• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Teaching T-45 turning rejoins

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ahh, form flying...all I can remember is: "Fuck this shit, these planes are too close together, can we land yet? Knock it off...no seriously sir, that is as close as I am getting to his plane, you will just have to give me a Fair...you have the controls...no, YOU have the controls, if you want to get that close, you can fly the fucking thing, I will be updating my selection preferences with jets AT THE BOTTOM...I have the controls, APPROACH: Vega 21 will be returning as two single ships...Descent checklist please..."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ahh, form flying...all I can remember is: "Fuck this shit, these planes are too close together....

Yeah ... but when you VP-weenies realize that we brought three (3) 747's into the BREAK @ KDFW in tight right echelon parade to pump-up the arrival of the CONCORDE ...

You WILL get 'big airplane' formation religion. It's just another airplane.

Believe it. :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I loved form. I miss it. I was pretty jealous that we had no form flights in Advanced, but i'm pretty sure it's not a skill I'm going to use much in the next few years.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ahh, form flying...all I can remember is: "Fuck this shit, these planes are too close together, can we land yet? Knock it off...no seriously sir, that is as close as I am getting to his plane, you will just have to give me a Fair...you have the controls...no, YOU have the controls, if you want to get that close, you can fly the fucking thing, I will be updating my selection preferences with jets AT THE BOTTOM...I have the controls, APPROACH: Vega 21 will be returning as two single ships...Descent checklist please..."

Yeah yeah... fuck all that FTI bullshit. The way I knew when I was in position? I was UNCOMFORTABLE! As soon as I started sweating, I knew I was in perfect parade. Nevermind helos... even in combat cruise (the closest we get in HTs), I was uncomfortable as FUCK! Normally, sane people try to stay as far away from the big spinny thing.

busdriver

None
I remember trying to learn fingertip (parade I guess) I could never quite get close enough, the hands just refused to do it. I guess I got over it, I've had crew members gripe that I'm inside one rotor diameter, bullshit I say! Have you ever had actual photographic evidence that your idea of one rotor is in fact 2 to 3? I have. Then again when you rarely fly closer than .3 dme, close tends to take on a new meaning.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I loved form. I miss it.

Ditto.

I have to say, I liked flying lead better, though. It's like: what's better than flying an airplane? Flying TWO airplanes.:icon_smil

I was pretty jealous that we had no form flights in Advanced, but i'm pretty sure it's not a skill I'm going to use much in the next few years.
No way, man. Three ship forms, with two engines loitered.

I'm bringin' it back.

1vp8p3_02_21sep2003.jpg

(Picture blatantly stolen from someone else on this forum)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah yeah... fuck all that FTI bullshit. The way I knew when I was in position? I was UNCOMFORTABLE! As soon as I started sweating, I knew I was in perfect parade. Nevermind helos... even in combat cruise (the closest we get in HTs), I was uncomfortable as FUCK! Normally, sane people try to stay as far away from the big spinny thing.

You don't do parade in HTs anymore? Weak. Wait til you do form on NVDs.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, there are some real nancies on here.

"Where do we get such men?"

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Fun with bold font...

Maybe you're doing it wrong?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I just reread this thread and I finally understand it all. I have to say forms has been the best and most fun I've had yet here. I'm hoping to go somewhere where I can keep doing it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just reread this thread and I finally understand it all. I have to say forms has been the best and most fun I've had yet here. I'm hoping to go somewhere where I can keep doing it.
Too bad you can't go out over the Gulf in VT-4 w/ some .50 cal guns and improve on your burgeoning formation skills ...

*sigh* ... the ol' days were sometimes really, really 'worth it' ... even w/out iPhones. :)

HuggyU2

None
Yeah ... but when you VP-weenies realize that we brought three (3) 747's into the BREAK @ KDFW in tight right echelon parade to pump-up the arrival of the CONCORDE ...
You WILL get 'big airplane' formation religion. It's just another airplane.

Did you say formation with a 747??
And take a look at how low Randy gets on his 747 low pass. Nice!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Did you say formation with a 747??
And take a look at how low Randy gets on his 747 low pass. Nice!
Nice, very nice indeed ... but kid stuff. And an 'SP' ??? Lots of power, lots of range -- but no profit (designed when fuel was 'cheap' and can't carry enough pax/cargo ever since the Shah fell to make it work). Either WE owned it or PanAm owned it, much to our mutual chagrin ... :)

I'm talkin' about three (3-- count 'em) big, fat, fuckin' ORANGE Whales comin' into the break in GOOD, semi-tight right echelon-parade @ DFW ... 1980?? Anyway, when the Concorde made its appearance ...

This is when we 'snuggled up' after landing ... :)

biwhales.jpg

*edit* ... and your clip -- that's low ... very low for the pass. It approximates what we did when coming out of an Army field in Kansas, Dorothy, post-Gulf I, while returning the troops to CONUS ... There was a CB impregnated 'shelf' coming over the field behind us that was going to shut us down ... there was no 'tower' ... and
it was my 'leg' and the CAPT was 'civie' trained, so he gave me my 'head' ... lightning hit the side of the runway @ 200 feet in front of us ... I held it down -- RIGHT DOWN on the deck -- while we sucked up the gear/flaps -- and did a very light WHALE-equivalent Immelman at the end of the runway and headed back to home plate. We were very, very light, indeed, which 'helped' ... :icon_wink

HOOOOOAH !!!