• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I read somewhere in this thread that someone was waiting to start API in May 2011. My question is what would one do during that year? If this is a question better suited to another thread please disregard my post and/or guide me to that post. Thank you

I had to wait a year from graduation to start AI.
Couple of thoughts:
1) Try to stay at your college as a stash Ensign and work on a Master's Degree. Most schools let the staff take free classes.
2) Find employment outside of P'cola. Look to Recruiting Districts or fleet units and try to get a stash job there. If you are waiting for AI, maybe you can get a stash job at an aviation Wing or Squadron and start your learning about what it takes to be a Naval Officer and pilot/NFO.
3) Ask about doing an IS/GSA assignment. Get the check in the block now since you have nothing else going on. It's an excellent opportunity to learn what the Joint world is like.

Don't be the guy who just sits around and does nothing productive during this time. You have an excellent opportunity to improve yourself, you should take advantage of it.
Don't plan on getting stashed at the museum or the pool for a year. There's lots of folks in P'cola looking for something to do; you will have a better expirience if you find something that interests you and ask for it.
If you're at school talk to your PNS. If you're an OCS guy, then talk to your OR about finding employment prior to API.

I had a year to wait until AI, so I sailed in the Merchant Marine for 3 months and made some fast cash, then I coached H.S. soccer until I reported to CNET to work in the ROTC office for 6 months. (For the record, do NOT work in the ROTC office for 6 months!!!)

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Don't be the guy who just sits around and does nothing productive during this time. You have an excellent opportunity to improve yourself, you should take advantage of it.

I was that guy. I'll never have another 8 months like that again. It was awesome. Myself didn't need improving.:icon_wink

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
uugh...You're making me feel lazy. OK, I went and took a pile of classes at the AF Special Operations School at Hurlburt, and also took the course for everybody going to the CAOC. There are my self improvement checks in the blocks. While I wasn't doing that, I administered piss tests on Tuesdays at noon in the auditorium. Aside from that, it was golf. Alot.

Like I said, do anything to stay away from the stoopid circus. I probably would have gone abroad if I didn't have dogs and a (then) pregnant wife.

alawson.223

Thank you gentlemen for the information and advice. From reading here I've discovered that there is often a substantial wait between TBS and API. I suppose I wanted to hear some of the ways officers have spent that time in waiting be it other training or schools etc. Thanks again.

starkaz7

Someone sent the old API pubs to me (2007...I believe) and the pdfs are all jacked up. Anyone have a better link to them than the one posted?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So what ever happened to the kid that fessed up to breaking in and stealing tests? PMs work if its not appropriate for the forum.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Someone sent the old API pubs to me (2007...I believe) and the pdfs are all jacked up. Anyone have a better link to them than the one posted?

And a lot of the pubs ARE from 2007. they don't update them often. In Aero2 you will find out that the F/A-18D is a "new model". :)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I get there in late August. They told me I probably won't begin actual API until May 2011. That's like a 12 month lease right there.

I wouldn't count on it. We were told something similar and ended up classing up about 4 months in. There isn't much of a C-Pool nowadays either, with people shipping off to Corpus a couple weeks after API is done. Right now, if you're IFS complete you can expect to class up within a few weeks of reporting down here.

Michael2086

Update on API:

NSS (SNA's Only) NSS is 43 right now. but is always changing depending on how the pilots before you do. It is only calculated with other Pilots grades so those NFO Marine, CG, AF ect... who only need an 80 dosn't bring the average down. Sorry
You need a weighted average of 93 MINIMUM!
PRT 6%
Weather 19% (50 min test)
Aero I 15% (50 min test)
Aero II 15% (50 min test)
Engines 15% (50 min test)
Navigation 21% (2 hr 10 min test) HUGE TEST
Flight Rules and Regulations 9%

Current Wait: or lack there of.
If you check in and you are IFS complete, the day you finished check in medical, divolc, NAMI, dental ect.... you will class up. both of my roommates classed up for API within 4 weeks of checking in.