• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 vs T-34

scubasteve38

Probably a slim chance that anybody on here has flown both, but it would be good info to know the pros and cons of each trainer

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't mean to be rude...let me restate.

The T-6 gives guys here in Meridian a distinct advantage...for about 36 seconds. After that, no one cares. Have fun!

Zippy's article linked above is very well done though...I'd take a look at that.

scubasteve38

I looked at it. It's definitely good info. Trust me I'm not asking because I want to know what will give me an edge or anything like that. I'm just trying to gain information. I'm not one of those people who's like dead set on any particular platform especially because I know it all depends mostly on the needs of the Navy, just getting the chance to fly is rewarding.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
The T-34 smells like the puke, sweat, and fear of thousands of Naval Aviators and folks that didn't make it. The T-6? It smells like the puke, sweat, and fear of not so many of the same.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
OK, I'll play the game. I've flown both as a VT instructor. Both planes have their pluses and minuses. What those differences amount to for the average cone? Not a whole hell of a lot. There isn't much difference between strong students (or weak ones for that matter) in the T-34 and the T-6.

For me the T-34 was a better aircraft for teaching spins, because it's a little more docile entering the spin, and in the bounce pattern because the tires were a lot more robust. The T-6 is a better instrument trainer because of the glass cockpit. In the end, it's mostly a wash for the students.

Scuba, if you're looking for an advantage, you're not going to find it by trying to "pick" which primary aircraft you fly. You'll succeed or suck based on your merits, not those of the aircraft.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Yes, what he said... I'm sure NavAir or myself can happily try to answer any specific questions beyond what we've put out.

I will say this though- The general level of prep from T-34 students coming into Fam-0 is much higher. Most of the T-6 guys i've encountered just show up and haven't put any effort into actually learning anything even though all of the info is out there for them- they just expect to be spoon fed it. I'm not sure if it's the Air Force influence on the program in it's infancy that has fostered this but it's actually quite annoying as an instructor. There's a lot more important stuff I can teach you during your Fam-0 if I don't have to stand around and watch your first attempt to break out the Quad fold and pre-flight the plane for a full hour, when you could have grabbed one of your bros who is 2 weeks ahead of you in the syllabus and had him spend 15 minutes to show you how its done. I'm not asking for you to build the damn thing, but It'd be nice if I didn't have to watch you try to figure out how to open up the engine compartment in the same manner as a monkey trying to figure out how to fuck a football bat in front of him.

Also, FYI with systems briefs- Don't hand your IP a shitty xerox copy of a NATOPS page with some whiteout thrown on it and expect them to be pleased with your systems knowledge... or if the IP is like NavAir, even give you a chance to start talking before he ends your brief and sends you packing and finds a student that acts like they want to be there that day.

A lot of primary flight training is gamesmanship. If an IP perceives that you are putting a lot of effort into studying and prepping for the program, you must want to be here. If an IP perceives that you are skating or doing the bare minimum, you must not really want to be here. Your grades, and your reputations as a student will reflect those perceptions accordingly. You may want to be here as much or more then the next guy or girl, but if you aren't acting like it theres 140+ other fine Americans (and internationals) surrounding you who do.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavAir42, what are your thoughts on the performance differences?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of primary flight training is gamesmanship. If an IP perceives that you are putting a lot of effort into studying and prepping for the program, you must want to be here. If an IP perceives that you are skating or doing the bare minimum, you must not really want to be here. Your grades, and your reputations as a student will reflect those perceptions accordingly. You may want to be here as much or more then the next guy or girl, but if you aren't acting like it theres 140+ other fine Americans (and internationals) surrounding you who do.

Pay attention, students.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Zippy (and NavAir), are you guys seeing an increased amount of "Facebook Students?" Kbay and I were talking about this a few weeks ago at how some studs at his level show up ready to be told everything. I've recently done a bunch of OFT 1 sims at the FRS level and seen a wide variety of preparation (or lack thereof).

As a VT IP, for the most part, guys showed up seeming at least somewhat prepared. For aircraft events at the FRS, I've generally seen the same, though I've done far fewer. Just curious if you guys are seeing a shift at the Primary level.