• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6

BRM21o

How is the progress of replacing the T-34 coming along? Do any squadrons in Pensacola operate this aircraft yet? When is the T-6 "supposed" to be the sole Navy primary trainer? Looks like a pretty sweet ride...

t6_02.jpg

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Primary for NFOs uses the T-6. Hasn't happened for the pilot side of the house though, but it is on the horizon.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Aren't they going to have to lengthen a lot of runways first since the Air Force said no to adding BETA?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I was under the impressing that for us to have the T-6 at Whiting, it would NEED Beta. You can land w/o Beta at Whiting, but the real problem is the OLFs. The longest runway out in the areas is ~4k. Many are 3k. It will also end split field ops at Whiting, which doens't make me cry.

The AF not getting the plane with Beta was the dumbest idea ever.

Marine4life

I'd imagine that they would have to increase the size of A-292 with the T-6 coming online. The area is just too small for a whole bunch of T-6's to go cruising around in at high speed.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd imagine that they would have to increase the size of A-292 with the T-6 coming online. The area is just too small for a whole bunch of T-6's to go cruising around in at high speed.

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. Course rules would be REALLY quick!

What's Beta?

It reverses the pitch of the prop when all the wheels are on the deck. Basically, it's reverse thrust to help you slow down very quickly. Makes the T-34C stop on dime...relatively....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As of now, the FITU is slated to get their first two T-6B's fall of next year (barring an delay like in the past). Starting the process to pick at least 6 pilots to get qualified in it to start writing things like the FTI, course rules, etc. I'm raising my hand as high as possible, talking to the FITU about getting in on that action. The T-6B should have a HUD and glass cockpit but no reverse thrust :eek: which is stupid IMO.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was under the impressing that for us to have the T-6 at Whiting, it would NEED Beta. You can land w/o Beta at Whiting, but the real problem is the OLFs. The longest runway out in the areas is ~4k. Many are 3k. It will also end split field ops at Whiting, which doens't make me cry.

Been some talk about making South Field the full stop field with North the take-off field. A lot of kinks to be worked out. That's why the powers that be want to start getting the first few FITU IP's qualified to start early on this stuff. Certain OLF's will be off limits with the T-6....the ones we never see T-6's at.

The AF not getting the plane with Beta was the dumbest idea ever.

Concur on that one.

Malice 1

pilot
I remember hearing someone say that we are gonna end split field ops at North field and call it good. I also heard VT-6 is the first to get the T6. Thats all the unconfirmed gossip I've heard though.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I remember hearing someone say that we are gonna end split field ops at North field and call it good. I also heard VT-6 is the first to get the T6. Thats all the unconfirmed gossip I've heard though.

A lot of gossip out there but via the latest from CNATRA, VT-3 gets them first. M

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
The T-6B should have a HUD and glass cockpit but no reverse thrust :eek: which is stupid IMO.

A true glass cockpit? or the same as the A, which is analog gauges presented on LCDs. Who puts an analog fuel gauge on an LCD screen... so small that you're lucky if you can guess within about 20lbs? Only the Air Force....

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Certain OLF's will be off limits with the T-6....the ones we never see T-6's at..

So what does that leave? I have NEVER seen a T-6 in the pattern in any of the working areas, never even heard anyone mention seeing them either.

I'm sure writing a new FTI and course rules will be fun....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Been some talk about making South Field the full stop field with North the take-off field. A lot of kinks to be worked out. That's why the powers that be want to start getting the first few FITU IP's qualified to start early on this stuff. Certain OLF's will be off limits with the T-6....the ones we never see T-6's at.

That would be interesting. They'd need to make the taxi speed more than 10 knots though. :) I've heard similar things about the FITU...a buddy of mine is looking at becoming one of the stand ups. Bunk, you'll probably be gone by then, but I'll be over there shortly. Guess I'll have to ask around.

I hope E6B stops by and adds some info, since he's on the "board" for T-6 integration. I don't think A-292's size is that big a deal, nor are the CR. But only having 4 A/C in the pattern is going to kill the ability to get anything done at an OLF, especially w/ solos needing to get in.