• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45s in Primary?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
It is like their foosball table...never used but still there for the appearance of moderate morale.

the VT9 foosball table? we used that thing all the time. the weather in meridian usually meant we spent at least as much time playing foos as flying.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the VT9 foosball table? we used that thing all the time. the weather in meridian usually meant we spent at least as much time playing foos as flying.
No, Junior and I are/were VT9 types . . . which is why we're busting on 7. I sucked at foos, but my abilities went up significantly when bouncing . . .

Besides, the 7 studs probably have to clean and Brasso their popcorn machine if it is ever used . . . :D

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
When I was there, they told me that the benefit of the extra gas in the drop tanks was negated by the extra drag imposed by them.

Yeah, but the baggage pod is about the same size and shape and we don't even factor in it's effect on cross country range. I think the story about drop tanks having limited benefits is a myth generated by the sim building (and one t-45 hater in particular) to keep us from having some good old fashioned boondoggle cross country fun.

Junior

pilot
Yeah, but the baggage pod is about the same size and shape and we don't even factor in it's effect on cross country range. I think the story about drop tanks having limited benefits is a myth generated by the sim building (and one t-45 hater in particular) to keep us from having some good old fashioned boondoggle cross country fun.
Believe it or not the baggage does limit range, some of the Salinas det guys found it out. I've gone on the road without one because we would have been limited to .8 mach with it. Maybe there is some wierd airspeed limitation that makes drop tanks not feasible? Just a thought.

SNA1206

I dont see why the Navy doesn't use T-6's for primary. Its a great learning platform and they have no problem using it for primary at Vance for SNA's. The only thing that sucks about not having beta is taxiing. You just have to watch out not to heat the brakes up too bad.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont see why the Navy doesn't use T-6's for primary. Its a great learning platform and they have no problem using it for primary at Vance for SNA's. The only thing that sucks about not having beta is taxiing. You just have to watch out not to heat the brakes up too bad.

Uhh, hello?

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Believe it or not the baggage does limit range, some of the Salinas det guys found it out. I've gone on the road without one because we would have been limited to .8 mach with it. Maybe there is some wierd airspeed limitation that makes drop tanks not feasible? Just a thought.
You would be amazed at how far you can go in aT-45 at FL380 with favorable winds if Center doesn't kick you out. Although if they do, you darn well better have a divert handy. This RVSM thing pretty much screws an aircraft whose most efficient cruise is at FL380-400 IIRC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Uh, yeah. Read the first 3 pages of the thread.