• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

AnonymousGuy

None
Just a quick question...is API like another boot camp?

Do you live offbase? Do you still have free time, or are you in class all day and all evening?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just a quick question...is API like another boot camp?

Do you live offbase? Do you still have free time, or are you in class all day and all evening?

Nothing at all like bootcamp; it is a classroom evolution, with a few swim events thrown in (and some classroom survival stuff at the end). I never knew anyone who lived on base when I was in Pcola, just like I know very few fellow officers in any location I have been who live on base. Plenty of free time, assuming you manage your study time well. I remember class running from approx. 7 am until about 2-3 pm.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
So if API is only 6 weeks long, then how can anyone get an apartment off-base for that short of time?

You're usually in Pensacola for a wee bit more than six weeks, considering the wait to start API and the fact that many get follow on orders to primary flight training at NAS Pensacola or Whiting Field.

Plus, two words: Military Clause.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
I get there in late August. They told me I probably won't begin actual API until May 2011. That's like a 12 month lease right there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's reality. API and A-pool is used by CNATRA as the slap tank for the whole Program. I know it sucks and doesn't seem like it now, but it's better to have one long wait before you start than go through flight training in fits and starts. Ask the T-Notch guys.

The real problem is the whole idle hands, devil's workshop thing.

Talespin

API was a very good experience. Fail 3 Test and your done. On one of the first days of the program one Lt told me that you should study 4-5 hours on the weekday and 8 hrs on the weekend. It was good advice. If you follow this guidance passing is not a problem. You will be a contender for top gun.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
API was a very good experience. Fail 3 Test and your done. On one of the first days of the program one Lt told me that you should study 4-5 hours on the weekday and 8 hrs on the weekend. It was good advice. If you follow this guidance passing is not a problem. You will be a contender for top gun.

I remember this spiel...if you half those hours or even do a third of that, you should get through no problem.
I also remember them saying..."jet guys don't get in the 80s on their exams!"

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I remember this spiel...if you half those hours or even do a third of that, you should get through no problem.
I also remember them saying..."jet guys don't get in the 80s on their exams!"

I listened to their horror stories and studied my ass off for the first aero test, then crushed it. I missed one question that was a stupid question IMO that wound up getting changed later. After that much more slacking off occurred. However, a night of drinking and 20 mins of studying led to an 82 on FRR. Almost an embarrassing mistake.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I listened to their horror stories and studied my ass off for the first aero test, then crushed it. I missed one question that was a stupid question IMO that wound up getting changed later. After that much more slacking off occurred. However, a night of drinking and 20 mins of studying led to an 82 on FRR. Almost an embarrassing mistake.

I was the same way, except it had an opposite effect..I psyched myself out into an 80 on Aero-1 and then figured out the game and did very well on the rest. However, my breast stroke was an abortion so that earned me an extra 2 week stay in API. I side-stroked and "American crawled" my way through the mile swim. I was exhausted.