• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 or T-34?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If no beta then what about the OLFs? Those gotta be waaay too short for the T-6 w/o beta.

I heard something about them extending the rwys at Summerdale and some wishful thinking of opening Saufley back up (do people still actually live in those trailers?)... seems like a lot of things have to happen (and a lot of money has to be spent) IOT get this things rolling with the T-6.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I heard .... some wishful thinking of opening Saufley back up ... seems like a lot of things have to happen (and a lot of money has to be spent) IOT get this things rolling with the T-6.
Saufley??? The more things change ... next thing you know, OCS will be back in Newport, R.I. :eek:

But if faced with a choice of T-6 or T-34 of any make/mod .... go T-34. Get Navy training from day one; learn how to "do it" right. The USMC guys I knew who were AF trained in the ol' days suffered from it. :)

If given the option of door A or door B ..... Go Navy. Stay Navy.

HuggyU2

None
But if faced with a choice of T-6 or T-34 of any make/mod .... go T-34. Get Navy training from day one; learn how to "do it" right. The USMC guys I knew who were AF trained in the ol' days suffered from it. :)

If given the option of door A or door B ..... Go Navy. Stay Navy.
A4s,
It's a "joint world" now. Embrace it. :icon_mi_4

As a USAF pilot who's gotten to fly a whopping 1.6 hours in the T-6, and a massive 3.1 hours in the T-34C (at Corpus; did two-ship for the first half, single-ship for the second half of the flight), I appears the T-6 is a superior platform for anyone going to fly modern military aircraft. But, like everyone says, "the Machine doesn't make the Man".
You'll do fine whatever you end up in.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s,
It's a "joint world" now. Embrace it.
Joint world ?? It's bullshit. It's ONLY cost driven .... or do you mean "joint world" like the UN???

Or do you mean "joint" as in "Fly United" and "Baby Blue Skies" .... you DO remember that, yes??? What happened to THAT "joint world" heaven on earth?? Perhaps that's prior to your time .... but I know you've heard of Ferris .... and I don't mean Buehler. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

We agree: it ain't the machine; it's the man.

USN: If you can go with the best, why settle for second??? :)

HuggyU2

None
USN: If you can go with the best, why settle for second??? :)

I didn't settle for second!! :thumbup_1

And, yes, I'm somewhat familiar with "Dick" Ferris.

As for "joint", if we're going to fight together, we need to work more efficiently and powerfully together. There's lots of potential.
Personally, I think every AF squadron should have a Navy/Marine pilot on exchange to them. I've seen this benefit the U-2 community for a decade now. We just hired our first 2 Harrier drivers, and the first one PCS'd here last month. I've already spent time picking his brain, and learned many things that I did not know,... stuff that senior leaders should know, but probably don't. But if more squadrons had this opportunity, things would run a lot smoother,... and maybe we could get you guys to finally start wearing ascots.:icon_smil

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I didn't settle for second!! :thumbup_1 .... Personally, I think every AF squadron should have a Navy/Marine pilot on exchange to them. ...
What you "settled for" in civie street is, of course, a matter of opinion. Time is the great arbiter of all these questions that mortal men bump back and forth against. I actually turned down an offer from UAL way, way, way back. My self-generated recusal from "Dick & CO." seemed like a good idea at the time ... then it didn't seem like such a good idea ... and then, in the end, it seemed like a GREAT idea.

The moral of the story: Always go with your instincts .... and while I USED to believe in "Baby Blue Skies" ... 30 years in the airline business have taught me much ... :)

And AF pilots in Navy squadrons?? A capital idea. In fact, one of my instructors in VT-4 was AF and the gun boss -- when VT-4 was guns and CQ. He scared the living shit out of most of us, myself included. He even wore Wehrmacht style jackboots ... I kid you not.

But he did continuously maintain one thing: that AF flight training "made him sick" when compared to what "we" were getting in NAVAIRTRACOM ... his words, not mine. And this coming from a Nazi, too --- him, not me ... :)

plc67

pilot
Having known a few USAF trained Marine pilots back in the day I know there were some problems. Mostly dealing with the fact that the Air Force winged the students way before the Navy did. Going off long dead brain cells now but I believe the USAF was winging around 200 hours and the Navy jet pipeline was winging in excess of 300 hours so there was still a lot of training to be done when the lead wingers got to the RAG; and they were treated like SNAs, a la the old Flight 18 at VT1, by the Marine IPs.
The Army trained Marine helo pilots did just great, much to our dismay,at the helo RAG.

HuggyU2

None
What you "settled for" in civie is, of course, a matter of opinion. Time is the great arbiter of all these questions that mortal men bump back and forth against. I actually turned down an offer from UAL way, way, way back. My self-generated recusal from "Dick & CO." seemed like a good idea at the time ... then it didn't seem like such a good idea ... and then, in the end, it seemed like a GREAT idea.

The moral of the story: Always go with your instincts .... and while I USED to believe in "Baby Blue Skies" ... 30 years in the airline business have taught me much ... :)

And AF pilots in Navy squadrons?? A capital idea. In fact, one of my instructors in VT-4 was the gun boss -- when VT-4 was guns and CQ. He scared the living shit out of most of us, myself included. He even wore Wehrmacht style jackboots ... I kid you not.

But he did continuously maintain one thing: that AF flight training "made him sick" when compared to what "we" were getting in NAVAIRTRACOM ... his words, not mine. And this coming from a Nazi, too --- him, not me ... :)

What can I say? The "Nazi" had a very specific way of training, and it we didn't do it the way he wanted. But,...I've got very similar stories of AF guys that were not impressed with Navy tactical training. In many cases, I'm sure it's a lack of understanding of what "the other guy's" concerns/limfacs are. Hopefully, since the joint debacle of Desert Storm I, both services have worked hard to improve their act so that we ALL do it better,... and to a level that impresses our sister services.

Maybe forum moderators can get the Navy's F-22 exchange pilot to get on here some night, and post comments of his experience.

As for my selection of UAL,... time will tell, like you said. However, no matter what happens, I might never go back to the airlines. I'm probably more suited to a Part 91 job, or some other aviation-related venture. Aircraft sales and brokering comes to mind.

Rg9

pilot
I heard something about them extending the rwys at Summerdale and some wishful thinking of opening Saufley back up (do people still actually live in those trailers?)... seems like a lot of things have to happen (and a lot of money has to be spent) IOT get this things rolling with the T-6.
Every time I touched-and-went at Silverhill I thought I was going to roll off the end of the rwy or hit the trees on the climb. I can't imagine them using that place for T-6's, especially w/o beta. Lots of $$$, agreed. Too bad they plan to get rid of split-field ops... I love the expression when I explain it to the Corpus-Primary guys down here. It seemed like an efficient use of resources.

Heloanjin

pilot
Things may have changed, but Saufley is out for T-6 due to encroachment.

So far the only fields for T-6 are Barin, Evergreen, Brewton and Choctaw. All the others have issues that prevent extending them.

There was talk about trying to get into some of the Area One fields we are banned from currently like Edwards. Not sure where that stands.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...... I might never go back to the airlines. I'm probably more suited to .... Aircraft sales and brokering ...
That's kinda what I defaulted to when airline #1 crashed & burned post Deregulation Act.

My boss -- the VP of Training -- got some of us jobs inside the CO, a.k.a. the "Fuhrer Bunker" or Ft. Lawrence -- on the NW side of DFW. . My job was "VP of Aircraft Sales" ... I kid you not; a "real suit and tie airline VP" with all the attendant perks. It was good as long as it lasted .... but everytime I "sold" an aircraft, I was another set of seats further away from regaining a spot in the cockpit.

I guess they call that "irony"?? :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Every time I touched-and-went at Summerdale I thought I was going to roll off the end of the rwy or hit the trees on the climb. I can't imagine them using that place for T-6's, especially w/o beta. Lots of $$$, agreed. Too bad they plan to get rid of split-field ops... I love the expression when I explain it to the Corpus-Primary guys down here. It seemed like an efficient use of resources.

Plus just being able to say that it is the only field in the world (that I know of) that has the whole split-field thing going on.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Every time I touched-and-went at Summerdale I thought I was going to roll off the end of the rwy or hit the trees on the climb.

I was under the impression that was low-approach only... did you mean Silverhill? Or is the no T&G at Summerdale something new?