• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
just to clear what i was saying,, if there were 3 studs with jet grades when you select and only 2 jets slots and 1 E2 slot, and you had the "low jet score", so you got the E2 slot in the bunch, you could bring your score up and show your stuff and get fighters in the end with the new system.

okay, that makes sense

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
just to clear what i was saying,, if there were 3 studs with jet grades when you select and only 2 jets slots and 1 E2 slot, and you had the "low jet score", so you got the E2 slot in the bunch, you could bring your score up and show your stuff and get fighters in the end with the new system.

But that also assumes, as mentioned previously in this thread, that quality spread will not play a role. Who is to say that the top guy from phase 1 won't end up in the E2/C2 pipeline (and if he does, he should definitely fly CODs since he'll more than likely have his first pick upon reporting to the rag)?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old system:
End of primary: select Maritime, Helo, E2/C2, Jets.

New system:
End of primary: select Maritime, Helo, Tailhook.
End of Tailhook Phase I: select E2/C2, or Jets.
Is E-6 considered maritime or a category of its own?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I understand what you're saying, but it took me 10 times to read through to figure it out.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Fairly certain that E-6 is its own category...they go train with the Airforce instead of going to -31 or -35 here in Corpus.

phrogpilot73

The only dudes that get screwed IMO is the helo guys.. Treated by Jet AND Prop guys like a lesser and then the civilian market for those dudes blows!!!
Thanks. At least I'm not the only one that notices we occasionally get treated like the retarded half-cousin. Although the pay is not as good in the civilian helo world, it is surprisingly more stable than the regional/majors are right now. Of course, that could change...

I'll never forget the look on the less than plesant stu-con lady's face when in complete seriousness I told her my first choice was Blimps. And the IP behind her trying as hard as he could not to fall on the floor laughing.
My buddy's selection card read "1. Space Shuttle, 2. SR-71, 3. Helos" the squadron CO played along and told him that his first two choices' pipelines were full and he'd have to settle for Helos.

I didn't know the Navy flew E-6s. That's cool. Also, what are CODs?
Yup, my buddy (an S-3 guy) is now transitioning. COD = Carrier Onboard Delivery, A.K.A. - Scam Artists.

thebluto

pilot
None
Helos are definitely not the end of the world. I've seen scads of helo bubbas transition to FTS (formerly known as TAR) flying C-9s, 737s, Gulfstreams, etc, and then go to the top of the stack at the majors (some with a free type rating to SWA).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My buddy's selection card read "1. Space Shuttle, 2. SR-71, 3. Helos" the squadron CO played along and told him that his first two choices' pipelines were full and he'd have to settle for Helos.

I remember that. Was that Boudry or Hinson?

Circle K

pilot
Helos are definitely not the end of the world. I've seen scads of helo bubbas transition to FTS (formerly known as TAR) flying C-9s, 737s, Gulfstreams, etc, and then go to the top of the stack at the majors (some with a free type rating to SWA).

Interesting, there was a post, can't find it right now, that said FTS, reserves, etc did not have the money to re-train helo guys to fly VR. Once a helo pilot, always a helo pilot, unless you're a Master.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Interesting, there was a post, can't find it right now, that said FTS, reserves, etc did not have the money to re-train helo guys to fly VR. Once a helo pilot, always a helo pilot, unless you're a Master.
The 2 SELRES former helo now VR pilots I knew received their transition training at their Reserve squadron. No training command involvement at all. This was about 5 years ago. One is now flying 737s in the reserves and both helos and P-3s for Customs.

thebluto

pilot
None
I've seen it (helo to VR FTS) happen in the last 2 to 3 years. I've known a bunch that have left T-34s as instructors and gone straight to C-130, C-9, C-20, C-40 in VR. They actually had better luck than P-3 guys at getting VR FTS. VR SELRES is probably even easier for helo guys to get than FTS, and then you can apply for FTS from SELRES.

Plus, I've seen helo bubbas get KC-135s in AF Reserve and Guard.

Getting helos is not the kiss of death.

I'm unaware of any new policy, but I'm not completely in that loop.