• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 at whiting?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Am I reading this wrong, or are people saying that the t-6 is easier to fly than the t-34? As far as too hard, I'm not saying that, it just seems like a broken system when an aircraft is ordered that limits further use of existing olf's in the current training area. Though, it doesn't really surprise me having observed the procurement process on the ordnance side. My most recent one was ERGM, man did that one get jacked up completely.

Existing OLF's were probably pretty low on the list of concerns when it came to the JPATS competition, as it should have been. I would assume that the Navy has some sort of plan to expand some of the OLF's to accomodate the T-6 in the next few years. If not, maybe they ought to start one.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Existing OLF's were probably pretty low on the list of concerns when it came to the JPATS competition, as it should have been. I would assume that the Navy has some sort of plan to expand some of the OLF's to accomodate the T-6 in the next few years. If not, maybe they ought to start one.

Everything is "supposedly" planned out. Not sure which fields specifically are going to be used or extended. I've seen T-6's at Barin. I think Saufley might be in use for the T-6. Out and in's to places like Florala is out of the question. Monvroeville can be used, seen T-6's there. Andalusia can probably be used as well.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Brewton has 2 5000ft runways. Bunk, do you have any idea what the safety margin is for solo studs in the T-6 (like the idea behind solo studs in T-34's not allowed to go to Silverhill with the 3000ft runways)?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Brewton has 2 5000ft runways. Bunk, do you have any idea what the safety margin is for solo studs in the T-6 (like the idea behind solo studs in T-34's not allowed to go to Silverhill with the 3000ft runways)?

No clue with respect to the T-6.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

The wing will make that call. At the FITU I don't think we used any runways that short.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Barin and one or both of the A2 fields are being extended. Summerdale is being refurbed and extended. Silverhill will be put in mothballs (similar to Summerdale now).

afdude03

Thanks for the replies. I will actually be heading down to Whiting to be an instructor. I was wanting to stay down there for as long as possible - longer than 3 years if able. Also I was curious how long an IP would expect to fly the T-34 before they switched over the the T-6. I'm sure its all dependent on when you show up, but if anyone has any info, that would be great.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies. I will actually be heading down to Whiting to be an instructor. I was wanting to stay down there for as long as possible - longer than 3 years if able. Also I was curious how long an IP would expect to fly the T-34 before they switched over the the T-6. I'm sure its all dependent on when you show up, but if anyone has any info, that would be great.

The first studs start flying them in Apr of 10 so if you're part of the first squadron to use them, you are good to go. Last squadron, may have a problem. Looks like I'll be over at NAS Pensacola next year and flying with either VT-4 or 10 but I've been invited back to be an associate over at TW-5. If I can get dual qual'ed, I'll do it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No official confirmation but I'm hearing VT-3 will probably be the first to get the T-6B when it arrives.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The advanced avionics/systems prepares studs for future platforms.

I know its been said but...You mean like the P-3 and COD?:D;) I think its funny that more than 60% of Naval Aviators will never fly a plane as fast and manuverable as the one they flew in primary.:D (60% being helo and P-3 bubbas...)

Something else to consider...Milton guys, help me out here...But I'd imagine that with all the extra speed the T-6 will have, it can likely get to fields that are further away from home plate within the confines of a standard 1.5 training flight.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Something else to consider...Milton guys, help me out here...But I'd imagine that with all the extra speed the T-6 will have, it can likely get to fields that are further away from home plate within the confines of a standard 1.5 training flight.

Probably takes about 15 minutes or so to make it to mobile downtown from Sherman in a t-6A, so maybe 20 from Whiting in a T-6B?

Most importantly for Milton IP's and studs: Food choices for Out-and-ins will be greatly expanded (Lake Charles)! I don't know how you guys handle cross countries, either, but I'd imagine more places would be available for those.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I know its been said but...You mean like the P-3 and COD?:D;) I think its funny that more than 60% of Naval Aviators will never fly a plane as fast and manuverable as the one they flew in primary.:D (60% being helo and P-3 bubbas...)

Well one, the COD is faster (top end) than both the T-6 and T-34. It accelerates faster than a T-34C. I doubt it will win a drag race against the T-6. The E-2 accelerates faster than a COD as well. I've seen 320KIAS at low level in the C-2, straight and level. I believe the first C-2 with the new glass cockpit is in the fleet or about to be in the fleet. Doesn't mean the C-2 is fun to fly, it's not...at least it wasn't for me. If it wasn't for the shore based, drinking thing, I would have gone nuts. For me, the fun part of the T-34C is, flying it is like driving one of those little go-karts at the indoor tracks vs driving a semi for the COD. You can do just about anything with it. I could see Hornet pilots being bored but coming from a trash hauler, it's fun for me. I just want a big more speed. The T-6 will be better in that regards, good power, acceleration and similar manuverablity. I don't fly cross countries in the T-34C, just too damn slow with no legs. I'm hoping with the T-6, I can get to altitude quickly and have good legs for cross country's. That's my goal when I come back with 4 or 10, fly plenty of cross country's and/or out and in's.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
3 bags in a T-34C can get you to Denver from Whiting. The T-6 will be incredible for cross countries. Whiting guys will be able to make it to San Diego if they want.

In terms of the T-6's avionics prepping you for future aircraft, it definitely has application for the future helo bubbas. All the new -60s will have glass cockpit, and at least the Sierra has VOR and ILS to work with as well. The Romeo, not so much.