• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Why do military aircraft fly the break? Is it to loose airspeed? Do you always have to or can you fly a standard approach like us private pilots?

What is a HATR?

Just a few questions I had, thanks in advance.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's the fastest way of getting the aircraft on the ground. Rather than slowing down from 250kts (assuming <10,000' MSL) to an approach speed around 130 kts 10 miles away from the field, the break allows you to come in and quickly lose that speed in order to dirty up and land. You can request the "straight-in" but it is not normal for most aircraft.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Thanks for the replies. I guess I just am not used to flying at 250+ knots. Usually, I cut power and the Cessna slows fast enough! LOL

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah even the good ol' COD can break 250kts. ;) But remember, the slower you go, the more flight time you get.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's the fastest way of getting the aircraft on the ground. Rather than slowing down from 250kts (assuming <10,000' MSL) to an approach speed around 130 kts 10 miles away from the field, the break allows you to come in and quickly lose that speed in order to dirty up and land. You can request the "straight-in" but it is not normal for most aircraft.

What he said.

Coming in with some smack on the jet and then using a turn and G-forces to slow down is much more effective than pulling the throttle back, popping the speedbrakes, waiting... waiting, putting the gear and flaps down, stabilizing,and then trucking in for 3-5 miles.

Jedj

It was also a tactic used to spend least amount of time flying low and slow over possible hostiles that surround an airfield. Coming in low and fast and executing a hard break turn minimized your time in a small arms or manpad envelope. This is the reason the break was created.......as a tactic.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was also a tactic used to spend least amount of time flying low and slow over possible hostiles that surround an airfield. Coming in low and fast and executing a hard break turn minimized your time in a small arms or manpad envelope. This is the reason the break was created.......as a tactic.

Yeah, except manpads are a relatively recent thing and the break has been around longer than that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm pretty sure the break was for limited time in the pattern, and not originally for low alt threats. A carrier just doesn't have time to wait to recover everyone, TBM or F-18.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shee-it, we break in the P-3 world (although I hear there's some limits now, I'm out of the US loop), and I have yet to hear a legit answer for why other than "airwork". I demo'd one to some foreign dudes and got a lot of blank stares...fun nonetheless. I like to freak people out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Some guys do it at the small boys, too (myself included). When the shoes have sent you on a goose chase, or you're actually looking at something that's put you WAY away from Mom and you need to get back to recover, it's helpful since you can buster (yes, Brett, we do actually do it ;) ) in and then break and be on short final pretty quick. Plus it's just fun to sneak up on the LSO.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
uh, 'cause it's cool. Our hands are pretty much tied these days. (350 +/- 10%) Our skipper says if you hit the "hum" you're toast. I'm young but when I started I can remember guys bringing 6 bills into the break in El Centro and I'm telling you, you haven't lived 'till you've heard a hornet, or better a section of hornets tickling the number overhead in full grunt at 800'. It motivates the troops too. I think <500 would be a more appropriate speed limit for hornets. 350 isn't a break, it isn't even safe if you ask me. It's a gentle turn to downwind, but I don't make the rules so I get my kicks elsewhere, like 500ft 500knot pitch up breaks in Oman (in my imagination)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
uh, 'cause it's cool. Our hands are pretty much tied these days. (350 +/- 10%) Our skipper says if you hit the "hum" you're toast. I'm young but when I started I can remember guys bringing 6 bills into the break in El Centro and I'm telling you, you haven't lived 'till you've heard a hornet, or better a section of hornets tickling the number overhead in full grunt at 800'. It motivates the troops too. I think <500 would be a more appropriate speed limit for hornets. 350 isn't a break, it isn't even safe if you ask me. It's a gentle turn to downwind, but I don't make the rules so I get my kicks elsewhere, like 500ft 500knot pitch up breaks in Oman (in my imagination)

For a clueless T-45 stud, what is the "hum?"

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I was told that i dates back from WWII when the British fighters didnt have as much range as the germans. When the brits would head home the germans would try to jump them from behind while they were coming in so the break was developed as a way to clear you six right before you land.

nugget81

pilot
What does the typical overhead pattern look like?

Being that I have no experience flying military aircraft, I'm curious how the overhead break is done in the real world (my ATC tower class has been practicing overheads lately). I realize that it will differ according to the aircraft and airfield, but our sim does it as follows:

3 mile initial at 1500' AGL, 400kts
Break at departure end of the runway
Base to Final turn at about 1.5 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.