• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Being that I have no experience flying military aircraft, I'm curious how the overhead break is done in the real world (my ATC tower class has been practicing overheads lately). I realize that it will differ according to the aircraft and airfield, but our sim does it as follows:

3 mile initial at 1500' AGL, 400kts
Break at departure end of the runway
Base to Final turn at about 1.5 miles

Each airfield has their own rules.

Kingsville for example was 800' (1100' for the new studs until forms) at 325ish KIAS. (night was 250 KIAS at 1100', which was not a break at all, it was a turn to downwind)

Whidbey is at 1500' AGL @ 300 KIAS (1700' AGL night)

where you break depends on how you're feeling that day (most of the time, there are exceptions where you have to break at a certain spot), if you're feeling aggresive, nice break at the numbers then

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3 mile initial at 1500' AGL, 400kts
Break at departure end of the runway
Base to Final turn at about 1.5 miles

Generally there is no "downwind to base to final," it's one continuous turn from downwind to final. At Meridian we do ours .9-1.1nm abeam (ideally).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generally there is no "downwind to base to final," it's one continuous turn from downwind to final. At Meridian we do ours .9-1.1nm abeam (ideally).

Unless you're doing a break at a civilian field... sometimes it turns into a base to final.

nugget81

pilot
Thanks for the info guys. So about the break point - is there no standard spot on the airfield or do you typically break at the numbers?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info guys. So about the break point - is there no standard spot on the airfield or do you typically break at the numbers?

It's a function of airspeed, how "on the ball" you are that day, course rules, SOP, and ATC.

Having a sh!thot day? Go for the approach end numbers at 350.... it's not really a traffic pattern as a circle.

Feeling not so hot? Departure end at 300. That's... not much of a break.

A good balance point is mid-runway.

Each airfield has its own rules.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm young but when I started I can remember guys bringing 6 bills into the break in El Centro and I'm telling you, you haven't lived 'till you've heard a hornet, or better a section of hornets tickling the number overhead in full grunt at 800'. It motivates the troops too. I think <500 would be a more appropriate speed limit for hornets. 350 isn't a break, it isn't even safe if you ask me. It's a gentle turn to downwind, but I don't make the rules so I get my kicks elsewhere, like 500ft 500knot pitch up breaks in Oman (in my imagination)

Hmmmm....

A C Hornet that can do 600 kts straight and level with a "Ubiquitous centerline tank," racks and rails? That's pushing it unless you start at 5-10k and ramp downhill in blower...and taht takes gas.

An F-14A Tomcat at mil is just over 550kts at sea level. And we've got (had...sigh) the variable intake to help us out.

800' is a standard carrier break altitude. No news there, but looks great when you're used to a field break of 1100'.

Two words for low flying fun...Beacon Flash.

r/
G

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
This past spring my friends and I did a whooping 100kt break in 3 C172's over daytona. I was surprised they let us do it but they did, and then they even let us do a formation t/o which was just as cool. My avatar sports that day.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This past spring my friends and I did a whooping 100kt break in 3 C172's over daytona. I was surprised they let us do it but they did, and then they even let us do a formation t/o which was just as cool. My avatar sports that day.

That's not a break, it's a turn.

mtgarrison

mtgarrison
The break is for the young pilot (The Junior pilot in the squadron) to show the Skipper how he can recover from a high speed stall at 800-1000 ft AGL.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
That's not a break, it's a turn.

Well, compared to the usual pattern, it is a break to us.

And also, what is a break? Loose speed, steep turn, some g's?? Right??? Well, the bank got above 60, went from 100kts to a steller 65 kts, and pulled about 3 g's, so if you think about it, i did a 'break'

:D :D

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Sometimes it's good to see the planes on the runway, or lifting, or in the pattern in general. Don't worry Brett, it's not for sale anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.