• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS swim test (again)

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I got WSQ at boot camp. Did it help me at aircrew school??? NO!!! Whats the point unless you are just a hard chargin motivator.

NapalmRat

Strokes

What strokes are necessary to get 1st class qual? I remember trying to do them at boot camp but didn't do so hot. I'd like to do them this time so i can keep my air contract. Thx

MadDog1967

I'm going second that this is a bit oversimplified. About 2/3 of the Marines attempting at TBS will not pass the strokes on the first try. It's ALL about form in the pool. Once the strokes are down...the rest is pretty easy.

Important to do the strokes the way you are shown by the enlisted instructor.

Recently among the many DQ'd for breast stroke at TBS was an All American in Breast stroke and another 2nd Lt who still holds some VA State records in the stroke. They didn't swim the stroke the USMC way.

Remember as we always used to say, "There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Marine Corps way."

The two Lt's involved were disgusted since some of the worst swimmers were passed off and they weren't because they swam too fast and not the way the appointed experts wanted them to do it.

BOTTOM LINE: Doesn't matter your experience; do it the prescribed way.

MasterHaynes86

lowly enlisted Marines... no no no... I just want to make it clear that Officers are not better, just different...

with that clear (regardless of intended tone) yes they were Fox... I personally think that they are slowly passing people so they can get more one on one time to teach us right because there are so many of us. 11 got past breast stroke the other day out of upwards of 60+ swimmers... I was not one of them...

they might not be wanting to work with us to make us better... they might just fail so many so it doesn't take so long... either way, im gettin lots of remedial time, lots of swim time, and im gettin better each week... so even if those in Echo and Fox are gettin screwed, it works out for us better in the long run...

stay for the entire remedial time, try your hardest, and things will work out. There is a Lt that is air contracted that hasn't gotten his WS1 that was in Bravo and they graduated... his efforts to get it have afforded him the oppurtunity to continue to attempt to qualify before being sent to pensacola...

oorah