• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
does the aircraft need 4k feet for regulations or performance requirements? i would hope the plane could t/o and land in less than that. anyone know the actual t/o and landing distances?

It can... but standard is 4k normal ops, 3k in emergencies. Remember... lots of factors go into that.. not just what the plane is capable of. You have pilot ability, environmental factors etc etc...

Heloanjin

pilot
What was the reasoning for not having Beta? Or was it just Air Force?

The story I got was it was $'s. The AF and USN struggled to agree on an airframe (the AF wanted a jet), and it wasn't worth the fight to get an agreement to put beta on it.

Beta is a minor loss. Nice aircraft, but it burns a lot of gas down low. Who cares if you can only fit 4 in the pattern. No one will be able to do landings very long, so there won't be much of a line to get into one of the four fields that can take them (Barin, Evergreen, Choctaw, and Brewton).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
How is the progress of replacing the T-34 coming along? Do any squadrons in Pensacola operate this aircraft yet? When is the T-6 "supposed" to be the sole Navy primary trainer?

I know I'm late to this party but...

After, after...
moblog_7783cc77d33ae.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thems the rules. For a RDO, more than 6 is a handful and 8 gets to be a real challenge. Add to that a faster airplane and everyone having to adjust their pattern makes for even more fun.

Thems the rules. For a RDO, more than 6 is a handful and 8 gets to be a real challenge. Add to that a faster airplane and everyone having to adjust their pattern makes for even more fun.

Roga.

We do a dozen in the pattern here at Vance, but it's a tag-team event: two IP's controlling and two students recording and wheel-watching. Still a bit of a sh!t show on the days the pattern's saturated, though. Not to mention there's no adjusting the size of it.

-jai5w4

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
^^^And you guys are doing the AF double pattern thing, too, right?

The story I heard was after the AF lost the fight for a jet, and lost the fight to change the oil system (they didn't like something about it), they refused to budge on beta. Guess they got tired of losing and put their foot down on something that, to me, makes a ton of sense. Go figure.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Can the T-6 not cruise at 180kias? Why the need for new course rules?

Of course it can, but why? Trust me, from an IP's standpoint, 180KTS is painfully slow. Leave that slow flying to the instrument pattern.
As for being on the transition board, I did sit on a board with CNATRA in a VTC, but that was a one time deal. The only things that came out of that are:
Yes, we are getting it.
It will be on line (first class flying it) in early 2009.
It will have a MFD based glass cockpit and a HUD.
The landing gear/brakes issue is a hot item for fixing right now.
There are still lots of kinks to work out at Whiting wrt split field ops, OLF's, and the whole transition.
Some suggestions that I have heard (unconfirmed) are:
Area 2 will be the T-6 area once we have enough of them, T-34's will fly in A1 until they are gone.
Eventually Saufley will open back up and we will have Barin and Saufley as the OLF's. (that one sounds like it may make sense, plus with all the phat houses going up around Silverhill, I can't imagine it will be too long before the noise nazis start complaining)

The South Field idea that someone mentioned above is interesting, but I can't imagine a more horrible logistical nightmare, I am betting that we will simply end split field ops and that NSE will be used primarily for takeoffs and full stops only (much like now).
Anyway, I am excited for the students and IP's who get to fly it. It is a hell of an improvement (mainly in speed and egress capability), although the Wiener will be missed. It will be interesting to see students having to think at 200KTS+, but in a good way.
I HIGHLY doubt that I will ever fly it unless I decide to go FTS, but you never know.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, Bubba apparently is as familiar with our CR as his (former) IPs. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've been cutoff more than once on the rules by a T-6. It's 3500'.