• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos

exNavyOffRec

I (finally) graduated college and I'm excited as ever to put together a package for OCS. However, I have a tattoo that takes up most of the upper side of one of my forearms (which I'm kicking myself about, of course - not because of the meaning (it really does have some significant personal meaning), but because I know it's going to make my chances slimmer). I noticed that the tattoo waiver request form also asks about tattoos that were removed. If the removal turns out very well and is imperceptible, does anyone, such as maybe NavyOffRec, know if it's still a pretty detrimental factor to have to check "yes" in line 3 even if the removal has made it look like it wasn't even there (best case scenario and not guaranteed, I know)? Of course, I'd check it anyway for the sake of honesty (plus I'm sure it would be easy to track down photos of me with visible tattoos), but I'm wondering if even a good removal is still a significant drawback.

On that note, I'm 24, so I know I've got a little bit of time, but not a whole lot. Because of that, I figure if I don't get picked up, I've still got time to apply at least one more time...maybe two. I definitely would be happy to get the tattoo removed to increase my chances, but I also would like to get the ball rolling soon. If I apply and the tattoo waiver gets denied, then I get it removed and apply another time (and still have to put in for a waiver because of the removal question, I know), is it going to be a big drawback? Or am I better off getting it removed BEFORE applying for the first time? The reason I ask is that getting it removed is probably going to delay me for a very long time due to acquiring the money to do so and because I know the treatments need to be spread out. But if having it removed from the get-go is a safer option, I'd be glad to wait.

See if the NRD CO will waive it, to be honest we don't know much about you, the tattoo could be the biggest worry or not depending on your degree, GPA, ASTB, etc....

mb1685

See if the NRD CO will waive it, to be honest we don't know much about you, the tattoo could be the biggest worry or not depending on your degree, GPA, ASTB, etc....

Wilco. That's what I'll probably end up doing, since I'm really anxious to get things rolling. I know that the whole package matters, I was just wondering if in general, and the package being solid otherwise, getting denied a waiver and trying again after getting it removed would make me look more unfavorable than just having it removed from the start (all other things being equal).

exNavyOffRec

Wilco. That's what I'll probably end up doing, since I'm really anxious to get things rolling. I know that the whole package matters, I was just wondering if in general, and the package being solid otherwise, getting denied a waiver and trying again after getting it removed would make me look more unfavorable than just having it removed from the start (all other things being equal).

I don't think that would be an issue, you should be able to get the tattoo waiver run fairly quick so you know.

John Gil

[quot="MIchael Valcke, post: 759249, member: 42544"]What is the tattoo screening process AT OCS. Do they just verbally verify, or do they have you strip naked and inspect you?[/quote]
When I went through in June, no one said anything about mine or verified mine after the waver got approved, and I have my legs sleeves, torso sleeved, and a half sleeve. I was really worried and it was never an issue.

MIchael Valcke

I assume you're a prior... I submitted my package..never heard anything about my tattoos. I'm scheduled for the Dec 8th class. Are you saying that once you got to RI, you never heard a word about tattoos? A buddy of mine told me they verify it, or ask you about your tattoos.

John Gil

I assume you're a prior... I submitted my package..never heard anything about my tattoos. I'm scheduled for the Dec 8th class. Are you saying that once you got to RI, you never heard a word about tattoos? A buddy of mine told me they verify it, or ask you about your tattoos.
Yeah, prior. I didn't talk to anyone about mine until I got down to api and that was just a '' oh you have tattoos, let me make sure they aren' naked ladies or rackst''. In ocs I was really worried about being sent back for mine, but literally can't remember talking to anyone about it. Maybe they did verify it, but the first week is a blur anyway. Once you get there, no one cares.

John Gil

te="MIchael Valcke, post: 759260, member: 42544"]What's API? I definitely have two pinup girls on my legs...they are not naked though[/quote]
Don't worry about it. Api is for aviation, I'm an aspiring NFO. Just be respectful to all the docs, remember how the navy works, and worst case they get covered one day.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
API is aviation preflight indoc

My skipper asked me about mine since they come below a short sleeve shirt but from what I have gathered unless you have something glaringly obscene that gets picked up on by medical or a DI/RDC you are good.

What is it you have that you are worried about if you don't mind me asking?

afwx

Booyahkah
In OCS, nobody gives a crap about your tattoos at all. As long as you get passed the recruiter, you are golden. I just completed OCS a few weeks back and nobody cared about mine at all except to inquiry about them. I had a chief stop me in the galley, told me to roll up my sleeve, then asked if I was a prior. I said yes, he said right on and to carry on. I had another walk passed me one day, stop, walk backwards, and told me to pull up my sleeves so I obliged. He said my tattoos were bad ass and asked me if I had a pig and rooster on my feet. I said not yet, he said fucking alright and walked away. Fun fact though, there was a ENS who is a Chaps and had 2 full sleeves down to his wrists, and ink coming out of the collar of his shirt up his neck. There was also a dentist or something like that who had two full sleeves on his arms and legs. Ink at OTCN is a non issue.

MIchael Valcke

Yeah, that's my only concern. I'm not sure I would say the pinups are suggestive.. but they have skimpy clothes. The one has her arms covering her breasts and she is on an angle so that you can't see any private parts on her bottom half. If I need to get some clothes tattood on her I will, my brother is a tattoos artist.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
What is the profile of this picture? Just one from head on? Just curious because my tattoo is on right above my elbow area and only visible from behind.