• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 or T-34?

Rg9

pilot
I was under the impression that was low-approach only... did you mean Silverhill? Or is the no T&G at Summerdale something new?
Uh... yeah, I meant Silverhill... :eek: ... haven't flown t-34 contacts for a long time... sorry (original edited). Whatever it was called, I still felt like I was going to die every time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Uh... yeah, I meant Silverhill... :eek:
Glad you clarified that ... I couldn't figure out where in the hell "Summerdale" was .... that was a new one on me.

Silverhill used to be our T-34B solo checkride field. We'd head over there from Saufley (collective callsign = Sioux Falls) with our Instructor in the back seat and do a few touch & goes ... then, assuming everything was just jakey .... he'd say: "Make the next one a full stop". >>>>>> :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Uh-Oh. Crunch time. >>>>>>:eek::eek::eek::eek:

After he bailed out of the back seat .... you'd do your checklists, taxi out, take-off, do your requisite T&G's (2-4??) and then another full stop on the Instructor's signal to pick him up. Silverhill was an uncontrolled field so we'd make the obligatory call in the blind: "Sioux Falls 123, Cross Wind RW whatever, Silver-He-O". We -- the gang of STUDs -- were usually too puckered to pronounce "Silverhill" properly .... thus "Silver-He-O" ... Chuck Yeager on the radio we weren't .... at least not yet. ;)

One guy flew back to Saufley and left his Instructor sitting at Silverhill -- I don't remember all the details, I just remember the howls of laughter later at the BOQ bar.

Speaking of "nervous" --- on our next -- and first true solo flight ... the big joke was the higher-than-desired voice pitch of the new solo STUD on frequency as he taxi'ed out of the line towards the tower and throat --- and making the required "solo" radio check with ground which frequently came out as a squeaky: "Sioux Falls ground, Sioux Falls 123 solio radio check .... ":)

We were just too young, too inexperienced, too puckered, and there were just too damn many "S's" in that particular radio call .... Sioux Falls solo radio .... it's amazing we made it. :D

Rg9

pilot
Good story! Summerdale is a field in A1, but is only used for low approaches.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Glad you clarified that ... I couldn't figure out where in the hell "Summerdale" was .... that was a new one on me.

Silverhill used to be our T-34B solo checkride field...

Great stories about "Da Hill". I love going out there for RDO, 25 minutes of solo bliss followed by 6 hours in the hot dog cart and then a nice slow flight down the coast to pick up the PAR.

As far as Summerdale, you need to check out that ancient OLF map that you had posted a while back, it is still around, still being maintained like it may open up tomorrow. Barin, Wolf, Summerdale, Silverhill, and Saufley are all still being maintained in area 1.

Saufley is opening back up once they clear out all the trailers. It, and Barin, are the only fields in A1 that will support the T-6. There has been talk of lengthening one of the other fields...we'll see. That would require big $$$ these days, especially in Baldwin county. New housing developments are sprouting up like weeds.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...As far as Summerdale, you need to check out that ancient OLF map that you had posted a while back, it is still around, still being maintained like it may open up tomorrow....
Roger that: I now see it; still drawing a blank, but obviously we "used" it for something ... I just don't remember. We did most of our low approaches and PPEL's to 4 Silo Farm. Plus, that's where we got the girls for Friday's at the O' Club.

Chalk one up to senility ...
:)

pensacolafl45sectkf4.jpg

T-34!!! I can't even imagine having to fly that and then go onto to some lame aircraft like an HH-60, P3, E6, or an EA-6!!! Ugh!!!!

EDIT: ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
T-34!!! I can't even imagine having to fly that and then go onto to some lame aircraft like an HH-60, P3, E6, or an EA-6!!! Ugh!!!!

I think you are joking.... or rather I hope you are joking. If so, remember that a smiley or two go a long way.

ramblin_rick

I agree with everything above. I'm an SNA at Vance right now, one of the dumb ones who thought it'd be cool to fly the T-6. as with everything hindsight is 20/20. the T-6 is pretty sweet, but i definitely can't wait to get back to the Navy. 3 months left...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I'm an SNA at Vance right now, one of the dumb ones who thought it'd be cool to fly the T-6. as with everything hindsight is 20/20. the T-6 is pretty sweet, but I definitely can't wait to get back to the Navy...
The defense rests.......

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I agree with everything above. I'm an SNA at Vance right now, one of the dumb ones who thought it'd be cool to fly the T-6. as with everything hindsight is 20/20. the T-6 is pretty sweet, but i definitely can't wait to get back to the Navy. 3 months left...
That is of course assuming that "we" let you back.:icon_smil

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

In the few interactions I've had with guys from Vance, they generally do fine with the early stage contacts, etc. I guess the Air Force has some different ways of flying instruments though that seems to be catching some of them up, at least at the beginning of the RI stage.