• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS swim test (again)

flyerstud4

I know there was some discussion about the swim test at TBS last month, but i had one more question. After finishing swim quals through first class, do you also have to do the WSQ test? thanks Semper Fi

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
WSQ was optional for us... some motivated individuals elected to do it. The vast majority did not.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
What Marine Corps swim qual (4,3,2,1,or WSQ) should we strive for prior to Pensacola in order to excel during the API swim qual? As far as difficulty goes, how do the two stack up?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
What Marine Corps swim qual (4,3,2,1,or WSQ) should we strive for prior to Pensacola in order to excel during the API swim qual? As far as difficulty goes, how do the two stack up?

Well you have to get qual'd 1 so that would be a good goal...I thought the one in Pcola was easier but that may just be me...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Don't screw it up. This will be the standard by which your entire performance in flight school will be judged, probably your first fleet tour as well. ;)

Brett

Crowbar

None

Obviously you have to be at least first class. The most important thing, though, is to be comfortable in the water. Some people gut out 1 or Q but they hate it and are just itching to get out of the pool the whole time. I've been CWSQ for years and it was really transparent once I got to API. If you hate the water, it will be harder, but just listen to what the instructors tell you and do it. Don't panic in the water.

RyanVR

The rescues you do in WS1 are easily harder than anything you will do at API in the pool.

I did WSQ for the hell of it and because i'll only have to requal every whatever years (is it 5 or 6? i forget). If i remember correctly, it could help you with your overall confidence and treading ability in the water if you are having problems as most of WSQ is endurance related (30 min tread, the distance surface fire/oil swim, etc).

In general, don't worry about it, it's easy.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
What does WSQ stand for, and what does it consist of?

RyanVR

I believe it stands for Water Survival Qualified or something similar, it is one step after CWS1 and a step below CWSS

here is some random info i found by googling WSQ + Marine Corps
It is apparently from 2001 so it's no doubt outdated, for instance we did not do the thing with the brick and we got out of the pool between the 30 minute tread and the 500m swim due to the # of Lts (another group had to do the tread).

and then we went to our mess night after we got qual'ed haha.
good times

------------------
e. Water Survival Qualified (WSQ). Marine must have completed CWS1. WSQ
is the ultimate water survival goal of all Marines. Once attained, re
-qualification will be required every six years. This is the required skill
level for MOSs 8652 (Reconnaissance Man, Parachute Jump Qualified), 8653
(Reconnaissance Man, SCUBA Qualified), 8654 (Reconnaissance Man,
Parachute/SCUBA Qualified), 9952 (SCUBA Marine) 9953 (Parachutist/SCUBA
Marine), and 9962 (Parachutist Officer/Enlisted) when filling a valid jump
billet. The following are techniques performed in executing WSQ
qualifications:

(1) Using abandon ship technique, while in full combat gear with rifle
at inverted sling arms, enter water from a height greater than eight feet and
less than 15 feet. Surface, release pack from shoulders, place rifle on top of
pack at the ready, scanning from side to side, travel 50m to the edge of the
pool. Stage pack and gear at the end of the pool. Re-enter water and move
back to deep end of pool. With utilities and boots only while in deep water
and without exiting, tread water or survival float for 30 minutes without
artificial floatation. Boots will be removed and retained after 5 minutes.
Five minutes prior to the completion of the 30 minutes afloat, and without
exiting from the water, replace the boots and swim 500m using one or any
combination of the three survival strokes.

MCO 1500.52B
17 Apr 2001

(2) Traverse back to deep end of pool, without exiting, begin treading
water. Remove and retain boots. Remove trousers and make trouser floatation.
Remain motionless for one minute. While in deep water, put trousers and boots
back on and swim to the edge of the pool. (Ensure all personnel have the
required undergarments before conducting training.)

(3) Re-enter pool at the deep end wearing utilities and boots, travel
25m with a 10 lbs brick utilizing a lifesaving stroke. The brick must remain
in one hand and remain out of the water at all times.

IRfly

None
The rescues you do in WS1 are easily harder than anything you will do at API in the pool.

I did WSQ for the hell of it and because i'll only have to requal every whatever years (is it 5 or 6? i forget). If i remember correctly, it could help you with your overall confidence and treading ability in the water if you are having problems as most of WSQ is endurance related (30 min tread, the distance surface fire/oil swim, etc).

In general, don't worry about it, it's easy.

That sounds so incredibly boring. At least during the mile swim at API, you had the whole "fight for my life and lane" thing to keep you occupied. But I guess you could gab while you treaded to help the time pass.

To get ready for API...
Also, I second what was said about being comfortable in the water. Make sure you can do the strokes nice and pretty. I would add that you should try to build up SOME endurance--at least be able to swim 1/4 mile continuously. If the instructors decide that you are deficient in a certain skill (including endurance) or if you can't pass an evolution it's no big deal from a pipeline point of view--but from a personal point of view it will suck for you because you'll have to swim from 1530-1630 every day until you're caught up to where you should be. So on some days when we all left at 1200 or 1300 from API, some guys had to stay for EI. Not fun. So it's worth working on as much as you can ahead of time, before you have an exam the next day.

flyerstud4

bon_jovi said:
CWS 1 was all that was needed a few weeks ago with Alpha. It's really easy, they walk you through it.

haha dont let Bon fool ya though. I passed on my first try and got first class, but about half the company failed it and that means anyone who is Air will have to remedial for the next 6 months until they pass. Im in Alpha right now, what Plt are you in Bon?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
bon_jovi said:
CWS 1 was all that was needed a few weeks ago with Alpha. It's really easy, they walk you through it.

I'm going second that this is a bit oversimplified. About 2/3 of the Marines attempting at TBS will not pass the strokes on the first try. It's ALL about form in the pool. Once the strokes are down...the rest is pretty easy.