• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So what does that leave? I have NEVER seen a T-6 in the pattern in any of the working areas, never even heard anyone mention seeing them either.

I'm sure writing a new FTI and course rules will be fun....

And how long have you been around? They're a regular occurrence at Barin and Silverhill and occasionally stop by 12J and GZH.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
And how long have you been around? They're a regular occurrence at Barin and Silverhill and occasionally stop by 12J and GZH.

Caught, been here since Feb. Asked around about T-6s/T-34s in the pattern and haven't heard of anyone doing it. Seen them transit the area many times though.

So when you mention those 4 fields, they can all support the T-6 for pattern work?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All except for Silverhill. Wait a minute, you should know that, it's in your FWOP!!! <smiles in effect>

They do come into Silverhill, but only when no one else is around and they can't land.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
So what does that leave? I have NEVER seen a T-6 in the pattern in any of the working areas, never even heard anyone mention seeing them either.

Choctaw, PQL, MOB, BFM, MVC, Barin mostly. We couldn't land at Silverhill or Summerdale... T-6 needs 4k... and even that seems a little short.

We only do local work for a few flights, then it is on to instruments... going all over. What I would be more interested in... will they put a TACAN in the T-6B? or will they convert Whiting to a vortac? Will they use bigger tires on the B?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I'm sure writing a new FTI and course rules will be fun....

You should probably look around more then. I was at Barin with one the other day. Though not used a lot, I've been in the pattern with them at Choctaw as well (that airfield makes sense of course).

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Landing was my real question I guess, that clears it up some.

Choctaw makes sense of course, never seen area 3 though.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That would be interesting. They'd need to make the taxi speed more than 10 knots though. :) I've heard similar things about the FITU...a buddy of mine is looking at becoming one of the stand ups. Bunk, you'll probably be gone by then, but I'll be over there shortly. Guess I'll have to ask around.

I hope E6B stops by and adds some info, since he's on the "board" for T-6 integration. I don't think A-292's size is that big a deal, nor are the CR. But only having 4 A/C in the pattern is going to kill the ability to get anything done at an OLF, especially w/ solos needing to get in.

I'm just about done with the FITU, probably finish up the 2nd week of May. That will put me at 16 weeks, which is 2 weeks under their timeline so they are pushing for that.

I'm sure there are many folks who would like to be a part of that action. I'm very new so that's a downfall in terms of IP experience but good for longevity. So who knows who they take. I could use the Saudi excuse that we need to change our NETSAFA program as well and the Saudias are asking about it, they want the newest plane for whatever reason........but I doubt anyone will buy it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A true glass cockpit? or the same as the A, which is analog gauges presented on LCDs. Who puts an analog fuel gauge on an LCD screen... so small that you're lucky if you can guess within about 20lbs? Only the Air Force....

Supposed to be true glass cockpit. There are other differences as well but the glass cockpit and hud are the two big differences.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We only do local work for a few flights, then it is on to instruments... going all over. What I would be more interested in... will they put a TACAN in the T-6B? or will they convert Whiting to a vortac? Will they use bigger tires on the B?

I believe the T-6B has a Tacan, but not 100% sure about that. And NSE is a VORTAC, by the way, it's just that the VOR hasn't worked in a couple of months. They intentionally don't certify it and put it on charts because then civilians would start using it for local approaches and there just isn't room for them.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I believe the T-6B has a Tacan, but not 100% sure about that. And NSE is a VORTAC, by the way, it's just that the VOR hasn't worked in a couple of months. They intentionally don't certify it and put it on charts because then civilians would start using it for local approaches and there just isn't room for them.

If the T6's are the same as the ones for the NFO training, then they won't have a Tacan. There was a nice space for it in the RMU, but sadly, the AF didn't want to pay for one to be installed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If the T6's are the same as the ones for the NFO training, then they won't have a Tacan. There was a nice space for it in the RMU, but sadly, the AF didn't want to pay for one to be installed.

They'll be different. Hence the "B" at the end of "T-6." I wish E6 would stop buy here and help end some of the speculation...

sundevil_av8r

pilot
does the aircraft need 4k feet for regulations or performance requirements? i would hope the plane could t/o and land in less than that. anyone know the actual t/o and landing distances?