• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was told that as long as they couldn't be seen in uniform it would be a non issue. Is that not accurate? My legs and torso are covered.
Enforcement of written guidance regarding tattoos, like many other 'guidelines' in the application process, seems to run in strict/lenient cycles. All you can do is build the best package you can, follow the prevailing guidelines (waiver req., photos, etc.), submit, and cross your fingers. Nothing is guaranteed!:confused:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

I have also seen this instruction many times, and was told by MEPS as well the the recruiting command that I do not violate this instruction as it does not say anything about legs. Also, my wavers were approved and from what my processor informed me this morning, my pictures do not go to board and my tattoo wavers have been deemed complete. I fully understand how long, with all this, I may still be deemed unfit because of tattoos I got while in the Navy. I like everyone else, am just playing the waiting game until the next board to get an official word.

MEPS has nothing at all to do with any tattoo waivers.

yes the CO of the NRD signs off on waivers, but every tattoo is supposed to have a picture associated with it, and NRC can and has requested to see the pictures if they have any questions, like I said this is a subject that has flipped back and forth, I have however never seen anyone with a full sleeve or tattoos on legs go to OCS, not saying it hasn't happened or that you couldn't be one of those that ends up going, but everything that requires extra paperwork brings in doubt.

John Gil

It looks like NRC now wants anything of question submitted to them for approval and before I believe it used to say "approval signature" but now it doesn't.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PDF FORMS/1130_104(03-2013).pdf
This is the form I had submitted. My OR and processor told me today that it was approved and would only be seen as '' completed and approved '' at the board. Again, being prior service, I know that information dissemination can vary greatly. I appreciate your advise and knowledge NavyOffRec.

bluemarlin04

I have a full rib piece from my hip to my arm pit. A full half sleeve, inside the arm fully covered and no skin showing, Tattoo from my knee cap down to my shin, a full chest piece and a shoulder tattoo. Can be seen in khakis from the side. The half sleeve goes all the way down to my elbow on the underside.

I didn't have to submit pictures but this was last year. As far as I know none of my tattoos are or have ever been in my service record. I was in the reserves for 8 years before I comissioned active. Not sure if my prior service made a difference, maybe, maybe not.

I have heard from numerous people that a tattoo that can be seen in khakis will affect your promotion to LCDR because it will show in your picture.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Random question to resurrect the tattoo thread. What is current Navy policy on tattoos that are not visible in any uniform that are obtained following commissioning? Do they need to be photographed and added to records at some point or no?

exNavyOffRec

Random question to resurrect the tattoo thread. What is current Navy policy on tattoos that are not visible in any uniform that are obtained following commissioning? Do they need to be photographed and added to records at some point or no?

The best thing is to read the statement you will sign

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
The policy is still as stated above.

7. TATTOOS/BODY ART/BRANDS. Four Criteria will be used to determine whether tattoos/body art/brands are permitted for Navy personnel: content, location, size and cosmetic.

a. Content. Tattoos/body art/brands located anywhere on the body that are prejudicial to good order, discipline, and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the naval service are prohibited. For example, tattoos/body art/brands that are obscene, sexually explicit, and or advocate discrimination based on sex, race, religion, ethnic, or national origin are prohibited. In addition, tattoos/body art/brands that symbolize affiliation with gangs, supremacist or extremist groups, or advocate illegal drug use are prohibited.

b. Location. No tattoos/body art/brands on the head, face, neck, or scalp. The neck area for purposes of this regulation is any portion visible when wearing a crew neck T-shirt or open collar uniform shirt. In addition, otherwise permissible tattoos/body art/brands on the torso area of the body shall not be visible through white uniform clothing.

c. Size. Individual tattoos/body art/brands exposed by wearing a short sleeve uniform shirt shall be no larger in size than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined with the thumb touching the base of the index finger. Tattoos/body art/brands that exceed size criteria are waiverable provided they do not violate the content and/or location criteria.

d. Cosmetic. This regulation does not prohibit cosmetic tattooing to correct medical conditions requiring such treatment. For the purpose of this regulation, cosmetic tattooing refers to medical or surgical procedures conducted by licensed, qualified medical personnel.
Four Criteria will be used to determine whether tattoos/body art/brands are permitted for Navy personnel: content, location, size and cosmetic.

I have multiple tattoos that are not annotated anywhere in my service records besides my medical in "identifying marks"(scars, tattoos, birth marks etc.)

For the package I just had to submit the same form as those civilians applying

For those concerned that may be putting in a package. I have my whole front left torso pretty well tattooed, one on my back/shoulder area, and my left arm which is partially exposed. I have been told that it could hamper advancement in the O pipeline but I will do what I must and bridge that gap if it ever arrises.

For those tattoos obtained on active duty, no one will know you have them unless you either show them, it is seen in PT gear, or medical personnel annotate it.

exNavyOffRec

The policy is still as stated above.

7. TATTOOS/BODY ART/BRANDS. Four Criteria will be used to determine whether tattoos/body art/brands are permitted for Navy personnel: content, location, size and cosmetic.

a. Content. Tattoos/body art/brands located anywhere on the body that are prejudicial to good order, discipline, and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the naval service are prohibited. For example, tattoos/body art/brands that are obscene, sexually explicit, and or advocate discrimination based on sex, race, religion, ethnic, or national origin are prohibited. In addition, tattoos/body art/brands that symbolize affiliation with gangs, supremacist or extremist groups, or advocate illegal drug use are prohibited.

b. Location. No tattoos/body art/brands on the head, face, neck, or scalp. The neck area for purposes of this regulation is any portion visible when wearing a crew neck T-shirt or open collar uniform shirt. In addition, otherwise permissible tattoos/body art/brands on the torso area of the body shall not be visible through white uniform clothing.

c. Size. Individual tattoos/body art/brands exposed by wearing a short sleeve uniform shirt shall be no larger in size than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined with the thumb touching the base of the index finger. Tattoos/body art/brands that exceed size criteria are waiverable provided they do not violate the content and/or location criteria.

d. Cosmetic. This regulation does not prohibit cosmetic tattooing to correct medical conditions requiring such treatment. For the purpose of this regulation, cosmetic tattooing refers to medical or surgical procedures conducted by licensed, qualified medical personnel.
Four Criteria will be used to determine whether tattoos/body art/brands are permitted for Navy personnel: content, location, size and cosmetic.

I have multiple tattoos that are not annotated anywhere in my service records besides my medical in "identifying marks"(scars, tattoos, birth marks etc.)

For the package I just had to submit the same form as those civilians applying

For those concerned that may be putting in a package. I have my whole front left torso pretty well tattooed, one on my back/shoulder area, and my left arm which is partially exposed. I have been told that it could hamper advancement in the O pipeline but I will do what I must and bridge that gap if it ever arrises.

For those tattoos obtained on active duty, no one will know you have them unless you either show them, it is seen in PT gear, or medical personnel annotate it.

For those going to OCS there is an additional piece of paperwork that says the candidate will not obtain any tattoos prior to going to OCS, not sure if ODS people sign the same thing

Napper

Diggin' the PNW
pilot
FWIW our Navy ensign class leader in API had a full sleeve, if not two. He was prior enlisted and a great guy.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
To add to the FWIW, there was a guy in my OCS class with a spinal cord tattoo going up his neck onto the back of his head. He was a prior chief going PAO. In the six months I was up in Newport, I saw plenty of tattoos on the forearms, especially once sleeve rolling on NWUs came into season. No idea how many of those folks were priors, YMMV.

exNavyOffRec

To add to the FWIW, there was a guy in my OCS class with a spinal cord tattoo going up his neck onto the back of his head. He was a prior chief going PAO. In the six months I was up in Newport, I saw plenty of tattoos on the forearms, especially once sleeve rolling on NWUs came into season. No idea how many of those folks were priors, YMMV.

I think my friend knows him, they were both MCC's together, though I didn't know the one picked up for OCS, my friend made a comment when looking at results one year "hey I know that guy", the year before I think one that was picked up was a MCCS

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor

I remember seeing that guy in my first week, back in the old Nimitz with the communal bathrooms. That tattoo was so bad-ass.
And a lot of guys in my class had tattoos too. We had like 19 priors, and several of them had tattoos on their upper arms; short sleeves covered most of them, but they were still partly visible when they wore their khakis.

mb1685

I (finally) graduated college and I'm excited as ever to put together a package for OCS. However, I have a tattoo that takes up most of the upper side of one of my forearms (which I'm kicking myself about, of course - not because of the meaning (it really does have some significant personal meaning), but because I know it's going to make my chances slimmer). I noticed that the tattoo waiver request form also asks about tattoos that were removed. If the removal turns out very well and is imperceptible, does anyone, such as maybe NavyOffRec, know if it's still a pretty detrimental factor to have to check "yes" in line 3 even if the removal has made it look like it wasn't even there (best case scenario and not guaranteed, I know)? Of course, I'd check it anyway for the sake of honesty (plus I'm sure it would be easy to track down photos of me with visible tattoos), but I'm wondering if even a good removal is still a significant drawback.

On that note, I'm 24, so I know I've got a little bit of time, but not a whole lot. Because of that, I figure if I don't get picked up, I've still got time to apply at least one more time...maybe two. I definitely would be happy to get the tattoo removed to increase my chances, but I also would like to get the ball rolling soon. If I apply and the tattoo waiver gets denied, then I get it removed and apply another time (and still have to put in for a waiver because of the removal question, I know), is it going to be a big drawback? Or am I better off getting it removed BEFORE applying for the first time? The reason I ask is that getting it removed is probably going to delay me for a very long time due to acquiring the money to do so and because I know the treatments need to be spread out. But if having it removed from the get-go is a safer option, I'd be glad to wait.