• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos

mb1685

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but does anyone such as @RUFiO181 or maybe @National OPO know if there has been a change in the criteria for tattoo waivers?

I was doing some Google searching for more discussions about tattoo waivers and I saw the official Navy website's page about the tattoo policy come up: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ns/chapter2/Pages/2201PersonalAppearance.aspx

I've read the regs many, many times but I noticed in the search results that it says "6 days ago", and sure enough the bottom of the page says "Updated 5/9/2014 7:31 AM". The part that worries me is I'm about 95% sure I remember the tattoo section having a sentence along the lines of "Tattoos are waiverable provided they do not violate the content or location criteria". Now I don't see anything like that and I don't see anything pertaining to tattoo waivers at all in the reg. Is NRD perhaps doing away with tattoo waivers completely?

mb1685

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but does anyone such as @RUFiO181 or maybe @National OPO know if there has been a change in the criteria for tattoo waivers?

I was doing some Google searching for more discussions about tattoo waivers and I saw the official Navy website's page about the tattoo policy come up: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ns/chapter2/Pages/2201PersonalAppearance.aspx

I've read the regs many, many times but I noticed in the search results that it says "6 days ago", and sure enough the bottom of the page says "Updated 5/9/2014 7:31 AM". The part that worries me is I'm about 95% sure I remember the tattoo section having a sentence along the lines of "Tattoos are waiverable provided they do not violate the content or location criteria". Now I don't see anything like that and I don't see anything pertaining to tattoo waivers at all in the reg. Is NRD perhaps doing away with tattoo waivers completely?

Just used the "Wayback Machine" at web.archive.org and found a version of that page archived from 18 Oct 2013...indeed it had the sentence I was thinking of in the "Size" section, and it's nowhere to be found on the current version of the page. That doesn't sound good. :(

mb1685

The page was updated again today and now that sentence is back! Strange, but now I'm (a little) relieved.

Michael Andrew

So here's my situation. I've always wanted to be in the military. I wanted to join out of high school but it didn't work out. I ended up getting 2 degrees from the University of Miami. I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and Philosophy (yeah, I majored in what I enjoyed.) Anyways, I'm interested in applying for Navy OCS. I have a lot of tattoo's. I have 2 half sleeves on each arm, and a chest piece that runs right below my sternum and clavicle. My GPA is about a 3.2. Should I even bother applying?

mb1685

So here's my situation. I've always wanted to be in the military. I wanted to join out of high school but it didn't work out. I ended up getting 2 degrees from the University of Miami. I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and Philosophy (yeah, I majored in what I enjoyed.) Anyways, I'm interested in applying for Navy OCS. I have a lot of tattoo's. I have 2 half sleeves on each arm, and a chest piece that runs right below my sternum and clavicle. My GPA is about a 3.2. Should I even bother applying?

If you really want it then of course you should apply. Not trying isn't going to do you any good.

The tattoo waiver will be up to the CO of your NRD (or another person designated). I have two tattoos, one of which takes up most of my forearm and violates size criteria. I was expecting for it to be a big issue, but I had a less than 5 minute conversation explaining what it meant and got the waiver approved without any issues. I used to stress about it a lot, thinking it would be a showstopper (as you can see in my old posts in this thread), but it turned out to be a quick and easy ordeal.

I know they won't budge on tattoos on the neck and head, but I'd imagine they consider the clavicle to be the start of the neck, so if it doesn't extend past there then you may be alright. I'd tell your recruiter about it and he may try to knock out the waiver at the beginning of the process (although mine still had me take the ASTB and go to MEPS first to see if I'm eligible and competitive).

exNavyOffRec

I would agree with the above post, and here is a question if you are in a plain white t-shirt how much of the tattoo is visible?

It also depends what the CO's, and above views are, my NRD had a person that needed a waiver and it was denied, not because of the CO but because NRC had in a conference call said if it didn't meet waiver size criteria he wouldn't give the final ok, I now believe the ok fully rest with the CO, so one CO may say ok and another may not.

Michael Andrew

If you really want it then of course you should apply. Not trying isn't going to do you any good.

The tattoo waiver will be up to the CO of your NRD (or another person designated). I have two tattoos, one of which takes up most of my forearm and violates size criteria. I was expecting for it to be a big issue, but I had a less than 5 minute conversation explaining what it meant and got the waiver approved without any issues. I used to stress about it a lot, thinking it would be a showstopper (as you can see in my old posts in this thread), but it turned out to be a quick and easy ordeal.

I know they won't budge on tattoos on the neck and head, but I'd imagine they consider the clavicle to be the start of the neck, so if it doesn't extend past there then you may be alright. I'd tell your recruiter about it and he may try to knock out the waiver at the beginning of the process (although mine still had me take the ASTB and go to MEPS first to see if I'm eligible and competitive).

Thanks a lot for the advise. I highly doubt you would be able to see any portion of the chest tattoo while wearing a white t-shirt unless it was really thin. I've only spoken to a recruiter over the phone about the 2 half sleeves. He said he would try and get a waiver for them, but I didn't mention the chest piece because I thought it would be okay because it can be easily covered with a t-shirt. I knew you couldn't have a tattoo on the neck but I wasn't thinking about the tattoo being seen wearing a V-neck. I would like to somehow show the recruiter all my tattoo's before we proceed with the test and application. I would hate to take the test and waste the guys time if there's a slim chance of me getting in because of my ink. Maybe I can upload some photos and you guys can tell me what you think.

Attachments

• chest piece.jpg
    chest piece.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 23
  • quartersleeve.jpg
    quartersleeve.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 22
  • half sleeve.jpg
    half sleeve.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22