots, like me.

PATTERN.bmp

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Alright here goes, take your box pattern at the field and round the edges. Now you have an oval. The 180 is where you start your turn to the field read "turn to base" only you continue the turn and dont go wings level as you would on base. It is 180 degrees off of your runway heading. The 90 is the point at which you are 90 degrees off your runway heading "base" only we're still turning. The groove is your short final. Help any?
Got it, makes sense. So when you say short final for the groove, you are talking 1 to 2 nm or less?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Got it, makes sense. So when you say short final for the groove, you are talking 1 to 2 nm or less?

even less than that

The groove length you're shooting for is 15-18 secs. At the boat, these means you "usually" turn at the round down (the aft end of the ship, its painted white). Of course, at the field, since its not moving away from you, you have to time it depending on the wind. In high winds, you might turn at the abeam or very shortly thereafter. In low winds, you're gonna have to start counting and see what works.

PS: this thread is making me laugh

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
I believe its 12-15 seconds for the jet bubba's, could be wrong there though. It's give or take 1200-1500' for us in T-34 land.

15-18 seconds is the goal

outside that on either side rates a landing comment from paddles, with downgrades for extreme deviations. I won't break it down by the second 'cause that would be "splitting hairs" which, I'm learning, is unauthorized.

glad the pic helped

Status
Not open for further replies.