• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Basic School. Research for Book

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
worst - holding a billet when some dumbass lt turns in a live round during the line out after MOUT fex. It was a long night.

best - meeting some great people who I became really good friends with.

phrogpilot73

Best - Old Town Alexandria, road trips on long weekends, the friends I made, not having to live in the barracks because they were renovating it, riding on helos, urban patrolling at the FBI Academy, leaving Camp Barrett.

Worst - Having to stay for Leatherneck, humps (mainly the 12 miler), D-week, seeing every possible season in one day, cardiac hill, not realizing I brought my "spitter canteen" vice two real canteens until I started running the endurance course for time.

Ken Ross

This is great stuff, and there is a lot of good material here for me to use. What about class room challenges and academic obstacles?

KBayDog

What about class room challenges and academic obstacles?

When I was there in '04:

1. Classroom challenge: Narcolepsy. The only cure for the narcolepsy was to drink the Kool-Aid, which I never have...and never will.
2. Academic obstacles: Random ceiling tiles coming loose and falling, usually on our heads. (This was the most effective cure from the Death by Powerpoint-induced narcolepsy.)

81montedriver

pilot
When I was there in '04:

1. Classroom challenge: Narcolepsy. The only cure for the narcolepsy was to drink the Kool-Aid, which I never have...and never will.
2. Academic obstacles: Random ceiling tiles coming loose and falling, usually on our heads. (This was the most effective cure from the Death by Powerpoint-induced narcolepsy.)

The Narcolepsy was usually combated by one of three things:

1. Coffee
2. Dip
3. Standing up

Not necessarily in that order and sometimes all three at the same time!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The most difficult (and most necessary) part of completing TBS is learning how to handle different personalities. By 'handle' I am not simply implying how to be nice when communicating a plan of action and intent to your peers. That is easy. The difficult part is developing the ability to reach out to a peer who has clearly 'checked-out' and surgically navigating around his sensitivities (e.g., alluding to his lack of mental toughness) to motivate him to accomplish a mission-critical task for the unit.

Correcting peers is hard. At TBS, you are forced to correct your peers systematically (rankings, peer evals, etc) to the point of negatively impacting the unit's cohesiveness. However, the evaluation process drives the retaliatory tendencies, pissing-contest-type out so that by the end of TBS, students have an excellent ability to evaluate peers/systems/ideas objectively without letting personal/comfortable feelings interfere.

Another extremely difficult part of TBS is trying to break students out of their fear of acting without explicit guidelines. OCS shatters self-confidence and individualism. Thus, after OCS, the new officer naturally gravitates towards the group-mentality because he fears correction as a result of doing something wrong. However, our doctrine is built on implicit communication and decentralized execution. TBS is designed (albeit, not perfectly) to bring the self-confidence back that OCS destroyed without the individualism that hinders the team-player mindset required for the job.

That is why the Marine is f'ing better than everyone.

The best part about TBS? Hmm.. "we're not sure, so just standby for now."

So what you're saying is you drank your entire company's share of TBS Kool-Aide?

KBayDog

So what you're saying is you drank your entire company's share of TBS Kool-Aide?

Holy crap - we need to get this guy 15cc's of Anti-Aid....STAT!
KoolAidMan_Fullpic_2.gif

KBayDog

...surgically navigating around his sensitivities...negatively impacting the unit's cohesiveness...Thus, after OCS, the new officer naturally gravitates towards the group-mentality because he fears correction as a result of doing something wrong...our doctrine is built on implicit communication and decentralized execution...individualism that hinders the team-player mindset required for the job...

Yut Yut! Ooh Rah! Devil Dog! Semper Fi!

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
I'm sorry but dtxz is one of the examples of why I have to get the hell away from this place (two more weeks!!!!!).... I value it as important knowledge I may use in the future, but some guys get so wrapped around the axle with this stuff. Please take a step back and explain the why to a situation and you'll be fine dude.... its not mental toughness that causes one to not completely bite in to the shit sandwich that is TBS.... its the fact that its A: not the operating forces B: you are told a million times that this is not the way you'll see it in the fleet (at least frm my SPC). C: I left the enlisted ranks to think, not to drink ten million gallons of koolaid and become a YES man....