• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I can't get over the fact that the name of the user that started this API post is "Crowbar". The irony.

Crowbar

None
I can't get over the fact that the name of the user that started this API post is "Crowbar". The irony.

CUPike11 said:
Huh...I just noticed that too for the first time.

That there's some pretty astute powers of observation seeing as this thread has been on the site longer than either of you have.

Maybe I should just change my username to my college and graduation year? Seems to work for some people. Not going to do it, but if you're going to call me a tool at least (try to) make it funny.

sniper_crowbar--article_image.jpg

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
That there's some pretty astute powers of observation seeing as this thread has been on the site longer than either of you have.

Maybe I should just change my username to my college and graduation year? Seems to work for some people. Not going to do it, but if you're going to call me a tool at least (try to) make it funny.

First off, relax. No one called you a tool. And that cut about my username being my college graduation year, no that's not what my username is, but good try. I just said I noticed it and it was ironic, you're the one who got defensive about it. No one called you a tool, but some how through my one line post, you implied me calling you a tool and trying to be funny.

I apologize if thats how it came across.....its not like I went home and did a mini investigation about your username and what happened at NASC. I made my post and went on about my day not giving it another thought....much like i'm getting ready to do now with this one.

Crowbar

None
CUPike11 said:
First off, relax.

I can assure you that your post(s) have not gotten me excited. If you really think I stress over what somebody says online you are sadly mistaken.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
First off, relax. No one called you a tool. And that cut about my username being my college graduation year, no that's not what my username is, but good try. I just said I noticed it and it was ironic, you're the one who got defensive about it. No one called you a tool, but some how through my one line post, you implied me calling you a tool and trying to be funny.

You implied, he inferred.

English people!!

SNIPER_CROWBAR_by_Scare_Safe.jpg

bullas-crow-bar.jpg

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Okay...I get it, a thread about getting through API was started by a guy whose name is crowbar and API tests were recently rewritten due to someone breaking into a safe (presumably with something crowbar-like).

HA HA...HA HA...HA HA

sarcasm.jpg

Crowbar

None
Okay...I get it, a thread about getting through API was started by a guy whose name is crowbar and API tests were recently rewritten due to someone breaking into a safe (presumably with something crowbar-like).

HA HA...HA HA...HA HA

I'm a little removed from that place so I'm not up on all the stories.

bpr2006

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT API

Before API:
Find something fun to do. Don’t worry about studying before you start. While I was there, it was changed so you could only pick up your pubs within two weeks of your start date. That’s more than enough time. Put them in your bathroom and flip through them while you’re in there. Do that and you should be prepared. If you try to pre-study or make flashcards or anything, the problem is that there may be six or eight paragraphs talking about one learning objective and you don’t know what to focus on. Just wait until you get to class and you’ll see what’s important.

During API:
If there’s anything I can stress, it’s this…IT’S NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE.

People like to get all wrapped up in the daily schedule of API before they even get there. Here’s what you need to know about the schedule:
First four weeks: academics, swimming
Last two weeks: physiology, survival training
Worry about start times and class lengths break times and which classes are in what order once you start. There are six tests (in alphabetical order):
Aero 1
Aero 2
Engines
FR&R
Nav
Weather
Five of them are pure memorization. No high level concepts you need to wrap your brain around, just memorize the definitions. For nav you actually have to know how to work the problems. It’s nothing complicated, it’s simple math (with a few definitions thrown in) but the math is done on the flight computer. Just make sure you know how to estimate and use the CR-3 (all of this will be taught in class.) For the nav test, make sure you cut your chart the right way. If you cut it wrong there's a good chance one of your points won't be there anymore. Work the problems, ask questions if you have help. For the other tests, memorize. I went through and made sure I could spit out the entire answer word for word for every learning objective. I probably spent 2-4 hours a night studying, that time included being quizzed by my wife. The only gouge I used was a couple of NavyGouge practice tests (which had several wrong answers) and I had an average in the 90’s.
For swimming, just do what they tell you to do. If you’re comfortable in the water, you’ll be fine. The mile swim is not hard, it’s just boring. Thirty-six laps in the pool. I took my time and made full use of the glide and still finished in just over fifty minutes.

Around the end of the third week you’ll get your gear. DON’T be a tool and start wearing your leather jacket the next day. DO make sure you IP your flight suits before you wear them. DON'T forget that even though it is a working uniform you shouldn't be a slob. DO wash those things once in a while.

The last two weeks is pretty easy. You do have a physiology test but it’s pretty simple and there’s a thorough review the day before the test. Physiology and survival were pretty fun. Just try not to get hurt during parachute training. People make the dunker out to be this blood thirsty student-eating machine. It’s not. If you pay attention to what you’re told and apply it in the water, you won’t have any problems. The days you get in the bay if the water is cold, wetsuits are available for you to use. Or bring your own if you don’t like smelling like an asscrack.

Take pictures.

Try not to fail anything.

After API:
Good luck.

Hopefully this will answer at least a couple of questions for some of you.

This is a great post. Does the link below provide current publications?

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/api/api.htm

alawson.223

I read somewhere in this thread that someone was waiting to start API in May 2011. My question is what would one do during that year? If this is a question better suited to another thread please disregard my post and/or guide me to that post. Thank you

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I read somewhere in this thread that someone was waiting to start API in May 2011. My question is what would one do during that year? If this is a question better suited to another thread please disregard my post and/or guide me to that post. Thank you

Drink beer. Get a tan. Try not to get caught up in the stoopid circus. Try to avoid stash jobs. If you have to get stashed, then actively work to get a stash job you want. Like at the museum, or something you only do one day a week, etc..